Build.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Russ Wheeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility and a real "work hard/play hard" attitude (in 11 reviews)

• A lot of vendor events with free food and swag, plenty of opportunity for growth, great coworkers (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • How many employees in the call center have over 5 years with the company (in 7 reviews)

• And with minimum training on how to use those systems since your job could be completely unrelated to customer service or sales (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Greatest place in the world to work"

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Build isn't a good fit for everyone, but if you love the fun (at times irreverent) culture, are willing to work hard/be nice to people, and have the skills for what you were hired to do, it is the greatest place in the world. There's a deep camaraderie and a general vibe that we are all working towards something together. It's definitely not a 9-5 job where you come in, do a thing, and leave. Build invests deeply in our employees and cares a great deal about workplace satisfaction. The thing I have come to appreciate the most is that every person has an opportunity to make a difference to the bottom line and ideas are appreciated for how good they are, no matter where they came from. Everyone from an entry level intern to an exec has a voice. The open door policy also helps to keep transparency alive.

Cons

If you hate the culture and don't like the values on the wall, it probably isn't a good fit.

Oct 25, 2017 – President

Thanks for the great review! Appreciate all you do!

2. "Great Opportunity"

I have been working at Build.com full-time

Pros

If you get a position here, it is truly what you make it. You have the ability to share your ideas with Sr. management and get input on those ideas beyond your current role. With that, don't lose sight of your current position. I have seen where peers think they can ditch the job they were hired for, and really what the business needs them to accomplish, to pursue only what they want without communicating appropriately. The support is there but you have to communicate.

Cons

Communication is hard in a growing company, really in any company. They have tried different ways to communicate all of the things, and continue to get better in this area, but there is still room to improve.

The 'new' insurance sucks and needs to change. Whenever it's brought up it feels like it's brushed off. People are choosing not to seek medical help because it's so bad.

Please start listening to your employees about how terrible the new coverage really is.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

Thank you for your feedback. I agree, communication has been a difficult growing pain, and something we continue to improve on.

We have listened and heard the complaints about our insurance... More

"Great if you plan to get out quick"

I worked at Build.com full-time

Pros

This company is the perfect place to work if you're a new college grad. It gives you the opportunity to test out a lot of different roles if you're not quite sure what you want to do for your career yet. If you're looking for a short term and more social work experience then this is perfect for you. The employees that work here are so passionate, which makes it an exciting place to work at first.

Friedland being gone is the best decision this company has made in years, so there could be a lot of good things coming for Build.com once they can get their management team figured out.

Cons

Short term is all that you can expect from Build.com. Expecting to build your career here and actually advance through the company is pointless. They only give the high up positions to external hires, but then don't train them, then end up firing them about 6-12 months later. They don't pay their employees fairly, HR's main focus is party planning, and the disorganization and lack of structure causes a ton of unnecessary, wasted time and stress. People get away with a lot more than they should and one of the main lessons i learned here was to "cover my a**" if I wanted to keep my job. It is not abnormal to be bullied or put down here... and even when the issue is taken to HR - nothing is done about it.

Advice to Management

It's sad to see a company with so much potential take such a bad turn. My employment experience there was valuable, but overall way more stressful than it should've been. Management provides no value and hasn't made a meaningful decision in years (probably since they sold the company). I've never seen them actually make a beneficial decision that was in the employees' best interests. It's all about their paychecks and making sure they hit goals so they can keep their jobs.

The culture now is completely different than a few years ago. Everything at this place changes regularly, so the processes in place now will be completely different in a few months. It was going down hill when I was there. Theres only so much people can take after all the failed exec positions and stupid decisions Friedland has made.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

I'm sorry your experience at Build was poor in the end.

We are a company of constantly trying new things and sometimes that change can be very difficult and not well received by all. Chris led... More

4. "Excellent and exciting company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loks of employee perks, relaxed atmosphere, great holiday parties, good people.

Cons

Sometimes a little hectic, sometimes its hard to convince people they are being rediculous.

Advice to Management

Lot more transparency, lot more communication, a lot more asking why and how, don't just do things to do them be sure everyone involved knows why and why its awesome.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

Thank you for the feedback.

Communication is something we're all very focused on from the top down. We recognize the need to improve and are open to ideas and feedback.

