BambooHR Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at BambooHR

3.3

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at BambooHR.

Interview

The first interview is done on Hirevue and is a recorded web video. It was 6 questions and took about 20 minutes to complete. Afterward I was told I'd be contacted. After submitting my initial application and resume I was contacted for this interview without 48 hours.

Junior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at BambooHR in February 2017.

Interview

I wish I had something more positive to share. But the truth is when you peel back the aggressive great-place-to-work marketing, this place is like any other Utah-based organization. I went into this opportunity excited and optimistic. I left it feeling less than.

This role came to me before it was posted publicly. In my initial conversation with the recruiter, it sounded like a great opportunity until he mentioned it was a junior role. My resume clearly indicates I'm not a junior candidate, he knew that, so this was pretty deflating to see that the only time he wanted to speak with me was when it was for an entry level opportunity. Similarly disconcerting was the fact that he wouldn't discuss salary with me, or in his words, they hadn't figured that part out - likely because it was a junior level role and he knew I wouldn't interview if he shared that info.

The meeting with the interviewer was bizarre. It was uncomfortably casual.

First, when I asked about the seniority level of the role (thinking back to the recruiter's comments about it being junior), he asked, "Do titles matter?" The short answer is yes, because they typically precipitate the salary. So we had a discussion on titles in which he went on and on about why titles don't matter, and what really matters is what you do. They even have a chintzy article about why titles don't matter at Bamboo.

Ironically, considering the statement about what you do being more important than your title, was when I was discussing my background regarding data-driven roadmapping and my other accomplishments. He balked at the idea of using actual metrics to make product decisions. So when I asked how they roadmap or otherwise make product decisions, he said, "We just listen to the market, man." I still don't know what that means because in my mind, doing market research, or in other words, collecting data/metrics, is listening to the market.

Finally, when I talked about my current academic pursuits in an MBA program, he told me how he didn't like working with MBAs as he had bad experiences with them in the past. At this point, I realized there was no winning with this guy. This is an odd thing to say because Bamboo actively promulgates media about how they want their people to become better, more educated, advance in their respective careers. So why deride a candidate for doing the same?

The rejection email I received from him was honest, I didn't expect anything short of that considering his sometimes brutal honesty during our meeting. The email also indicated he had met with some other candidates but wasn't impressed with them either, so he was going to keep looking.

I gathered a few things from the meeting:

-The title issue is important because organizations can use titles to stifle pay and advancement. Saying it's not important is a kitschy way in which a manager makes a candidate think he or she is overthinking it. It is a form of gaslighting and a terrible omen of what's to come.

-Balking at the unique contributions a candidate has made to their current organization doesn't do a whole lot to motivate their continued interest in the role and organization. Data is important whether you think so or not. Likewise, your trivializing of a candidate's background is an indicator of your poor culture

-Being that they wouldn't disclose the salary, wouldn't take a hardline stance on what the title was, their rejection of the notion of metrics-driven product management, and that the hiring manager couldn't find what he was looking for in several candidates, this leads me to believe that they're flying, albeit fraudulently esoterically, by the seat of their pants. That's fine if you're a startup, but Bamboo is not. There's way too much fluidity in all the aspects of this role, their hiring process, and organizational decision-making to indicate any form of stability.

No candidate should ever walk away from an interview feeling worse about themselves. The end.

Channel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at BambooHR (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

No phone calls or discussions, it was an email invite and then a video based interview.
    The video interview was a canned interview, nothing live. 5 questions were posed, you had thirty seconds to prepare for the response, then under two minutes to respond.
    Very dry and impersonal.

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT) in March 2015.

Interview

I did a video interview first, then they called me for a phone interview. After that I came in and had an interview with my manager, the online marketing manager. Then we scheduled another time to chat in the office since we ran out of time on the first day. Then the marketing team took me out for lunch. Then finally my new manager took me and my wife to lunch and extended the offer and then I called the next day and accepted the position. A wonderful experience overall. They make sure they are hiring the right people which means if you are accepted you will have a great team to work with. The interviews were very friendly and the questions are not super tough. They are just thorough to understand your experience and your fit with the culture.

Interview Questions

• What have to done to expand and grow your success in your previous role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave a great offer and I did not even feel a need to negotiate.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at BambooHR in September 2016.

Interview

I was only given the opportunity to record a video interview, which was very awkward and inorganic. It asked questions about my experience and some marketing-related questions, and then I would have a few minutes to record an answer. I found it very difficult to be myself while talking to a computer screen. I was surprised that a company so well-known for its HR practices wouldn't at least do a phone or live video interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you know a marketing event is successful?   1 Answer

BambooHR Response

Feb 23, 2017 – Recruiter/Talent Acquisition Partner

First, many thanks for considering us. The video interviews can take some getting used to. We made a fun video that many find helpful: https://bamboohr.wistia.com/medias/ji33xtqnbm. We apologize this... More

Marketing Interview

Interview

You submit some basic information through an online form, then get a form email with a link to HireVue, which is a video interview platform that shows you video prompts with questions and you get a limited amount of time to respond.

