Birst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.9

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Higher management phone interview - Technical
    Teammate Interview - Technical interview with coding.
    Code Challenge - 2 hr 30 minute strictly timed.
    Onsite interview - code test

From the interview process and the feedback it appears the management is highly unprofessional and is not familiar with HR 101. Based on my few hours of interaction with the management it appears they do not treat or value their employees or they consider all of the developers are on H1B.

They do not trust what you produce even though the code tests are open book and on your own computer. They never heard of Code reuse. They think even if you use a framework, it is plagiarism :) Are they running a university?

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quick and straight forward. The initial phone screen was technical which was followed by a coding challenge. I was then invited for an onsite. At each step the manager was very quick and efficient in giving feedback. I had applied for this role by looking at an online posting and then contacting the manager.

Interview Questions

• Wouldn't like to disclose the exact questions, but they tested my Front end skills.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pacifica, CA

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward & quick... Until the very end. I was turned down because of my skill set, but the company led me on in thinking that I was still in the running and I had to push the recruiter to push on the hiring manager to make a decision before I got my answer. NOT COOL!!! :(

Lucky for me, I kept looking...

Interview Questions

• Straight forward Java programming problem. Know your Collections and sorting.   Answer Question

Principal Business Intelligence Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Contacted by head of recruiting and was followed by a 45 mins technical phone interview. The interview asked mainly SQL, ETL and data warehousing questions. Pretty standard questions; I thought I did quite good but was not selected.

Director of Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Very miserable interview process, bereft of discipline and respect for the candidates.

It started with a phone call with one of the co-founders, the first attempt was cancelled, the second started 10 minutes late. Following that was a visit to their office for face to face meetings. Attendee list had two VPs, two support team members and the same co-founder. The first VP could not make it. He sent a manager from his organization who was visibly bored and could not care less about this role and the person who filled it, except making sure customers do not interrupt them at their work. The second VP showed up 15 minutes late to say he had something urgent and disappeared, leaving me doing nothing for 30 minutes. The support team members had no clue what they were looking for, except that whoever fills the role does not disrupt their life. The co-founder and I had a decent conversation, following which he promised to get back to me in two days, which he did, only to say he needed two additional days. Two weeks later he is not responding to emails and no feedback has been received.

Given the way these guys operate, I am sure I could have helped them greatly, bringing discipline and focus on execution.

Regional Sales Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Birst in February 2015.

Interview

I had a really positive interview experience. The recruiter who I worked with was Chris Clay and he was engaged throughout the entire process, would call me almost every day, made sure things were moving correctly, was respectful and got people involved as necessary. The people I interviewed with at Birst knew exactly what they wanted from the candidate (me) and when they were satisfied with application, they made an offer promptly. The whole process took 2 weeks from start to finish.

The offer that they put together was extremely competitive and they met whatever I countered with.

Things in the end fell through because of a clause in my previous employers agreement; however, I would love to go back and work at Birst. Great leadership team, solid product and a company ready to birst.

Interview Questions

• What's your selling style? Are you familiar with Challenger sales?   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was referred in to BIrst by a recruiter and had a detailed phone interview on a Wed. By the following Tuesday they had me in for an on-site meeting where I met with 3 folks from the hiring team. Everyone came across as easygoing, while the questions were quite detailed. They let me know immediately that things were going well, and told me they'd like me to meet with one of the founders; this happened Friday of the same week. Again, the mood was pleasant and the questions were very targeted. It came across as a combined skillset and cultural fit exam. I got quick feedback that they'd like me to give a presentation to the team, which happened the following Tuesday. They turned around an offer the following day.

Interviewing at Birst was very positive, and a sharp contrast to the way may many firms approach the process these days. While Birst is a pre-IPO startup, they acted with great maturity and professionalism throughout. I've listed the dates above to demonstrate how quickly they move and make decisions. Read other interview reviews for companies that are not able to execute this way - many weeks and months are not uncommon turnaround times.

Interview Questions

• Describe a star schema (note: this was not a technical role)   Answer Question

CSM Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Qiick round of questions. Very straight forward. Typical questions about yourself. Nothing hard. Loved the recruiter Chris. He was responsive and down to earth.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience?   1 Answer

Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Birst (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process was simple with recruiter contacting me and then setting up phone followed by onsite. The phone went fine and then i went for onsite. It did not seems like really understand the requirement of the job that well and asked me questions which has no relevance to the job profile. Anyways i answered most of them. Then i was asked to wait for the last interviewer ( how rude !!!) as he did not show up or was late to office even at 12.00 p.m . The interviewers shows up and tell me that he is happy to meet me but will not have time to talk to me. Which company would not have time to talk to people whom they intend to hire or interview ? I was totally put off and decided not to waste any more of my time.

Interview Questions

• None. They pretty much knew very little of the job profile so kept asking all random stuff.   Answer Question

Java Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Birst.

Interview

Got a call from HR. It was basic round of Intro and he sent a quiz link.for online coding test in java.
    There were 3 questions which were kind of difficult.

Still waiting for further rounds.

Interview Questions

• Find the count of trees in magicForest? Magic forest consist of trees provided there is no edge from one tree to another and one more condition(dont remember).   1 Answer