Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Interview Questions

Updated Apr 3, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

This process has been arduous at best. I wish that the timeline was better explained when I began this process as it has been fairly frustrating. I applied for a substitute license on 2/28 and received it on 3/16. I applied that day to sub for CPS and received an invite to interview in person for 3/29. As of right now, 4/3, I still have not been approved for the "quality teacher pool". I have been told it may take several weeks to hear back from this interview. Once you're approved into that pool there is an onboarding process which involves a TB test, fingerprinting, and background check. The onboarding process likely takes around ~2 weeks from my understanding. The interview was very speedy. It was like being called up at the DMV and it is first come first serve. It does not matter what time your interview is, to be honest. Bring a book because cell reception is rough and you may have to wait close to an hour. Overall the process has so far cost $110 (registering license and applying for it) and is looking like it will take roughly 2-3 months from when I decided to become a sub to actually becoming one. Another important thing to know is that if you don't sub during a 90 day period you have to start this process over (minus the license)!

Payroll Department Interview

Interview

Got an email and call to schedule interview. Was interviewed by a team of 3 people from that department. Each took turns asking questions. I'm assuming the end result would be 2 out of 3 votes in order to be considered for hiring

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Most interviews were very simple as they needed to fill the position as soon as possible as they were non-compliant with the law if the schools was not providing students with the required minutes per their IEPs. They fill based on need rather than ability and to save themselves the stress.

Interview Questions

• What makes you an excellent candidate in our school? Why would you be a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in February 2017.

Interview

The process took way longer than it should have, but the interview itself was about 6 minutes long. There were lots of hoops to jump through with HR and the process was expensive (license + drug test + TB test + Background check).

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where students were refusing to do their work?   1 Answer

Substitute Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was short and sweet. I walked in, checked in with security, sign in with CPS, wait in a meeting room with other interviewees to be called. Then there's a short 1 on 1 interview. I guess if u have experience the interview could last longer but I had no sub'n experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. If teacher left no lesson plan what would you do?
      2. If a student is acting out how would you handle it
      3. What would you say is one of the biggest drawbacks to sub'n
      Answer Question

Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview consisted of a 10 panel members of the Local School Council. The LSC asked a series of questions for an hour and half. The council was very warm and welcoming as I entered the school. What was unusual was the presence of children in a close

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a parent was irate and screaming at you in the presence of the students and staff?   Answer Question

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Excellent interview, great personalities a great work environment wonderful place to work at great environment excellent people employees very clean very professional, the location is accessible also have handicap facilities and Grace security

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

A process that should have taken 2-3 weeks took close to 3 months. The Teacher Quality Pool is a process that does not seem necessary when it takes an exorbitant amount of time and hinders the ability to apply to open teaching positions.

Spanish Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Met with Department Chairperson and Administration as well as key department members. In person Demonstration lesson required on second interview with existing students for a level 1 language class. Chose a grammar lesson with key highlights for any heritage or native speakers along w/lower level students. Culturally inclusive of students in front of me an the world language. 20 minutes. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a unit you use for teaching _____?
      Classroom management styles/methods requested with elaboration on hypothetical situations.
      Basic interested and getting to know you questions.
      Describe a difficult teaching moment and how you handled it and why.
      Answer Question

Teacher Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Chicago Public Schools (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

After a friend at the school put in my resume I was contacted to set up a phone screening interview. After the phone screening I was invited to interview in person in a panel interview a few days later. Was told they had a few other interviews to complete and would get back to me, but never heard anything from them again.

Interview Questions

• Describe a small group lesson and how you used assessment to inform your instruction.   Answer Question