Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2017

2.8

Content Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview

The process took about 2 months. It included a lengthy online application, a short phone interview, a panel interview, followed by a one-on-one interview (a confirmation or sorts) by the Chief of the department.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

After completing the initial application online, CPS will send a follow-up email for you to schedule an interview.
    After arriving at the interview, you are placed in a room with multiple applicants. They will call you for your interview about 30-45 mins after your scheduled interview. Once you are called, you are usually interviewed by a principal who will ask you 3-5 questions about classroom management.

Interview Questions

• 1. How do you reward a student for a job well done?
      2. What would you do if the teacher did not leave a lesson plan?
      3. How would you respond to an off-task student?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Got an interview through inside contact. I came with binder of my 'teaching portfolio' which interviewer seemed to find impressive. Interviewed with principal and department chair. Heavy discussion of classroom management, differentiation, experience working with non-native English speakers, challenges in the past, etc.

Interview Questions

• What class would you propose to add to the course catalog here?   Answer Question

Subst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted to come downtown for an actual interview. I arrived before the time I was due to appear and placed my name on a list. There was a girl in front of me who was literally running to get in. It turns out that she was thirty minutes late to her interview. Despite this, she was called in just before me. It doesn't really matter if you show up on time or not. I was called in, and the woman asked me a few questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the classroom if the teacher did not leave anything for you to teach?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I arrived and showed my ID to the front desk and they let you know where to go. There is a table for substitute interviews and you have to show your subbing license and sign in. Once you sign in, you go to a large room and wait there until they call you in the lobby for an interview. In the waiting room, there is a Powerpoint that you watch that gives you information about being a substitute. Once your name gets called, you will get a number and then have a one on one interview with a Principal in another room along with other applicants interviewing as well. They will only email you to let you know if you have been accepted or not. If accepted you have a 12 step process to go through to become a sub like background checks and TB tests.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with students who did not want to do work?   1 Answer
    • What makes an effective teacher?   1 Answer
    • What if the teacher did not leave any lesson plans for you?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

CPS held a career fair at Phoenix Military Academy concurrent with the substitute interviewing process. Hence, there was confusion about if those coming for the scheduled interviews had to wait in a massive line that had formed for a different purpose. There was more confusion about where to actually sign in for the substitute interviews, but not terrible. You sign in and take a seat on the bleachers. Your name will be called and you will be given the number of the table where your interviewer is located. Once you've signed in, the process is pretty quick and streamlined. You go to the table where your interview will take place and that's it.

Interview Questions

• How would you prepare for a class that may or may not have materials ready for you?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview

Met with the hiring manager and another SLP. Did a written case study and then had a face-to-face interview. Mainly asked about things on my resume and how that would transfer to the caseloads

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools.

Interview

Had me to come in and facilitate a post secondary group. I ran a group on preparing students for high school in which discussed time management and the importance of being organized.

School Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

After applying through the CPS career website, I was contacted via email that I had been selected to come in for an interview. I needed to reply in order to confirm my interest in the position. Roughly 4 days later, my interview date and time were emailed and once again I had to confirm my interest. The interview was fairly simple. It consisted of a 30 min test (answering questions to see the ability to answer questions and testing excel skills). It was followed by a 30-45 min conversation with the school principal regarding my skills and qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      Describe your personality.
      Why are you interested in this specific position?
      The excel test was basic (testing your ability to use the sort function).
      Some translating.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This process has been arduous at best. I wish that the timeline was better explained when I began this process as it has been fairly frustrating. I applied for a substitute license on 2/28 and received it on 3/16. I applied that day to sub for CPS and received an invite to interview in person for 3/29. As of right now, 4/3, I still have not been approved for the "quality teacher pool". I have been told it may take several weeks to hear back from this interview. Once you're approved into that pool there is an onboarding process which involves a TB test, fingerprinting, and background check. The onboarding process likely takes around ~2 weeks from my understanding. The interview was very speedy. It was like being called up at the DMV and it is first come first serve. It does not matter what time your interview is, to be honest. Bring a book because cell reception is rough and you may have to wait close to an hour. Overall the process has so far cost $110 (registering license and applying for it) and is looking like it will take roughly 2-3 months from when I decided to become a sub to actually becoming one. Another important thing to know is that if you don't sub during a 90 day period you have to start this process over (minus the license)!