Caltech (California) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Caltech (California) Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2017

2.6

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

There was no interview, so this portion is just superfluous. I am just typing to meet the minimum word requirement for this box. Wow, who knew that thirty words could be so long?

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

The first step is to apply online. The process is very competitive. Once you get selected for the interview, you are invited to come to campus to meet the professor on a one on one interview.

Fixed Asset Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview Process:
    1. apply online, set up phone interview for prescreening
    2. wait for recruiter to let you know whether to proceed with the in person interview and perform excel testing
    3. if hired, they’ll contact you.

Interview Questions

• 1. What interests you about this position?
      2. What is your day to day excel experience?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California) in October 2016.

Interview

The person interviewing me was nice and straightforward about what they were looking for. There weren't any stupid generic interview questions, which was nice. Was professional through and through, but also straightforward and pleasant. Overall a good experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Email communication. Initial offer and ability to negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

I had two round of interviews. One to One with the hiring manager and a another was a panel interview. Interviewers were really nice and helpful and made me feel comfortable throughout the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions were around my previous experience. There were also some behavior related questions   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

The interview process is very informal-- it typically involves presenting your previous work in front of the lab / research group you are planning to join, then go through a series of one-on-one meetings to discuss research interests and prior experiences. The overall process may vary greatly though depending on the particular research group / department you are planning to join.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? How would you design an experiment to test this particular hypothesis?   Answer Question

Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Reached out to a professor who invited me to interview, asked me what my skills were and took a resume, then had me summarize the project he pitched to me back to him. Was hired a few days later after competing with another candidate. I had to write a page long summary which morphed into my proposal draft. This resulted in me getting the job over the other candidate .

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltech (California) (Pasadena, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It's a full day process, met with PI, gave a presentation, then talk individually with every lab members. Since I came from a totally different background, there was no difficult questions. At the end, I was told that an official offer will be made once the PI got feedback from lab members. Overall very pleasant experience

Interview Questions

• What's your career plan?
      How long do you intend to stay in this position   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caltech (California).

Interview

Full Day 9am - 9pm. I had a meeting with the primary faculty and then meetings with the subdivisions of the research group. Several senior faculty and a postdoc took me to lunch and then I gave a 50 min presentation of my doctoral research. Afterwards, I met with more group members until the middle of the afternoon and then had an exit interview with the primary faculty. That evening, I attended a group social function.

Interview Questions

• Would you be wiling to oversee and mentor graduate students and undergraduate students?   Answer Question

Sustainability Assisotate Interview

Interview

The first interview was a phone interview with someone from the human resource department. She only asked three basic questions. Very simple.

Second interview was a phone interview with the sustainability director at Caltech. We spoke for around an hour. The interview was mostly experienced based questions with a couple of situational questions. The conversation flowed very well and was somewhat casual. A very positive interviewing experience.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with LEED building certifications?   Answer Question