Cambridge Consultants Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 12, 2017

3.5

Graduate Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

A half day consisting of five interviews, one with HR, and four technical interviews. HR asked general "tell me about yourself style" questions, and gave information about the benefits of working for the company (pension, insurance etc). After this followed two of the technical interview, on software and electrical engineering. Then free lunch and a tour of their facilities. Finally the last two interviews, on systems engineering and general problem solving.

Interview Questions

• How much information is produced by an array of radar detectors?   Answer Question
    • How would you convert a d.c. voltage to a lower voltage (while ensuring power efficiency and operation under varying load)?   Answer Question

Software Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website and was invited to a telephone interview less than a week after. I was called by the group member of the area I applied to, who introduced her/himself and talked about some of the projects Cambridge Consultants was running. Also asked about my CV, experiences and team projects, and some technical questions, such as:

- What is a main function and what is its return value?
    - What is the size of an integer and what influences it?
    - What is a finite state machine?
    - What are the differences between a program run on a PC to one run on another device, such as an Arduino?

Took less than 25 minutes and at the end I was informed that I would be contacted about the decision on my application and that the next stage would be an Assessment Centre. I received an email two days after the interview informing that I did not pass the telephone interview.

In the end I realised the complete answers to the questions, and as I was nervous I could not give them all during the interview. So I do recommend to review these and some other concepts about the role you applied to, although you are not informed of anything.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied for another role on website, heard back a month or two later saying I was not considered suitable for that job but that another division wanted to have a chat with me. Phone interview arranged that week, spent about an hour being asked about my background and general interview questions, also asking what attracts you to the company.

Next week was offered face-to-face interview in Cambridge. All travel expenses covered and helped with finding a good place to stay (they were also happy to pay more to ensure I wouldn't be rushing to get there on time).

Spent whole day basically in one room, with a break for lunch in their (free) canteen and a short tour of the place. The nice thing is that they get a different person/couple of people to do each little stage of the day, so you're meeting new people all the time. I should note that every person who spoke to me had read through my CV/application form so all knew stuff about me, which was quite nice.

The day went like this:

Chat with HR (General Background)
    Lunch & Tour
    Chat with Head of Group about CV and Company

All of which lasted about 45 minutes, some were less. Lots of thinking back to old physics equations but generally was more a test of logic and to see how you deal with a problem as opposed to if you got the answer straightaway.

In summary, it was a pleasant day and they made it as comfortable as you can make an interview. It sounds intense but I thought the day flew by, and I got a very good feel of the place.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that would move one thing from here to here

Working out the fluid dynamics in a medical device

Force direction in a structure   1 Answer

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied via an agency who sent my CV to CC. A one to one phone interview was then arranged with the group leader. The phone interview lasted over an hour. The second interview stage would've been at their offices in Cambridge.

Senior DSP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on the website, got contacted a week later by HR, arranged a one hour call with the team lead. The phone interview is pretty straightforward, describing briefly your experience, your interest and goals. Then some behavioural question which I found a bit out of context, but still understandable. Some very high level technical questions, which led to an informal chat which was quite enjoyable, not leaning too much on the details. Less then a week later I got an email from the HR telling they didn't want to go further with the process, because...well, this is the disappointing point: they are "unable to provide feedback due to company policy".

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to do if you were working for us; Describe your experience in your past companies; Some questions about wireless communications (OFDM, equalization techniques)   Answer Question

Software Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I sent my CV, had a phone interview, filled in an application form and was then invited to an assessment day. On the assessment day I had separate interviews with the following: the software testing team leader, a programmer from the team, and a project manager.

The team leader was good to chat with, she focused on discussing testing principles and walked me through different testing scenarios. The 'programming' test was a mix of discussing my favourite programming languages and a brief whiteboard coding question. The project interview consisted of questions about project organisation and teamwork.

Interview Questions

• How would you test a pipe for instalment in a building?   Answer Question
    • What's involved in planning/managing a project, and can you plan the individual design stages serially, or will there be some overlap?   Answer Question
    • Would you prefer working individually or in a team?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in June 2016.

