Brown University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Brown University Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2017

2.6

Student Worker Interview

Interview

After reviewing the resume I submitted, I had an informal interview that was used to give me basic information and get my availability. At the end of the interview, I was given a tour of the building and was introduced to everyone that I would be working with in the future.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I interviewed at Brown University in September 2016.

Interview

Very comfortable even though the questions were "out of the box" and unlike other interviews I have been on. The questions for the in-person interview were not necessarily about my experience, but you needed experience to answer the questions... so it was interesting. One thing that many other reviews prepared me for was to come with questions for the hiring manager. This hiring manager started the interview with "Do you have any questions for me?" Even though I was surprised at the change in format from a standard interview process, I was able to respond with well thought out questions that I prepared ahead of time!

Interview Questions

• What do you see yourself doing for the rest of your career?   Answer Question

Summer Resident Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI).

Interview

Simple application that seemed like more qualifications were required than what I later discovered. Interview process was friendly and simple. I didn't receive any trick questions and it felt like my interviewer was doing her best to help me do well. It was a position that was mostly about sociability and responsibility, so there was no need to give an IQ test, and I appreciated that there was very little pressure.

Interview Questions

• What was a major professional/academic struggle you faced and how did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Interview

Easy, consisted of a five person panel, one day interview, interview took about 1 hour approx., easy directions and location, major negative: took about 1 month to fully be hired.

Office Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in February 2016.

Interview

Set up a couple of dates and times for the phone interview. Three people were on the call besides myself. After the introductions they said while they believed I was qualified for the position they wanted to make sure I knew what the maximum salary available for their position was. After I was informed of that, and was told that it was a non-negotiable number, I thanked them for their interest and time and the interview was over.

Being A TA Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Brown University.

Interview

Emailed the professor/ head of peer help in the department and explained my interest. Initially all contact was during the prior semester over email. We later met in person and she coordinated the details with the professor of the course. I was then offered the job.

Teaching Assistant for Machine Learning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2015.

Interview

Took course and interacted with instructor, did very well in this course. Checked with instructor after this course and he agreed to give the TA position. I signed up for the TA and go to the TA hour and grade the homework.

Interview Questions

• What grade did you get for machine learning   1 Answer

Artemis Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Brown University (Providence, RI) in January 2015.

Interview

I had to teach a mock class for my interview. I ended up teaching a short class on how to implement binary search trees. Afterwards we talked about different situations that may occur during the camp and how I would handle them.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a student wanted to go home from a location that was not what you listed on the field trip form   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Brown University.

Interview

The process included two talks, one for teaching and one for research. By far the most difficult part of the process was an all department panel session (which was not very friendly). I got the sense that some interdepartmental tensions were taken out on job candidates, which is not cool.

Interview Questions

• 5-10 yr research plan. I think its a bit much to ask, since such pathways are necessarily curving.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Through GRE scores, Toefl for non-US citizens, Under grad and Masters grades and letters of recommendation. There was no interview for me (in Physics). I would say having a publication in your undergrad or master will help.