Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions

Interviews at Chicago Public Schools

2.7

Teacher Interview

Interview

Recruiter interviewed by phone (I was out of state at the time) awesome recruiter!
    Got to Chicago attended a job fair, was called by a principal to come in for an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in October 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward, well organized and amenable. Check in at the front desk and they will tell you to go down the escalator and check in at the substitute teaching table. You'll get a number and will be asked to go in a room and watch the PowerPoint while waiting to be called. When you are called, you will go to another room and go to the table with the number were given. The room consists of 6+ tables where other people are interviewing as well. As for the interview itself, rhere was only one and it consisted of five scenerio questions. The interviewer showed genuine interest and was really considerate.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if the teacher did not leave any lesson plans for the class?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you had a misbehaving student?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you think make an effective teacher?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is a challenge that comes with being a substitute teacher?   Answer Question
    • What did you major in and how do you think your major would help in a classroom?   Answer Question

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in September 2019.

Interview

The school district is very large and interviewing is based upon the administration at each school. There is a screening process you must go through before being interviewed at the school level.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in August 2019.

Interview

[First, it's a long process. One person is responsible for all the substitute work at the HR office. Don't contact them. There's nothing they can do to hurry the process.] An interview 1:1 with a retired principal at an invitation only scheduled event. I had to apply online through the website. I was contacted quickly afterward for an interview. It was then a 4-6 week wait for the paperwork to be processed. The interview questions began with asking whether you were also looking for permanent work with the district, and if so, what kind. Then about 8-10 scenarios were presented. Once approved, you'll need to do a background check with fingerprinting, a TB test, a drug test, and a lot of paperwork. You can do the TB test ahead of time, as long as it's within 60 days of submitting your final paperwork, but it's also included as part of your drug testing if you want to wait. If you do it through your own provider, I would wait until 4 weeks after the interview to be safe. You'll have to pay for the TB test (varies. skin test is ~$10) and the drug test ($30).

Interview Questions

• Q: Do you have any of your own materials to bring?   1 Answer
    • Q: What would you do if the teacher did not leave specific instructions or lesson plans?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in May 2019.

Interview

a three step process one part was written and the last part was in peson interview with a potential supervisor and team. I was given a tour and had a chance to speak with who I would be working with.

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed over the phone, then interviewed with the administration and case manager. It wasn't super extensive as they were eager to fill vacant positions, It think. It helps, also if you know someone to refer you to the position.

Interview Questions

• I think they asked me basic classroom management questions, what I would do with a challenging student, my background, not super difficult.   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Interview

I had a phone screening with the assistant principal and then two interviews. The second one had the department chair as well. I was asked questions about pedagogy and about how I would fit in with the department

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about the modeling technique for teaching   Answer Question

Citywide Bilingual Translator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in December 2018.

Interview

First had to complete a translation test and was asked a couple of questions after. It was insinuated that I was not going to enjoy the position due to being young, which is extremely discriminatory and unfair. Sent an email after not hearing back for a while to see if I was still being considered and I never got a response back. Not a great experience at all.

Interview Questions

• What type of translation work have you had experience with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in December 2018.

Interview

It was a group interview, but not a typical 1-person-per group interview. Instead, you walked in as a group, but each potential employee was teamed up with an interviewer who conducted the interview. It took about 20 minutes, was very professional, and left me feeling good about CPS.

Interview Questions

• Let's say you get to a classroom, and the teacher doesn't have a lesson plan prepared. What do you do?   1 Answer

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in November 2018.

Interview

It's downtown at their office. You sign in and wait for them to call your name. They send you in a room to wait and there is a slideshow that plays. Very important information on the slideshow so pay attention (It's kind of boring!)

I was waiting over an hour for my name to be called but my interviewer informed me that they had a fire drill and was running behind.

Everyone was really nice and down to earth.