Bechtel Marine Propulsion Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 24, 2017

2.6

Facility Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Idaho Falls, ID) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, essentially a cold call. I had worked on projects with this company in the past, an when they found out I was available they reached out. Unfortunately I was in Hawaii at the time and the recruiter did not take the time zone into consideration and woke me in the middle of the night. I'm sure I didn't put my best foot forward. However, he did schedule me for a follow-up phone interview.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer didn't ask any difficult questions, really his only question was " tell me about yourself"   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

I applied online. When I got a call, I was scheduled for an interview 3 to 4 weeks out. The interview was a 4 hour process with HR and a few hiring managers/engineers. I met with each of them individually. We went into great detail about the company culture, the job, and the benefits. I was told I would be contacted no sooner that 2 weeks with either a phone call with an offer or an email with no offer and they followed through with a phone call.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my resume, experience, and situational work place questions.   Answer Question

Entry Level Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

I was invited to a phone interview with a software developer. I applied to this job twice once in 2015 and just a few weeks ago in 2016. The guy interviewing had my resume from 2015 and said my resume was not up to date (blaming me for this when I know and even double checked I submitted my most up to date resume.) he immediately asked for my gpa which was a 2.9. Told me my gpa was below a 3.0 which is an eliminating factor. I told him my major gpa is a 3.4 so I appeared like I wasn't incompetent...he made note of it. He continued to interview me regardless but I felt it was a waste of time.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

Very basic phone interview with resume based questions. Did not step onto facility until the first day of orientation. Described the job functions that would be required as well as description and history of the company and its values.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Schenectady, NY).

Interview

About 2 weeks after submitting my application online, I received a call from a hiring manager asking some basic questions about my availability and background. I was then flown out for an on-site interview. I got a cab ride to the laboratory and had to leave my phone and any other electronics back at the hotel, as they are not allowed on-site, even for employees.

The interview itself was with 5 engineers in that group. We went over my resume and discussed my previous experiences. Most of the behavioral questions they asked were tailored to my background, so they were pretty easy to answer. They asked a few basic technical questions as well, related to fluid mechanics and heat transfer.

It took a few weeks for all interviews for the position to wrap up, and then I was eventually given an offer. After you accept the offer, you must take a drug test and wait for a pre-employment background check to be completed. This check takes about 2-3 weeks, and then the security personnel will grant you access to the e-QIP application (the SF86 for a security clearance). When I was hired, L clearances were typically taking 3-4 months, but now after the OPM shutdown, they are taking 9-12 months or MORE. The Department of Energy doesn't grant interim clearances, so you can easily be stuck waiting for over a year just to start the job. It is very frustrating to wait, and you will not receive much help or news from anybody involved because the clearance process has zero transparency. If you need a job right away, I would keep looking.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the naval nuclear propulsion program, or about nuclear power in general?   Answer Question

IT Administrator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

On my 4th month post job acceptance. They said security clearance could take 8 months. So far it seems as if this will take up to the full amount of time. The government does not like to be quick. A lot of hurry up and wait.

Entry Level Reactor Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Pittsburgh, PA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online where I found the job posting on either indeed or simplyhired. I got a call a month later and they set up the interview for 3 weeks later.

I spent the night at a hotel in Pittsburgh which would be the same building where the interview would be held. 7:30 AM we all met downstairs where we waited until the rest of the interviewees showed up and the managers were ready. We then went downstairs to a meeting room where the 20 of us got a presentation about the company, the benefits, and the security clearance process. They said it would take from 6 - 12 months for the clearance but you could work at another company while the process is taking place. After this presentation we were all given our schedules with our interviews and meetings listed. I went to HR/Fingerprints first where I got finger printed, my pictures taken, and I got to talk to HR about any questions I had as well to go over the paperwork I had filled out.

I then had two interviews back to back which took place in a hotel room upstairs. I had my assigned room and the interviewers would meet me there and then leave once they were done. I met with a manager and then a principal engineer who was working there for 12 years. The manager was more stern but the engineer seemed very upbeat. They both asked general behavioral questions or just asked questions based upon what was listed on my resume.

At the beginning they said it would be 3-4 weeks before anyone was contacted so I have not heard back yet since it has been only a day or two.

Interview Questions

• What was a mistake you made and how did you deal with it?
      How do you deal with conflict within a team?
      How do you motivate yourself to deal with work that you may feel is below your job position.

Asked to elaborate on projects from school.   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Interview

Was left a voicemail by HR Friday afternoon of a holiday weekend asking me to come and interview in two weeks. I called one day after the holiday, Monday, and was told that all interview slots had been filled but they would contact me if they decided to bring in additional candidates.

Shift Refueling Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Idaho Falls, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion (Idaho Falls, ID) in May 2016.

Interview

Flown into local hotel where interviews would be held the next day. Interview lasted 45 minutes with a panel of managers from various departments. Interview was also accompanied by drug test, background paperwork, and fingerprints. The process was like a well oiled machine, there were probably 20 candidates there, not all for the same position.

Interview Questions

• What is your dream engineering job like?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if your job required you to do something that makes no sense?   Answer Question

Health Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Bechtel Marine Propulsion.

Interview

It took three months from application to interview. There were 3 of us there interviewing for the same position. A woman from HR picked us up in the morning to drive to the laboratory. She was very pleasant to be around. We each interviewed before taking a tour of the plant. The interview lasted roughly 45 minutes and was with 2 hiring managers. Interviewers were charismatic and friendly. We then took drug screens and ate lunch at the cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experience prepare you for this role?   Answer Question