Going into it, I was all for the idea of recorded video interviews. It seemed like an efficient way to screen many applicants and reduce overhead in a traditionally time-intensive process. I ignored the other reviews that panned this approach and gave it the benefit of the doubt. But I've completely changed my mind based on the following observations:

1. The HireVue software is really clunky. You get the impression that it really only has to do a few things right, but it just doesn't feel intuitive, attractive, or well-organized (there's a big difference between using white space in design and using the space you have poorly).

2. It's robotic and one-sided. Asking someone to use/acquire a webcam and microphone, "learn as much as you can" about the company, then require that it all be done within three days seems a bit demanding. This wouldn't stand out so much if there were some indication that a real human had viewed my application and resume, but until this point all I had were form emails that are obviously 100% automated.

3. The opaqueness of it all. You go through HireVue, record your answers, submit everything, then... what? HireVue's algorithm spits out an assessment based on your posture? Someone watches your first answer and makes up their mind? Since you don't have any chance to review your own responses and don't get any direct feedback, it's anybody's guess.

4. No two-way communication. After jumping through those hoops and getting an automated rejection email, I asked for some honest feedback to take away from the experience. Any answer would have sufficed—we decided to hire from within, we wanted to see more from you in ___, your answer on ___ wasn't that great, etc. But to get no response at all was downright hurtful. After all we'd been through together, too.

Then again, if I'm honest, this relationship felt like it was pulled straight from the title of Lars and the Real Girl.

Can't Remember Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT).

Interview

I've been to enough interviews to know and understand that HireVue is the best way to weed out weirdos. My husband works there and encouraged me to apply. I've had a bad taste in my mouth about BambooHR since he started--seriously, YUCK--but I went in for my face to face interview, because my husband loves his job and I thought maybe they're handing out gold bars every Tuesday or something. The interview was weird. She didn't look at my resume, didn't ask about skills, just wanted to know what I do in my spare time, asked about my kids, etc. I kept trying to pull it back to my qualifications but it seemed like she wasn't even interested in that, and kept asking me about my pet birds, what kind of music I like, etc. I was super weirded out by it, but after the interview she walked me around and introduced me to a bunch of people, so I figured I was being considered. I was shut down with a template email later that day. The interview was weird, and while employees might like the perks they toss at ya, it's been impossible for me, as a spouse of a devoted employee, to get excited about this company and its alleged work-life balance that exists, but not really.

Interview Questions

• How old are your kids? What do you like to do in your spare time? What's your favorite genre of music?   1 Answer

Media Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT) in May 2018.

Interview

They first sent you a Hirevue recorded interview, then I had a phone screening, then had a one on one interview with the hiring manager, then had another in-person interview with the hiring manager and a few members of the marketing team.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle someone who you were supervising not meeting a deadline?   Answer Question

Marketing Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

The initial interview process was very quick. Submitted my application, completed Hireview, and had an in-person interview within a week. Another week went by and I was turned down for the job.

Two weeks later, the position I had interviewed for was posted again. I reached out to the hiring manager asking for a second look which was graciously given a week later along with an assignment.

I invested several hours into the assignment, but sadly another week after I submitted it, I was automatically disqualified from consideration because I had others look over my work - a requirement unmentioned by the hiring manager. I understand why, but also appreciate the value of collaboration in the workplace. I just wish I had known.

I'm grateful for the extra consideration given by the hiring manager, but ultimately disappointed that proper expectations were not communicated thus leading to an automatic disqualification.

A result of this experience, I will be recommending others to think twice before applying to BambooHR. I'm not sure people will want to work for a company that finds fault in others for their own failure to communicate.

Interview Questions

• If a company wants to do a different webinar from Bamboo, how would you approach that?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a mistake and how you resolved it   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, then had a HireVue interview, then I had 2 in-person interviews. They lasted different lengths and were pretty in-depth. The HireVue interview is not as bad as people say. Just answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you got done and the process and results you saw.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at BambooHR (Lindon, UT) in January 2015.

Interview

After applying, the first step is a video interview. Then, if you pass that step, you will have a phone interview. Next comes the in-person interview(s), and then a personality test to check for culture fit. After that, if selected, you will receive an offer letter. BambooHR is extremely choosy in the individuals they extend offers to. Once in, you join a pretty elite group of awesome people. :)