Bending Spoons Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bending Spoons Interview Questions

Interviews at Bending Spoons

3.6

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bending Spoons in August 2018.

Interview

After applying, they contact you for a timed test to do at home. I wish the test wasn’t timed - doesn’t seem realistic to the actual work you’d be doing if you worked there. Wasn’t successful after the test

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bending Spoons (Milan (Italy)) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through the company website, attaching my resumé and cover letter. Then there was a first interview via Skype with one of the founders. Then a coding challenge which is quite demanding in terms of effort, where they test your ability to write good software and solve non-trivial problems. Then a problem solving phase, on their website, consisting of 8 quite tough problems, each of which took between 60 and 90 minutes to complete. And finally another technical interview with the founders.

Interview Questions

• What was my biggest failure, and what I learned from it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I *really* appreciated that they did never ask me about my current (at the time) compensation. They based their offer solely and completely on the information they gathered through the interviews with me. In fact, they made me an offer that was perfectly in line with what I believed I was worth (taking into account the cost of life in Milan/Italy, etc), and there was no need to negotiate anything. This is really rare in Italy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bending Spoons (Milan (Italy)).

Interview

First I took a coding challenge, a small but realistic piece of software with some complexity, but not to hard to create.
    After that I had one interview via Skype about general topics, but with no technical questions.
    They they submitted me a series of small problems to solve, half were small coding challenges, something like the ones you can find on hackerrank or similar, the other half were questions about app monetization and marketing.
    After that I've had another skype interview.
    Next there was another complex coding challenge, a more advanced version of the first.
    After this I had a 2 hour long interview in person at their office with questions about my goals and some questions about app monetization and data analysis.
    In the end they didn't make me any offer.

Interview Questions

• Strategies to increase the revenue of an app from 50$/day to 100$/day   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They wrote me on LinkedIn presenting their company in a really nice and informal way, which I liked. After that, I had a Skype call with one of the founder who explained me better what they do and what they are looking for.

Then, I started the selection process which consisted of two sets of four problems and two interviews with the founders. I really enjoyed the process, I found it fun and challenging. The only thing that I did not like was the last interview. They asked me behavioral questions by copying and pasting the questions in the Skype chat, together with a set of closed options that were really closed one to another... I mean, up to that the process was at the edge of innovation and everything was amazing and well organized, so why are you ending up asking me question in that way? I could not explain things, but I was just supposed to "choose one". I found it really old school and random. I did not like that, it made me feel really uncomfortable, which did not happen until that.

Another thing that I did not like was that at the end I did not receive an offer since "my interest were not aligned with the one of the company". I think that maybe it is true and it is a fair reason to not being chosen, but they could have get that at the beginning of the process, without taking me so far in the selection which took me a lots of time and energy.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the process and I had fun. I suggest you to take your time during the process and to not rush things. Moreover, do not assume that if you are invited to the last step, then you will mostly get the job which, I suppose, was my mistake.

Interview Questions

• Glassdoor is forcing me to fill this field, but I won't write the questions I received, since I think it is unfair for the company to let you know the questions in advance.   Answer Question

May 27, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there anonymous candidate,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We're really glad you enjoyed the process and had a positive experience, and will look into alternative ways to the Skype... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bending Spoons.

Interview

During the selection process I was asked to find solutions for two sets of four problems, a coding challenge, then I had a video interview and a final onsite interview. The problems consisted on coding problems, where you have to provide a pseudocode implementing the strategy to return the correct solution, and math/logical problems, where you had to show the reasoning that lead you to the solution. I would say that they were thought to test problem solving skills rather than specific tech knowledge, so I would suggest not to worry if you don't remember how to implement a fibonacci heap or similar. I found them quite challenging with respect to the ones of other interviews and I also had a lot of fun. The video and the onsite interviews were more behavioral than technical based. I was a bit nervous (specially during onsite) although the atmosphere were quite relaxed and friendly.
    I enjoyed the whole interview process and I appreciated that during the entire process no strict time deadline were imposed in any step, so one can try his best with no hurry.

Last but not least, I would suggest to practice on HackerRank if you are new to coding interview, just to gain some confidence on how to approach a coding problem.

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bending Spoons in February 2018.

Interview

Some points summarizing the review:

1- I didn't apply for the offer directly, they found me and reached me via Dribbble and asked me to apply.
    2- They asked me to do some UI designs for some apps that took me about 8 hours to complete.
    3- They rejected my application without giving me a reason about why/where I failed and requested me not to ask for feedback as they had nothing to tell me, they also sent me that last email from a 'no-reply' account.

What is my feeling about this company:

It seems they have a kind of a weird interview process, they ask too much and they give nothing in return. They must rethink about how they treat people that are spending 10 hours (including test questions) of their life in their process.