Interview

Following a fairly simple phone interview, was invited to Cambridge for a day of interviews (10am ~ 4pm). Travel was reimbursed.

The day had 5 distinct sections, each lasting around 1hr:
    - A nice chat with HR going over my CV and what I enjoyed/didn't at university etc.
    - Interview with whom I'd be working under to gauge my thought process when solving a problem.
    - Lunch and tour of the facilities with possible future colleagues.
    - Technical interview with coding questions.
    - Another technical interview gauging my numerical problem solving abilities (this was fairly abstract and perhaps not directly related to the role).

Throughout the process, I felt the intention of such a long interview day and exposure to so many different employees at CCL was to both give me a good understanding of the feel of the company in addition to being assessed myself, which was extremely helpful in gathering an informed opinion of the working environment/personnel.

Overall, a very good experience which gave me a good feel of the company culture, though some of the technical questions were a little tricky!

Interview Questions

• Did you get your first choice university? If so, why did you apply there?   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Cambridge Consultants pride themselves on the rigour of their interview process. It was certainly long - though I'm not sure it was especially rigorous. It was very repetitive. If you make it past the first application stage be prepared to complete multiple forms - each with variations of the same details.

My initial application was the classic 'cover letter and CV' detailing my experience and skills. After being accepted on this basis I was asked to, effectively, copy and paste this into a long-winded online Cambridge Consultants' form.

This got me to the telephone interview stage - a 1-to-1 call with a member of Cambridge Consultants' staff. After which I was asked to complete another form with remarkably similar details to the first - only this one was an editable PDF so required specific software to edit it or had to be printed, done off-line, scanned and returned - and was against a 48hr deadline. It all seemed very odd and something of a waste of time to repeat information which they had already received at least twice.

Still - I made it to a face-to-face interview. Despite the recruitment process starting almost a month beforehand it was three days after the date for my face-to-face interview was confirmed that I was told I needed to prepare a presentation. It all felt rather rushed. The presentation brief was fairly scant: there was no information on what presentation hardware would be available; nothing on whom the audience for the presentation would be; no business or marketing plan (so I had to guess at what their KPIs and Goals were) and not even a ballpark of budget and resource available to the post-holder.

I took the initiative and asked for more information - but only received minimal additional information and less than 48hrs before the interview, giving little time to incorporate it into my presentation.

I had to give the presentation to members of the team tackling questions like the example I listed. After that it was a panel interview with the same members of the team with further panel-style interviews with senior members of related teams that the role would be working with.

It was a long day, broken up by lunch and a tour of the building.

Despite the self professed rigour it wasn't an especially challenging interview - quite standard interview questions - it was more a challenge of stamina and focus. Perhaps that is what they wanted to test. For a technology company the marketing team did seem very traditional and unaware of latest techniques and best practices.

I was interviewed midweek and told I'd receive a decision before the weekend. However, it wasn't until nearly a week later that I did receive a rejection - and a very 'automated' one too.

Again, I took the initiative and asked for further feedback, to help me improve. I had to chase for this (twice) and more than 2 weeks after the interview received a rather curt, two-line email saying it was felt I "wasn't a good fit". After all the hoops to jump through for the interview process I felt somewhat short-changed by that.

I didn't receive an offer so perhaps this review is jaded by that - but had I received an offer I'm not sure I'd have accepted it after the application process.

Interview Questions

• Where do you feel our digital brand is today?   1 Answer

Electronics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I got an email saying they liked my application and wanted to proceed to a telephone interview. Had the telephone interview and they said I would have another 2 or 3 45-minute interview in person if I passed. ALL of this for a first year wanting to do an 8-week internship... anyways.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Cambridge consultants and what kind of role would you like to do?
      What is Stack Memory and what is it used for, what is ROM memory, what is a compiler.
      If you would have to program a micro controller in C how about would you start doing it.
      If I were to connect an LED to a circuit connected to the microcontroller - how would I design it? Which components would I connect?
      If I see the LED is not lighting, what other components would I connect?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants.

Interview

I applied online on their website and got contacted soon thereafter. We scheduled a phone screening in which we talked about the company and my experience, then I was asked C questions and a couple of question related to my CV.