"It's All About The People"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a great team you will have a great work experience
    Lots of job/promotion opportunities
    Great perks (free cereal/milk, fresh fruit, snacks, tea, coffee)
    Comfortable work space (no bright lights, good desk space)

Cons

Knee jerk reactions (taking away of privileges when unrealistic revenue goals aren't met)
    Parking
    Theft of company property (game systems in the breakroom), food brought in by other employees stolen from fridge, stolen packages

Advice to Management

Team Managers- Please don't play favorites
    Executives- Please continue to be open and honest with us. It really does go a long way to make me feel like a person and not just a number.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

Thank you for the feedback. All valid points, and we will continue to work towards addressing your concerns.

"This place is falling apart"

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of this company are rapidly disappearing.

Cons

This place is floundering with no direction whatsoever. Every year the pay, commission and comp plans get worse. Build used to be a company where you could make great money but they are closing the gap between a liveable wage and destitute. Middle management is a complete joke at this company. Luckily they hire, demote and fire employees at this level constantly. If your boss sucks wait a quarter and they will be gone. I have been in the room when executive level employees have told their subordinates if they “had an issue with the company they could leave, good luck finding a job in Chico that paid the same”. Super awesome attitude. Build’s reputation in the community is also terrible. I have been asked on multiple occasions “what is wrong with that place?” Apparently the rate at which they let go of employees has been noticed. There are some great people in HR, however I have found that their ability to keep issues confidential is non existent. I would be very curious to know what the company’s retention rate is. How many employees in the call center have over 5 years with the company? What is the success rate for new employees? How do you sleep at night? All fair questions.

Advice to Management

Build used to invest a lot more into their employees. Make an effort to retain good people. More training across all departments.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

I'm sorry you feel this way, and that this was your experience.

We strive to always rethink things and find a better way. Sometimes that change can be difficult, especially if it doesn't work out... More

"Incompetent for a Large Company"

Former Employee - Pawn in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Pawn in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a Panera not too far from HQ.

Cons

Lies, lies, lies, and total disregard to an excellent producer. Don't make to much, they will surely neuter you and eventually replace you with another fresh faced college kid on the cheap.

Advice to Management

Just be better humans

8. "Great place to work if you have the right manager"

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of vendor events with free food and swag, plenty of opportunity for growth, great coworkers.

Cons

It's easy for bad managers and workers to slip through the cracks and "float", which seriously downgrades morale.

Advice to Management

Hold more people in the company accountable for their ill actions.

Jan 12, 2018 – VP of HR

I love the title of this review - so true, anywhere you work. Thank you for your fair and honest feedback.

"Beer Pong and push up contests"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, Good entry level jobs

Cons

Not a great place to work if your over 30. Company doesn't respect those with previous experience.

Advice to Management

Don't let Management date their employees

Nov 7, 2017 – President

I'm sorry you were frustrated with your experience here. Advice for you for the future would be if you aren't enjoying the company culture and environment, its often better to move on sooner than... More

"Solid Software Development Department"

Current Employee - Software in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Software in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented group of software development peers.
    Using latest languages and technology stacks.
    Moderately good employee benefits for a company this size.
    Salary is on-par or exceeds other companies in the area. Extremely fair overall.
    Opportunities to work from home.
    Lots of free food due to constant events going on.
    Code is constantly evolving and there are no shortages on projects that need to be done. Work load is fairly consistent.

Cons

Due to company growth - there are a number of growing pains being seen/felt in the company at the present time. Bathroom issues, space issues, parking issues, etc...
    Number of holidays given to employees is pretty bad (only 4). You do get extra floating holidays after you've been here a year though.
    I personally don't like the open seating plan they have going on here. Really hard for someone working in software development to concentrate. It is often very loud and headphones don't help much.
    All departments are lumped into the same company plan . There are many departments here, from hourly sales jobs to salaried professional positions. Irregardless of your department - everyone is lumped into the same benefits package. It would be nice if those were more broken out and tailored to the type of work people perform.
    There are often too many distractions and people being sucked into those distractions when they should be working instead.

Advice to Management

The SoDev department feels a bit chaotic - especially in the project/product management areas. Lots of people have ideas but there is a lot of distrust that their ideas will never be heard (which is often the case). If you ask 3 different people how a new idea can be surfaced to the right people for consideration - you'll get 3 different answers, and usually none of them work as advertised. Something should really be done to fix this.

Oct 25, 2017 – President

Great list of pro's and noteworthy cons. I personally work in an office because I distract others as well. Open layout was a grand experiment that worked out well for some, not so much for others. I... More