CCRi Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at CCRi

2.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at CCRi

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CCRi.

Interview

Pretty straightforward - phone screen first, then an hour long on-site interview with 2 engineers. Nothing too technical, just a couple simple coding questions on the whiteboard, talked about data structures, and some fit/background questions.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CCRi (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2016.

Interview

A few weeks after submitting my application, I was contacted for a primary screening interview. This was conducted over the phone with one current employee, and lasted roughly thirty (30) minutes. After initial introductions, I was asked to describe my experience, background, and professional summary. Then I was asked a few specific software-engineering questions in a quiz-like manner.

A few days after the phone interview, I was invited (via email) for an in-person interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The in-person interview was conducted by three (3) current employees, and lasted just over two (2) hours. The first part was spent giving greater detail about my work history, experience, interests, and purpose / intent for applying to CCRI. During the second period, I was allowed to interview the CCRI panelists -- which gave me great insight the work atmosphere at the company, and I very much appreciated the opportunity. The third and last period was dedicated to specific software-engineering-related technical questions that required critical thinking, writing out solutions, and simulated what it would be like to work with a small team at CCRI.

The overall process was very thorough, professional (yet not intimidating), and informative. The personnel with which I was acquainted were very pleasant, intelligent, and fun to interact with. I only wish there were more technical questions -- but only because I love the challenge. I doubt very much anyone else would honestly desire more grilling.

Interview Questions

• I will not give specifics as I respect CCRI's desire to conduct interviews with as much impartiality as possible, and do not wish to give anyone else an undue advantage; however, all questions asked were technical in nature, and directly related to the position for which I had applied: Software Engineer. The questions were both academic and applicable.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CCRi.

Interview

At first the interview went well, but I was insulted a few times by the person identified as the founder of the company. I was taken back by the direct insults. He felt I wasn't experienced enough in Data Science . I was offered an alternative position , but wasn't given a chance to even consider it. As soon as I hesitated, they decided not to hire me. I found the whole experience rude and a waste of my time. Personally after thinking over the offer, I would have taken it happily. They seem like smart people, but a bit clueless.

Interview Questions

• Explain how to troubleshoot IT related systems when they are remote .   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CCRi (Charlottesville, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Got a phone "talk" within days after applying. Had a google hangouts interview scheduled in a few days after that. Got the rejection email in less than 48 hours. They are very pleasant and very good about emailing. I might apply again eventually. The information on Glassdoor seems a bit out of date, they tell me there's around 65 employees now, a bit larger than Glassdoor indicates.

Interview Questions

• How to build a data structure for arithmetic expressions.   Answer Question

CCRi Response

Apr 20, 2016 – Director of Operations

Thanks for your review of our interview process. I've taken the liberty of updating some of our figures on glassdoor. We have worked hard to streamline our process and maintain good communication... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CCRi (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Received a phone interview within a week of applying. Introductions on phone were very minimal and I didn't realize there was another person (in addition to the main interviewer) on the call until half way through. Mostly answered questions about my past work and education. Asked to go into detail about certain coding projects I had listed on my resume and how they worked. Overall, the interviewers were monotone but not necessarily unfriendly. Some of the questions seemed rather vague and unconventional. Received email the next week informing me that I was not selected for an in-person interview (definitely appreciated the heads-up rather than leaving me guessing).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CCRi (Charlottesville, VA) in January 2014.

Interview

The process started with a very pleasant phone screen, which focused on my strengths, and in which I candidly expressed gaps with some aspects of what they were looking for. It was determined, based on some of my project code on Github, that I could fill a gap with both skills in web application development as well as back-end data skills. I was also encouraged to read up on Scala and in particular Akka. I bought books on Scala and Akka to prepare.
    The issue was that the phone interviewer wasn't at all present for the on-site interview. I drove over 2 hours to get to the interview, and nothing I had talked about on the phone seemed relevant to the people interviewing me. Suddenly, the focus was on exactly the things I had specifically stated up-front were not strengths. An effort to show off the real-time web app I had just built was rebuffed. Zero mention of Scala or Akka.
    The worst part was that despite a 2 and a half hour drive each way, nobody from the company ever returned an email or phone call after the interview. I never got so much as a "thank you, but not a good fit."

Interview Questions

• In the midst of presenting work I had done on time-series data using Python, I was asked how to fill in missing values using PostgreSQL commands. No idea, but I did take a long crack at it and eventually made progress. Also he wanted me to know Awk. I have now learned Awk, but at the time I had never touched it.   Answer Question

CCRi Response

Sep 18, 2015 – Director of Operations

We apologize for poor communication. We have since implemented an applicant tracking system and provide feedback to all candidates promptly. We also have improved the documentation of our screens... More