Cambridge Consultants Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 24, 2017

3.5

Embedded Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied via an agency who sent my CV to CC. A one to one phone interview was then arranged with the group leader. The phone interview lasted over an hour. The second interview stage would've been at their offices in Cambridge.

Senior DSP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in November 2016.

Interview

Applied on the website, got contacted a week later by HR, arranged a one hour call with the team lead. The phone interview is pretty straightforward, describing briefly your experience, your interest and goals. Then some behavioural question which I found a bit out of context, but still understandable. Some very high level technical questions, which led to an informal chat which was quite enjoyable, not leaning too much on the details. Less then a week later I got an email from the HR telling they didn't want to go further with the process, because...well, this is the disappointing point: they are "unable to provide feedback due to company policy".

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to do if you were working for us; Describe your experience in your past companies; Some questions about wireless communications (OFDM, equalization techniques)   Answer Question

Software Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

I sent my CV, had a phone interview, filled in an application form and was then invited to an assessment day. On the assessment day I had separate interviews with the following: the software testing team leader, a programmer from the team, and a project manager.

The team leader was good to chat with, she focused on discussing testing principles and walked me through different testing scenarios. The 'programming' test was a mix of discussing my favourite programming languages and a brief whiteboard coding question. The project interview consisted of questions about project organisation and teamwork.

Interview Questions

• How would you test a pipe for instalment in a building?   Answer Question
    • What's involved in planning/managing a project, and can you plan the individual design stages serially, or will there be some overlap?   Answer Question
    • Would you prefer working individually or in a team?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in June 2016.

Interview

Following a fairly simple phone interview, was invited to Cambridge for a day of interviews (10am ~ 4pm). Travel was reimbursed.

The day had 5 distinct sections, each lasting around 1hr:
    - A nice chat with HR going over my CV and what I enjoyed/didn't at university etc.
    - Interview with whom I'd be working under to gauge my thought process when solving a problem.
    - Lunch and tour of the facilities with possible future colleagues.
    - Technical interview with coding questions.
    - Another technical interview gauging my numerical problem solving abilities (this was fairly abstract and perhaps not directly related to the role).

Throughout the process, I felt the intention of such a long interview day and exposure to so many different employees at CCL was to both give me a good understanding of the feel of the company in addition to being assessed myself, which was extremely helpful in gathering an informed opinion of the working environment/personnel.

Overall, a very good experience which gave me a good feel of the company culture, though some of the technical questions were a little tricky!

Interview Questions

• Did you get your first choice university? If so, why did you apply there?   Answer Question

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

Cambridge Consultants pride themselves on the rigour of their interview process. It was certainly long - though I'm not sure it was especially rigorous. It was very repetitive. If you make it past the first application stage be prepared to complete multiple forms - each with variations of the same details.

My initial application was the classic 'cover letter and CV' detailing my experience and skills. After being accepted on this basis I was asked to, effectively, copy and paste this into a long-winded online Cambridge Consultants' form.

This got me to the telephone interview stage - a 1-to-1 call with a member of Cambridge Consultants' staff. After which I was asked to complete another form with remarkably similar details to the first - only this one was an editable PDF so required specific software to edit it or had to be printed, done off-line, scanned and returned - and was against a 48hr deadline. It all seemed very odd and something of a waste of time to repeat information which they had already received at least twice.

Still - I made it to a face-to-face interview. Despite the recruitment process starting almost a month beforehand it was three days after the date for my face-to-face interview was confirmed that I was told I needed to prepare a presentation. It all felt rather rushed. The presentation brief was fairly scant: there was no information on what presentation hardware would be available; nothing on whom the audience for the presentation would be; no business or marketing plan (so I had to guess at what their KPIs and Goals were) and not even a ballpark of budget and resource available to the post-holder.

I took the initiative and asked for more information - but only received minimal additional information and less than 48hrs before the interview, giving little time to incorporate it into my presentation.

I had to give the presentation to members of the team tackling questions like the example I listed. After that it was a panel interview with the same members of the team with further panel-style interviews with senior members of related teams that the role would be working with.

