Barings Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Barings

2.8

Sort:

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barings in August 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by HR representative and asked to come in for a first round of interviews. Talked to a direct manager and a colleague who explained more about the job. Second round was also with a superior and another colleague. It gave me an opportunity to learn more about work life balance directly. Finally, there was a short meeting with HR. They made an offer in about a week.

Interview Questions

• How will the previous work experience help you in this position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barings (Amherst, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

IT was very straight forward, interview with HR then interview with a PM and a senior analyst. Basic questions about what you know about structured credit and why you are interested as well as your background.

Legal Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barings (Charlotte, NC) in February 2017.

Interview

Ghost & Repost". Read on, you'll see what I mean:

Applied online in January, in-person interview then set for early Feb. I had a great 4.5 hour interview with 7 consecutive people (yes it was that long and with that many people!), everything went great, everyone was professional and knowledgeable. I emailed everyone customized thank you letters. I received a voicemail 5 days later from human resources (HR) who said that all my interviewers really liked me and that the company still had to interview other candidates "as a matter of protocol" (that's and exact quote from HR) and if I had any questions to please contact her. I did not know whether to be hopeful or WTF about the voicemail--were they interested or putting me on ice as their ace in the hole until they found someone better? So I called HR to nicely ask about my candidate status. 2 weeks went by with no response. I also emailed HR and she never responded. I have a tracking app on my email so I know when someone has opened my emails. She had opened it yet never responded.

In the meantime, one of my interviewers called me to let me know that a headhunter had sent over a bunch of resumes for the position. The decision maker, who she said is a very indecisive person, became stalled even though all the others I interviewed with wanted me on the spot. Two more weeks go by and I email the decision maker to find out my candidate status. A few hours later HR called and seemed a bit annoyed with me. I tactfully explained that I had not heard back from her in 4 weeks despite my voicemail and email in response to her post-interview communication to me. She tried to back-pedal but when she searched her emails she apologized to me for her lack of communication.

2 days later I get a call for a second interview. I was thoroughly prepared as I was for the 1st interview. I had 7 people interview me but 2 of them were repeats-the decision maker (#1) and the person whose duties I'd be taking over (#2). These 2 were my 1st interviewers and they tagged teamed. However, things were weird from the onset. #2 had a look on her face like a deer caught in the headlights as if she received some awful news just before the interview. #2 appeared nervous and rattled. #1 started off with some pleasantries then blindsided me with negativity.

The 1st question was "What are the biggest regrets in your career?". I gave a honest, benign response and then #1 asked "What are your biggest weaknesses?". I gave an honest answer with a positive spin. #2 grabbed on the weakness portion of my answer and not the positive portion. I reiterated that I had completely overcome the weakness (which really wasn't a serious flaw at all) but it was to no avail. The rest of my time with #1 & #2 was a constant circling back to my weakness and whether I could master their learning curve. I emphasized that my combined education and work experience put me in an ideal position to master any learning curve very quickly and I spoke of specific accomplishments in my career to indicate I am up for any challenge. They nodded but I could see that they regarded me as a "no sale". The interview ended pleasant but the intuitive person I am knew that something was seriously wrong here.

The remaining 5 people were knowledgeable and reasonable. However, one person was so unprofessional--she had long green fake nails (left over from a St. Patty's Day party), was dressed sloppy and she was chewing bright green gum (left over from that same St. Patty's Day party?). It was her 1st visit to Charlotte and she was more interested in partying that night than interviewing me. I felt like I was babysitting a 4 year old that wanted to go to Disney World rather than clean up her room.

After a 4 hour interview I really hoped that I got the job only for all the time I invested in the interview process. I emailed everyone customized thank you letters. I heard back almost 3 weeks later by voicemail from HR that they decided to go with another candidate. I accepted that outcome because after that second interview I started getting second thoughts about working for people who are inconsistent and indecisive in their behavior and who would present an unprofessional gum-chewer to a job candidate. I actually felt relief that I got off the roller coaster ride, too much up and down, no consistency, poor communication, ultimately a very unprofessional interview process. I cringe when I think of what chaos it would be in the day to day work. I am so grateful to be out of the interview process so I post this review as a cautionary tale for other candidates.

I noticed that they recently reposted the position I interviewed for. I was curious so I contacted HR to inquire and she said that the repost was for "technical reasons". That response makes no sense, but given the amateur-hour antics of their interview process, it makes complete sense.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest regrets in your career?"   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barings (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

The HR member reached out to me by phone and asked a few resume questions, such as "tell me about yourself?"
    Later, the interviewer moved to more technical, firm-specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Barings? Why the interest in our Real Estate division? Tell me about your relevant experiences?   1 Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barings in May 2017.

