Build.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 19, 2017

3.2

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA).

Interview

Started off with a very easy phone interview followed by an in person interview at Build.com in Chico about 3 weeks later. Pretty straight forward conversation-like interview. Recruiter said she'd get back to us by the end of the week but never followed up.

Product Data Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Although I did not get really far into the interview process, I felt like they expect a certain answer for each of their questions. I was referred by a few friends that work for Build.com and said that their interview process was rather easy. Which it was. There was not much to do except for completing their assessment.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what website is consider to be weak in advertisement?   1 Answer

Freight Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chico, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA).

Interview

The HR phone interview went great. That was the first interview. The second interview was with the same Hr rep, the manager of the freight dept, and the CFO. Upon arriving for interview #2, the HR rep gave me a tour of the company before the main interview. Then we walked into a small conference room with the other managers and before I even sat down the CFO was already complaining that we were late. The hr rep told him she gave me the standard tour, and he still grumpily complained. For the rest of the interview, the CFO dominated the questions and conversation, acting cold and intimidating and unfriendly. This position did not report to the CFO, but to the freight manager, and the freight manager reported to the CFO. It would've been nice to save the rude CFO man for the third interview, instead of the main second one. I don't even think I heard the freight manager talk either, not smile. The whole interview was really weird and awkward. I wasn't prepared for such an intense interview and I don't do well with intimidating and rude people. I'm glad I didn't get the job offer. I would not want to be around the CFO on a regular basis.

Software Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewing with build.com was very interesting and productive overall, but a tad bit stretched out! First they had me fork their test repo on github and write a complete solution to the given problem. That was followed by a 40 minutes phone interview, which was very informal and gave me the first indication of the friendliness and openness of the people working at build.com

Next, I had my first on site informal interview wherein I met 3 employees there. I suppose they wanted to identify me as a cultural fit to their company. I was asked some generic interview questions as well as some unusual questions to test my spot critical reasoning.

This was followed by an hour long on site technical interview, which was a discussion between about 6 of their employees and I. We discussed the solution I submitted from the first test as well as some extensive talk about my prior experiences and my manner of handling obstacles and the like.

Finally, after the final interview with two VPs (which was yet another informal conversation), I was offered the job by email! All in all, it was a very positive experience.. good feels overall!

Interview Questions

• If I were a street sign, which street sign would I be?   1 Answer

Mobile Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Informal discussions with team leads and peers. A single day hanging out with folks to see how they worked. This process let me see who they were and how they worked, but they also got a chance to see how I thought about things. Leadership lunch panel was more informational for me and gave me a chance to bring my vision into focus for them.

Interview Questions

• General focused questions around the industry and how I could impact company in the new role.   Answer Question

Product Data Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Shortly after applying I received an email with an Excel test. After the test I underwent a 1-on-1 phone interview with a recruiter. It was incredibly informal.
    I was given a face-to-face interview with the same recruiter and two managers from the department where once again it was pretty informal. Some questions about my experience and how I would handle some situations. Some questions about video games I like and my preference on using a keyboard or mouse.
    Finally my third and final interview was with the recruiter, one of the managers, and every head of the departments at build. This interview was a much more formal and again was asked about my experiences and how I would handle issues.

After that final interview I was given an offer for the job.

Product Data Specialist Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Build.com.

Interview

The process was pretty straightforward. I sent in my application and received a spreadsheet test 2 days later. It was a good test and I didnt have any issues with it, sent it back, and had a phone interview about a week later. The rep that I talked to was very happy and It was a great on phone interview that lasted about an hour but started with the discussion of soups and the weather in Chico. A week after that I received a invitation to the build.com site for an in person interview. It started with a small tour of the facility from the same rep that i had the phone interview with, and she told me a interesting story about an applicant that said one of her hobbies was belly dancing. The interview was with 4 people, the rep , data manager, vp of operations, and one more guy who's title I don't remember. They asked alot about my work history and experience, where I learned to work with spreadsheets etc. The interview ended with worm dancing lessons from the rep, and it lasted about 40 minutes. Sadly I did not receive the final interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Build.com.

Interview

Within a couple of hours of submitting my application online, I received an aptitude test based on working with an Excel workbook. It was an impressive test; probably the most in-depth one I've ever seen on Excel. The job requires a 40 wpm typing speed so I had to get a typing certificate at the local One Stop Job Center. About a week after applying there was a phone interview with a member of the recruiting team. Basic questions about experience and background were asked but I think it also had a lot to do with seeing if I have the personality to match the build.com environment. A few days later, I had my first, face-to-face interview with management from the Data Department. I was given an opportunity to present my experience and there were some basic questions about my technical aptitude. The hiring process then requires that at least 4 Director, or above, leaders approve of an applicant getting a job offer. There were 7 or 8 people in my final interview but it seemed like 20. I was simply asked why they should hire me & I presented why I am awesome. There were some questions regarding the work experiences I mentioned. During both face-to-face interviews, all interviewers were on their laptops typing away. Slightly distracting but I would have been more nervous if they were not typing away. They made the decision to offer me a job in that interview. I filled out on-boarding paperwork & I was given a book to read before training. Drug screening was the next day but I could have taken a couple of extra days if I needed to do so. There was a references & background check. Once that was completed an email confirming my start date was received.

Interview Questions

• How have you made a change for the better on a previous job?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Their hiring process is very thorough. With multiple interviews, Build wants the best candidates for the role. It was comforting knowing the process was intense and that I would be working with other great candidates!

Interview Questions

• The interview was like a fun conversation. They did ask some good questions around my sales experience. How many clients did you work with and how did you get those clients to keep coming back to you? And at the end of the interview always ask for the job! I learned that the hard way.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Build.com (Chico, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial Phone interview, followed by panel interview with sales directors, and a Human Resources representative. Both interviews were quick and to the point. They asked me what name I might choose to be called, since each rep is known by a distinct, one of a kind name.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you value most in yourself? What kind of sales experience do you have?   Answer Question