It was a long day, broken up by lunch and a tour of the building.

Despite the self professed rigour it wasn't an especially challenging interview - quite standard interview questions - it was more a challenge of stamina and focus. Perhaps that is what they wanted to test. For a technology company the marketing team did seem very traditional and unaware of latest techniques and best practices.

I was interviewed midweek and told I'd receive a decision before the weekend. However, it wasn't until nearly a week later that I did receive a rejection - and a very 'automated' one too.

Again, I took the initiative and asked for further feedback, to help me improve. I had to chase for this (twice) and more than 2 weeks after the interview received a rather curt, two-line email saying it was felt I "wasn't a good fit". After all the hoops to jump through for the interview process I felt somewhat short-changed by that.

I didn't receive an offer so perhaps this review is jaded by that - but had I received an offer I'm not sure I'd have accepted it after the application process.

Interview Questions

• Where do you feel our digital brand is today?   1 Answer

Electronics Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I got an email saying they liked my application and wanted to proceed to a telephone interview. Had the telephone interview and they said I would have another 2 or 3 45-minute interview in person if I passed. ALL of this for a first year wanting to do an 8-week internship... anyways.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Cambridge consultants and what kind of role would you like to do?
      What is Stack Memory and what is it used for, what is ROM memory, what is a compiler.
      If you would have to program a micro controller in C how about would you start doing it.
      If I were to connect an LED to a circuit connected to the microcontroller - how would I design it? Which components would I connect?
      If I see the LED is not lighting, what other components would I connect?
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants.

Interview

I applied online on their website and got contacted soon thereafter. We scheduled a phone screening in which we talked about the company and my experience, then I was asked C questions and a couple of question related to my CV.

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

Rather slow email responses, always went through an impersonal camb.recruitment@... address and always via a new email thread (little bit unprofessional email handling for a technology company). First 4 hours of Skype interviewing, then I was flown in from Asia to Europe for 5 hours of face to face interviewing. The interviews were fun and the senior management were very inspiring people. I didn't get to speak many lower level people and those few that I spoke to were a bit geeky, not really great advertisement for the company. Although I made it pretty far in the process and the hiring manager literally mentioned on the phone that they 'really would like to have me on their team', I was rejected in the very end. The official reason was that my enthusiasm was not as they had pictured from the Skype sessions. When I asked for more clarification, I didn't get any response from the people I spoke to. In fact that's the point where all communication ended. It was difficult to see inside this company and many of my answers remain unanswered until today. It feels very mysterious from my experience. I invested a lot of time (i.e. holidays) in this trip and expected to get more out of it than just the story about the enthusiasm.

Interview Questions

• 1. 4 rods arranged into a diamond shape mechanism. A load is placed at one joint. Indicate the forces/stresses in each rod. Can you optimise the rods to improve material usage.
      2. A disposable cutting tool for tissue and cartilage. Give some examples of how you would power the movement of this cutter.
      3. How would you design the dosage system of a dry powder inhaler.
      4. How would you mount an LCD display into a housing
      1 Answer
    • Say the first word that pops up in your mind when you think about.... garden!   1 Answer

Graduate Engineer/Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Beautiful interview room, coffee and biscuits and stuff, some HR to start, and then straight into technical interviews. Break for lunch with an employee, tour around the lab, and then more technical/design interviews, more HR, and done. 4-5 hours in total.

Interview Questions

• - Pulleys - what's the tension in the rope *here* with this big weight *here* and all these pulleys *here* and *here* and *here*? And then, what if the weight is accelerating at 4 m/s2?
      - measuring fluid flow through a pipe using a "black box" that has no moving parts
      - designing an autonomous, motorized cart to travel through a warehouse
      Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cambridge Consultants (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

I was recommended by an employee and then emailed an application form to fill in. I was offered a phone interview which was approximately an hour and then invited to Cambridge a few weeks later for an interview. The interview as a series of 1:1 sessions and a lunch time tour. My interview as on a Friday and I was made an offer the following Tuesday.

Interview Questions

• If there is a fountain in a garden how high does the water go.   Answer Question