Interview

Cold call from the managing director. Started off by saying that the interview "will only take 10 minutes." I was anticipating something along the lines of a brief overview of my resume. The next words out of the manager's mouth was "can you mathematically derive the negative convexity function of a mortgage-backed security?" Some other technical questions were thrown in, mainly to do with SQL and MATLAB. Wasn't really expecting this interview to be so technical. The manager also gave off a weird vibe... defensive and almost nauseously snooty. I couldn't get one sentence out before he interjected. I asked about the history of the position, and he blurted out "Why are you asking that? What's the purpose? No one ever leaves my group. People want to get IN my group." "No... I was just wondering if this is a new position or-" "I have PhDs working for me. They all stay here. Why are you asking this?"

Insanity.

Interview Questions

• Question on the mathematical and general properties of products that exhibit negative convexity.   Answer Question
    • Question on how to write out a SQL query for pulling data.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barings (Charlotte, NC) in March 2017.

Interview

Application
    I applied online. The process took 2 months. 2 months to hear back regarding the posting.

Interview
    Ghosted and Unprofessional (read more below)
    I applied online in January and had interviews in March. The first warning should've been that it took 2 months to get a response back from the posting.

Interviewed with 4 people. 2 teammates, Hiring Manager and HR.

The HR interview went really well. The interviewer was competent and probing and engaging. Not sure if it's cool or not, but I received details on a benefits package at an HR interview. I thought that was a good sign, as that information is usually not handed out or discussed until an offer is extended. I was wrong.

Interviewing with the teammates was ok. I've never had team interviewers read from an interview sheet that was a bunch of printed out standard questions. The questions were not role related. In that, the interview felt generic.

After the hours-long interviews, I felt ok with it all. It was a mixed experience, but the job seemed like a good next step.

Salary range discussed: Was far below industry and what I've been interviewing for, but I was open because the benefits package seemed great.

Followup from the Company.
    After the interview and 2 follow-ups, I never heard anything back from HR regarding their final decision. They just ghosted. As the saying goes, if they don't value you in the recruitment process, they definitely won't value you as an employee.

Tips:
    --Be sure to get clarity on their decision-making process and how long it will take. If you follow-up and don't hear from them within the timeframe. Let it go.
    --Be sure to ask for business cards or emails, they're kind of stingy with them.

Interview Questions

• What is your great strength/weakness   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barings.

Interview

Had 2 back to back on campus interviews. Received a phone call about 2 or 3 weeks later to find that I got the internship position

High Yield Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barings in September 2017.

Interview

Questions were pretty simple. Mix of technical (financial statements) and behavioral (your definition of success). Interviewers also asked if staying in the Southeast was a priority or if I was interested in relocating

Interview Questions

• Tell me the difference between the 3 financial statements   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barings (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

I interviewed for the Strategic Relationship Management Analyst role in New York.

Full disclosure: most of the process was seamless and a positive experience overall. However, the reason for my negative review is because of the way in which I received my rejection notification.

I applied online and was promptly contacted by HR for a phone screen. The call went well, and immediately after the recruiter reached out to set up 2 phone interviews with members of the team. Those took place a few days after the initial phone screen. After the two scheduled phone calls a team member suggested having one last phone interview with a different teammate. After the three phone interviews, I was invited to come into the New York office. This was a long day of 7 interviews back-to-back. Overall it was a positive experience as I had the opportunity to meet employees from a variety of groups. The majority of the questions were behavioral in nature.

Within 24 hours I sent each of my interviewers customized thank you emails. After the in-person interviews HR sent over instructions for an assignment, which I had 24 hours to complete (they were supposed to send it the night before but forgot, but it wasn't a big deal as mistakes happen). I completed the assignment, sent it back to the recruiter and then I went away for a 2 week vacation.

I returned from vacation and, to my surprise, had received no updates. I returned to work, let a few more days go by. Nothing. Finally I reached out to the recruiter asking for a general timeline for when I can expect an update. I received a quick response that they in fact had news to share! She then called me to let me know they had gone with another candidate. Our phone call must have served as her reminder to close out the req online, because as soon as I hung up I received an auto-generated rejection email thanking me for my application to Barings, but I wouldn't be moving forward in the process at this time.

Had I not reached out to inquire about a status update, I don't think I would have heard from them again. I understand that companies receive a high volume of applicants for roles; however, I feel that after 4 phone conversations, 7 in-person interviews and creating a presentation that I deserved the common courtesy of a proactive phone call or email to make me aware of my rejection.

I want to reiterate that the rest of the process ran quite smoothly and the Strategic RM team was great. However, after my experience I consider it a blessing that I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to move companies?
      Can you give a quick overview of Barings and this role?
      What are you looking to do in 5-10 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barings (Charlotte, NC) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied on school's career site and received an on campus interview about a month later. It then was followed by a Super Day with 3 interviews. Most of the questions were basic behavioral and fit questions, and asked about experience with technical programs.