Long review:

I considered applying for the job offer UI designer as I was approached by one of the recruiters at Bending Spoons, I wasn’t in the search for a job but I thought it was a good company by looking at their website (very much focused on acquiring talent instead of customers) therefore, I saw it as an opportunity, so why not give it a chance.
    I went ahead and sent my CV, portfolio and cover letter as they requested in order to start a formal application, they got back to me very quickly and asked me to complete 3 tasks, the first one took 5 hours to complete 2 different sets of designs and 4 screens, the second took 3 hours for just one design and 2 screens, the third took 2 hours and it was a test. This means I spent 10 hours in total.
    One week after submitting the exercises they came back to me with a negative answer, I wasn’t successful, they said there was other applicants that performed better (fair enough). The really bad thing is that they asked me NOT to ask for personal feedback plus they sent that email from a “no-reply” email account, which I find very unpolite as I did spent many hours doing the exercises for a job offer that I was asked to apply, so I assumed they did their background check and actually liked my work.
    After my experience I believe that this company do a massive talent search with a nearly automated system and ask people to complete the exercises prior to do a personal interview. So my recommendation is if you are in a similar situation and want to apply for the job, ask them first what they like about your work or even better why they think you are a potential candidate.

Interview Questions

• Asked to complete a 5 hour design task for 2 different APPS and 2 screens for each   Answer Question

Mar 11, 2018 – People Operations

Hi there! This is Bending Spoons, and we are sorry you felt this way about our recruiting process. We really try hard to build a process that is engaging to our candidates, and we are mortified you... More

UI Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bending Spoons in December 2018.

Interview

They contacted me through dribbble and basically sent to me 2 problems to solve (you will need 5h or more time to finish them).

I didn't do the test because it feels that they just want some free ideas to improve the paywall flows of their apps. I do agree with some kind of tests to prove our abilities as designers but not without a previous talk about the company or myself to understand if the both parts are on the same page.

They basically send the same email to a lot of different designers and get free consulting from them. Well done guys :)

Interview Questions

Bending Spoons Response

Dec 27, 2018

Hi there! Thank you so much for your feedback, we always care for our candidates' opinion and thank you for the time you invested in writing to us.

We created our problems to give our candidates... More

Backend Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bending Spoons in April 2019.

Interview

Applied online on their website, I got a response after 8 days from their recruiter and from a "no-reply" email address telling me I passed the first CV screening, I was given links to two tests:

- One IQ standard test which I don't know why people still believe and use.
      - Technical test containing 4-5 coding problems requiring ~6hrs knowing that I have a full time job.

There were 4 red flags:
    1- I was sent online tests without even speaking to a single human.
    2- Outdated IQ test that has nothing to do with my skillset or the job.
    3- Requiring me to put 6hrs of my time and unpaid work just to have the privilege of interviewing, that shows their disrespect to the candidate's time.
    4- I contacted them to ask few questions about the tests but they ignored me, they only responded when I politely refused to spend 6hrs.

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bending Spoons (Milan (Italy)).

Interview

I had the opportunity to take part in the first two stages of BS's hiring process.
    They took place through a private link where you were able to access a set of problems. The effort in terms of time is quite high: the first set of problems was composed of 4 problems to be resolved in an overall time of 8 hours; the second set (3 problems) in 5 hours and 30 minutes.
    Despite the final outcome (I didn't pass the second stage), it's been very interesting and challenging to take part in such different hiring process.

Moreover, the recruiter which I talked with has been supportive and helpful. I really appreciated this approach and I'm quite sure that this is only an example of the working environment of BS in its whole.

Interview Questions

• I will not post here the problems since it would be unfair towards BS.

Anyway they tested not only my legal skills, but also and especially how I face problems in areas different from legal ones: they want to evaluate your lateral thinking and your ability to analyze and solve problems you are unfamiliar with.   Answer Question

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Bending Spoons (Milan (Italy)) in May 2019.

Interview

Basically you send your Resume along with a cover letter (step#1).
    If you pass step#1 of selection process, you will face step #2: you will have 8 hours (!) to submit 4 tests which are definitely tailored both to the job position you applied for and to your academic/professional background (assuming that you are applying for a position that fits your skills and expertise).

I was not able to go further.
    Eventually you won't be "left out to dry": you will get a kind feedback from the company's HR.

Interview Questions

• I'm not allowed to report the exact questions I was asked, but, honestly, it's been one of the most interesting selection process I had the possibility to participate to. Anything but trivial, standard, sloppy. I really appreciated the attention to details and the competence: the documentation provided during the tests was remarkably as close as possible to the reality.
      It all made me hope they would open a new position in the future just for me to apply again (and hopefully make it to the end).   Answer Question