Barnum Financial Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnum Financial Group Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2017

Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group.

Interview

Very engaged in outside activities, sports, community involvement. Met one on one for two interviews and then an interview with about 7 people including everyone who ran the internship program besides the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Some questions on experience was difficult since I did not have much. (This is where they like to see extracurricular).   1 Answer

Negotiation

None needed.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Shelton, CT) in June 2016.

Interview

Proactive interview with SHRM, 2nd round with multiple teams, final round with SHRM.

Overall found everyone in the firm to be extremely driven and charismatic. It's clear that the culture is very competitive and that the type of people who thrive here are competitive, determined people.Though I wasn't interviewing for a Financial Advisory position, I still felt like I was important to the people I met with and that they were heavily invested in my career interests and potental. Also saw a very good work/life balance around the firm, which was really nice to see- a lot of family oriented people and friendships outside of the office.

Interview Questions

• What do you enjoy doing in a work environment?
      What motivates you?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Hartford, CT).

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. They were very friendly and cared a lot about what drives you as a first year. I had initial informal phone call where they focused on personality. The next interview was in person and had two parts. First one was the same recruiter that I spoke on the phone. She went through what made Barnum- Barnum then allowed me to answer and questions. The following meeting was more of a behavioral and finding out what kind of person I am on a working level (competitiveness and passions). One last interview was with my direct supervisor if I was to join. He made it clear how exclusive it was and grilled me on what my working conditions would be like. I ended up passing on the offer due to location but was one of the best interview experiences I have had.

Interview Questions

• What activities in my past showed my competitive drive? Tell me about the high and low points.   1 Answer

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmsford, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Elmsford, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The most ridiculous interview process I have ever experienced. 7 rounds of interviews for an entry-level position at an unknown firm. I am not kidding. I was contacted via email by a recruiter by Indeed (Jim Cooney) for an initial phone screen in November 2015. Thereafter I had two in-person interviews with Jim, and then was pulled in for two more interviews with Cooney and Michael Bucci - all while being a full-time student. Was then asked to come in for two more interviews, one with George Gerhard and a group of junior advisors. Following this, I was given a "contingent offer" where I was expected to pass my licensing exams within a short period of time (1 month). Only then would I proceed to the final panel interview, where they would ultimately make the final decision. The salary offer was insulting. I do not recommend this firm to anyone who is interested in a career in Sales or Financial Advising.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any QUESTIONS for us? (Asked approximately 5 times during each interview)   1 Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Shelton, CT).

Interview

The interview process didn't seem like an interview, rather more of an initial conversation then told to complete an online quiz. After the quiz is submitted they have you come back to review the results to see if you are the right fit. If you are more sales-oriented then the results should show that, and that would help qualify you as a viable candidate.

Interview Questions

• What concerns to you have about the job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Shelton, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

I was called by two separate employees and had Two separate interviews. One in a panel and one in a one on one environment. I was prepare with questions they were going to ask me.

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Shelton, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

Long interview process, but most of that is getting licensed. They take the time to really learn about you and make sure that you are right for them and that they are right for you. Went through 3 rounds of interviews before a final panel interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Finance Adviser Apprentice Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shelton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (Shelton, CT) in April 2015.

Interview

The process included two phone interviews, followed by a panel interview at the Shelton office. I took the phone interviews while I was still at school. The phone interviews were pretty casual, I do not believe there were any technical questions. After two phone interviews, I traveled to Shelton for the panel interview, which involved 6 interviewers sitting at a table asking questions. It looked intimidating at first, but the interview lasted no longer than 10 minutes, and all of the interviewers were very friendly. The process involved mostly personality questions rather than technical questions, however, I would still try to learn the basic finance that an entry adviser would need to know. Also, it would look good if you went to the interview knowing which exams an adviser needs to pass. For example, the series exams (6,7,65,66) and CFP.

Interview Questions

• They asked the general questions that you would expect for a financial adviser role, such as... Why do you want to do this? Why do you think you would be good at this?

They mostly assessed my personality, after all, the position relies on people skills. They did not ask that many technical questions, if any. They asked various questions about school and life in general and are happy to see any individual that displays confidence.

Lastly, they did ask one question that you can prepare for, they ended the interview by asking, "Why are you a better choice than other candidates?" I suggest preparing your answer ahead of time for this question, I imagine this is one of the more important answers they are looking for.
      1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group.

Interview

Initial contact was by me when I followed up on a submitted application. Process moved along decently fast. It's a short internship period, as of 2014 it was an eight-week internship.

Interview Questions

• There were no curveballs at all. First round interview was my only interview and it was very behavioral and resume based. I got an offer after the first and only interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

$12/hour, there was no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnum Financial Group (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Company seemed great and loved the atmosphere but was kept in the dark for over a month on the response. I had to continuously email them to see what happened and not one employee had any idea.