Benefits Data Trust Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Benefits Data Trust

Director of Policy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the organization and invited to interview. This began with an exploratory phone interview with HR followed by a 60 minute in person interview and a brief listening session with a call center representative. I had to travel from several hours away for the interview, but the organization's policy is not to reimburse for these costs. It was my decision to continue with the interview anyway, but this was disappointing, given the organization recruited me to interview. The interview itself felt odd; there were reporting relationships between the individuals in the interview that seemed to make them wary of saying too much in front of one another. They did not seem excited about the interview or to have reviewed my resume much in advance; their questions were more technical in nature rather than about getting to know me. Despite the interview taking place near the lunch hour, they did not offer to take me to lunch or at least invite me to join any of the staff for lunch (not an expectation by any means, but it would have been a thoughtful courtesy for a candidate who had traveled several hours for the interview that they had recruited the candidate to participate in). Also, only one of the individuals acknowledged my thank you email following the interview.

Interview Questions

Benefits Data Trust Response

Dec 28, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for submitting interview feedback. We are always looking to improve our candidate experience. We understand that candidates may travel from a variety of distances, however as a non-profit ... More

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The interview went very well, though I had applied for the job over a month before being invited for an interview. There was only one interview, and I was offered the position at the end of it. It felt more like a conversation than an interview, and a BOS was a part of the interview, so I was able to learn more about the position. After the conversation, I sat with a BOS and listened in on a call, which was pretty great. I got to see a little bit of what they do before accepting the job. The culture at BDT is amazing. Everyone seems valued, they play a game every Friday morning before calls begin, and there's room for advancement within the organization.

Interview Questions

• What would you say is one of your strengths? Can you give an example of this coming up in a previous job?   Answer Question
    • What is some constructive feedback a supervisor has given you in the past?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't much of a negotiation. All BOS start with the same salary and hours, and there is a chance of getting a small raise after 90 days, which is when benefits kick in. The raise is really to offset money being deducted from your pay to cover the insurance. I wish I had asked about salaried positions at BDT -- BOS are hourly.

Communications Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust.

Interview

Let me begin by saying this is a great organization which helps so many people. I was emailed to come in for an interview. I thought everything went well and was told I'd hear back either way during the next week. Several months later, and I have never received any response. Sent one or two emails to inquire after giving it some time and still received no response. Would appreciate to at least get a form email as a bcc or something.

Interview Questions

Benefits Data Trust Response

Apr 28, 2016 – Hiring Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback in regards to our interview process. As an organization, we take feedback seriously and we always want to follow up with our candidates to give them timely updates on the ... More

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied in October of 2015 and didn't hear back from them until December. They were very kind on the phone and brought me in for a group interview. I'm not sure if I remember them saying that it was a group interview, but it was. The interview went very well and I started a week later. Everyone I interacted with during the hiring process assisted in smoothing over the rough edges of a newly expanding nonprofit.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

You'd be sitting with the HR manager and one other employee from any department in a casual setting. Then they would take you into the call center and listen in on a call to see how entry level employees work. Then you come back to the HR office and wrap up. There is a background check and drug screen involved. They send you to a third party at an offsite location for a urine test, which doesn't take long.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any volunteer/social service experience? Describe it.   Answer Question

Benefits Outreach Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust.

Interview

The interview process was very pleasant. I met with the hiring manager and one of the team leaders. We discuss normal interview questions. I felt very comfortable and at times the interview drifted off to personal conversations. Which was cool and different. I sat with one of the BOS and listened to a call. The person I was sitting with was on the call for over 30 minutes. I didnt get a chance to inquire about the role.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in your first thirty days here?   1 Answer

I declined the position because I was offered another position in a field I went to school for.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

The entire interview process was very smooth. From the phone interview to the follow up group interview BDT does a great job of keeping you feel comfortable and allows you to take an honest look at what the company does and what their culture stands for.

I initially found the posting through LinkedIn and then applied through their website. I got a quick response from their hiring manager, who proceeded to schedule a phone interview. The interview was kept very conversational which was refreshing. It was more about getting to know you as the whole person as opposed to just what is on your resume.

We followed up a phone interview with a group interview between myself, the hiring manager and a team leader. They introduced themselves and a little background on the company. The kept the in person interview conversational as well, going over my professional background and schooling.

To close it out, they allowed me to sit in with a BOS while they assist clients, which was very helpful because you were able to get a first hand experience about what the company had to offer to its employees.

Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Phila, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied through idealist.org and heard back with an interview offer within a week. I interviewed with two managers, and the whole process felt very relaxed. It was more like a long conversation about how my skill set would be beneficial to the position, and less like an interrogation with standard, boring interview questions. We talked a lot about my previous work experience and how the work I had previously done could transfer over to the work done at BDT. There weren't any questions where I felt like I had to give BS answers that I knew they wanted to hear. We even joked around and laughed a lot. Very smooth and comfortable.

Then I got a chance to "shadow" a current employee to decide if the job was something I could see myself doing 40 hours a week. I got to ask him questions about what it's really like to work there, without feeling like he was going to report back to the managers.

Then we wrapped things up back in the interview room and chit chatted a bit. The hiring manager said he would have an answer by a certain day the next week, and he called me on that day with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. It was more like a fluid conversation about my past work experiences. The questions were not standard interview style questions, but rather questions asking me to elaborate on specific things related to my skills used in previous jobs. Questions were asked based on what was on my resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

I saw the position advertised on idealist.org and within 2 days I heard back from the hiring manager. The hiring manager set up a time with me for a phone interview but then had to cancel the day of but gave enough notice and quickly rescheduled for another time. The phone interview which is more like a phone chat is basically to see why you are interested in working at Benefits Data Trust and most likely in my opinion to see if you can communicate over the phone with ease and with a friendly personality which is essential for the job. We arranged a time for a face to face interview. I arrived at their office and was greeted kindly by everyone. There were 2 interviewers, both the hiring manager and a supervisor. The hiring manager conducted the first half of the interview asking basic questions and really trying to get to know me and what I wanted to contribute to BDT. In the middle of the interview. I got a chance to go into the call center and listen to a few conversations. I think this really helped me towards my final decision of accepting the job interview because I really had no idea what to expect for a call center position. Also it gave me a chance to really see the environment of those who have the same position I was applying for which was pretty relaxed yet productive. The second half was conducted by the supervisor to confirm I was bilingual. At the end of the interview there was plenty of time for my questions and which they took the time to answer. The hiring manager let me know specifically when he would get back to me, which he did with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Overall there were no difficult questions. This interview is about bringing your personalty and goals to the table while sharing about your work history.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Benefits Data Trust (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

I had a phone interview that gave me a sense that I wanted to work with BDT in which I feel the most important thing I did was express my interest in growing professionally in a non-profit environment. Had an in person interview with two individuals who answered my technical questions very well. They also volunteered very actuate information about the positive work environment at BDT and some of the negative sides of a call center, which I appreciated as I had no previous call center experience. I also had the opportunity to sit in on a call and talk with a current BOS who was very nice. Show your engagement and excitement throughout the process as they are looking for passionate and skilled individuals.

Interview Questions

• They didn't ask very many technical questions about my ability to work in a call center and seemed more interested in how BDT fit into my career plans. They also seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my the lessons I had learned during my year of service with AmeriCops.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate other than to make sure I could have sometime off that I had planned before getting the job offer. They were very accepting of that request.