Bend Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bend Research Interview Questions

2.5

Research Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bend, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bend Research (Bend, OR) in December 2015.

Interview

I had a 30 minute interview at a recruiting event. Then they flew me to Bend for a full day of interviews. They paid for everything for my trip there. It took almost 2 months from when I applied until my interview. The on-site interview lasted from 9-3, and I had about 10 half hour interviews throughout the day. I had to submit a writing sample before I went. Every other interviewer asked me a few technical questions. A couple of them even only asked me technical questions during their interview. I was not prepared for this because anyone I had talked to said they only asked a couple really easy questions. I think the technical questions would have been okay if I had just reviewed a few key concepts. I think their interview process is getting more rigorous.

Interview Questions

• They drew out a process flow diagram for a spray dryer and asked me to talk about how the temperature, pressure and flowrate of all of the streams would effect the outlet temperature. Then they asked me to write out an energy balance on the system. This was a really long and involved question. I also had to answer questions about the drying process and Fick's law.   Answer Question
    • They drew out a shell and tube heat exchanger and asked me to list all of the variables that you could change that would impact the rate of heat transfer. They expected me to have the Re number formula memorized.   Answer Question
    • There was a question about fluid flow and an accelerating plate. I had to draw the velocity profile for different situations. They asked about shear stress.   Answer Question
    • What would happen if you put a capsule in water or a sugar solution.   Answer Question
    • There was a question about pKa and when it's equal to pH.   Answer Question

Research Chemist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bend, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bend Research (Bend, OR).

Interview

I came for an interview on the Friday before Memorial Day. They paid for some of my travel expenses (hotel for 2 nights; I had to pay for transportation to and from home, which at that time was in Corvallis, I had just graduated from OSU.) I did a phone screen interview, and then came on site for the second interview.

I talked to 5 people from various departments in the morning. I had a few good conversations. They did not tell me anything about what I'd be doing everyday, and instead were more interested in what I would expect from the job there (I think they were waiting for me to say "I'm a dedicated researcher", and when I didn't say those words, that was the quick beginning of the end.) I then went for lunch with two guys who did not even tell me what departments they were from. They talked about their kids and about how much money their homes were now worth since they had bought them. After we returned from lunch, the interview was suddenly over. The said "oh, the 3 more people we wanted you to talk to are all going to be busy this afternoon so we'll end it right here. You can expect somethin' in the mail from us." (I assumed the 'something' would be an offer letter or a rejection letter). I got nothing. I emailed the lady who I had set everything up with originally a couple weeks later to follow up. About a week went by after that and I then got an email from someone completely different, who I had not met during the interview, that said "Thanks for taking the time to come interview, but we are pursuing other candidates and your candidacy is no longer being reviewed by us."

Overall I found them to be rather unprofessional. I'm glad they didn't make me an offer. A month later I got a job as a QC chemist up in Portland, which was much more to my liking and more in line with my professional goals. I was never a big fan of Harry Lonsdale (founder of this company) anyway, so just as well.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is the difference between normal phase and reverse phase HPLC?
      2. How would you indentify an unknown if a sample of "organic/inorganic gunk" was given to you?
      3. What questions do you have for me or for us?
      4. Why do you want to work here?
      5. Are you looking for other jobs?   Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bend, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bend Research (Bend, OR) in October 2014.

Interview

Everyone was very friendly and positive. Asked good questions related to the job. Took almost 3.5 months from my initial application turn in before I was called for an interview.

Associate Chemical Engineer, Research Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Bend Research (Boulder, CO) in September 2012.

Interview

Found information through CU Boulder career website. They attended the CU career fair. I applied through the university and through their own website. The 1/2 hour on-campus interview was with two young engineers in similar positions to the one I was applying to. They seemed nice enough but a little bit skeptical/unfriendly for some reason. I heard back from them 10 days after the interview, through an automated email, that I wouldn't be offered the position. I think they greatly value prior experience in the pharmaceutical industry.

Interview Questions

• They drew out a simple process flow diagram and asked questions about what would happen to the process if certain variables were changed.   Answer Question