Build.com Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Build.com Founder Christian Friedland
Christian Friedland

Pros
  • Flexibility and a real "work hard/play hard" attitude (in 10 reviews)

• Free Food, Fun Culture, Growing Company (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Company changing from a service-oriented call center to churn-and-burn sales (in 6 reviews)

• what sort of customer service should have that as their motto (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place I've EVER worked, hands down!"

Current Employee - Marketplaces
    Current Employee - Marketplaces

Pros

Where do I start? Constant growth, lively yet professional atmosphere, supportive of employees in all aspects, offers compensation that blows any other local company out of the water. Excellent training programs and employee discounts on not only companies own product offering but many other local services from mechanics, to real estate, gyms, eateries etc..Build cares about its people. FREE apples, oranges, bananas, oatmeal, cereal (and milk!), fresh local roasted coffee, espresso drinks in break rooms. Foosball and video games in break area, awesome covered outdoor patio for lounging or working on laptop, full kitchen where you can cook meals makes you feel at home. Activities where you can win trips, products or even cash! Build offers endless opportunity for advancement and works with me to help meet my goals. I've developed lifelong friendships and a professional network where we share passions not only for the company's best interests but for developing one another as well. Although large, it's a family here and you will find that if you stay honest, focused, flexible, goal oriented, inquisitive, and innovative your career path here can be tremendous. Don't be discouraged if you lack a degree or tons of training. If you actively display heart, focus and drive day in and day out.. incredible things can happen.

Cons

There is nothing I can say has been a con for me about Build that is specific to being a challenge here and only here. Typical of ANY work environment there are many personalities to deal with and departments. Great thing is Management and HR are super supportive in the rare events anything should require escalation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work guys! I know clear communication can be a challenge in any large company but I've seen some great steps taken in the past year by everyone to bridge any gaps that have been expressed. Awesome!

Jul 2, 2016 – President

Thank you for the great review! We're always working on improving communication.

"I loved working at Build. Everyone was really awesome to work work and the job was fun."

Former Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Product Data Specialist in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people, good pay, good benefits, the job in data was fun, I gained a lot of work experience

Cons

Seems the company is losing its small town company vibe and turning corporate

May 18, 2017 – President

Thanks for the feedback! Its difficult as you get larger and larger to keep that feeling, but first step is awareness. Thanks for the comment and we'll keep that in mind as we continue to succeed! ... More

"Try your best not to join this company."

Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - UI/User Experience Designer in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make friends and bully others.

Cons

This company is itself an example of showiness. Employees work less and show more.

Advice to Management

Breach in management should be fixed.

May 18, 2017 – President

I'm really sorry that you had such a poor experience leaving Build.com. Since you were here for more than 3 years, I hope it wasn't this horrible the whole time. It sounds like you really must have ... More

"Drink the Kool Aid"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Pre-Sales in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, Benefits, and Incentive programs

Cons

"Cliquey" You have to really play along to get along. If you do not get into the "spirit" of the company no matter how hard you work or how good your numbers are, you will not advance.

Advice to Management

pay attention to all of your employees, not just the ones that kiss your butt.

May 18, 2017 – President

Thanks for the candid feedback. Good numbers and performance should be the primary reason for advancement at Build.com, period. However, I've seen some people get looked over not because of cliques ... More

5. "Work Hard Play Hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, lots of fun work activities. Plenty of opportunities to move up or change jobs within the company

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and can be very short sighted.

Feb 20, 2017

I've been hearing a theme about people being frustrated about the rigors we expect out of people. I'm sorry if you felt like expectations were too high. Please feel free to email me directly and I'd ... More

6. "Fun company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work and can make good money for the area. Benefits are excellent and the company does a lot for you.

Cons

Hard to move up and hard to get out of sales when you get burnt out. Pay needs to be better.

Advice to Management

With the high frequency of changes, you need to tell employees about said changes rather than waiting for employees to run into those changes 2-4 weeks later.

Feb 6, 2017

Thanks for the kind review! Yes, communication is a perpetual problem in a large organization. We have launched our wiki, we sent out frequent emails about goings on, but we still struggle at times ... More

7. "Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I worked at Build.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*very flexible on hours
    *Pay is good compared to most the crap in chico.
    *Actually closed on most Holiday's for the most part/
    * Co - Works are good.

Cons

*changed pay structure to many times in one year.
    *Highly metric centric - Your job and your numbers are based on someone else's ability to reconcile an order.
    * 3 strike rule

Advice to Management

Management should re evaluate the 3 strike rule for sales, while it seems fair it really isn't as its not based on a x month to x month, so if you are on the last strike they should take a look at your worth to the company vs hiring someone new. Lot of good people got nailed when that happened.

Nov 7, 2016

Thank you for the candid feedback and appreciate the time you spent here. We're constantly tuning the sales commission program and will take your advice into consideration.

"Great place for experience but not for a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place if you are just starting out in the job market, you can quickly learn skills and gain experience to get you a better job somewhere else.

Cons

Management is mediocre at best, there are some great managers but few leaders. Most Executives only are in the position because they have been with the company since it started and would probably not get hired as an executive at another company. Given the opportunity they will screw you on pay, that is just a fact. Get in and get your experience and move one, Build is just a stepping stone.

Oct 17, 2016

I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. I've interviewed lots of people from other organizations with extensive experience, who have jumped around from company to company, and I can tell you that ... More

"DO NOT WORK IN SALES HERE"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chico, CA

Pros

They have fresh fruit in the breakroom.

Cons

The management is incompetent for the most part. They will do a bait and switch with comp plans for you. The people driving the sales comp plans are not even in sales, have never worked in sales or understand how sales works. Another reviewer said it best, get in and get your experience and move on.

Oct 17, 2016

It sounds like you just recently had a horrible experience with a manager in regards to your comp program. As a sales focused organization, this sort of problem needs to be dealt with. I hate to see ... More

10. "Build.com is the best employer I've ever worked for, by far."

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Chico, CA

I have been working at Build.com (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, average age of employees, the dynamic, possibilities are endless, corporate/mid-size - best of both worlds, experimenting with A/B testing and your own ideas. The hunger for success is everywhere there.

Cons

Training, (some) management, and the social politics of moving up quickly.

Advice to Management

Everywhere has it's ups and downs - this is a given. My advice will be where it should be - on Compini.

Oct 3, 2016

Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate all that you do!