Citizen Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Citizen Schools Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2017

Civic Engagement Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview

The process consisted of two phone interviews and then a final in-person interview. Before the in-person interview, they asked me to complete a project. The project was relevant to the job and useful in that sense, but it was a fair amount of work.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

This organization has a multi-stage hiring process. I started with a phone interview with a member of HR. I then had a Skype interview with the hiring manager and HR. Prior to the Skype session I was administered a task assignment (Job Specific Assignment/JSA) and required to turn in a document demonstrating my plan and deliverable to fulfill the prompt. We discussed the deliverable in the interview. I had a follow-up call from HR after the Skype interview. I then had an actual in-person meeting with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate both salary and title.

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview

Applied online. Within four weeks I was given a Skype interview with two employees.
    However, within about a week of receiving an offer, they were looking for a commitment. This was difficult considering it is an unpaid internship and was also early in the season (January). They were nice but a little pushy about getting a commitment.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted Citizen Schools, my assets in the workplace, how I felt about teamwork   Answer Question

Teaching Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Citizen Schools (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

Very quick and easy. However I would have been placed at a school in Harlem which is almost 2 overs from my apartment in Brooklyn. This would mean 13 hour days for me, which is not an option. I also came to this decision because the school has a reputation for poor student behavior and the company doesn't seem to offer much training upon starting.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle feeling overwhelmed by your workload?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools (Boston, MA).

Interview

Two Skype interviews- one with hr and one with boss. Lasted about an hour. Asked about passion for education, background, excel skills. Formal interview. Typical questions- strengths and weakness, career goals, management style etc. hr is very involved and helpful during interview process. They ask if you want class credit- no option for paid internship.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you liked your management and another time that you didn't?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview

Long online application that consisted of multiple scenario questions and short essay questions about interest in the program. Afterwards, a phone call interview takes place in which a TAC asks simple experience/interest questions. A lot is based on their mission statement and how you will possibly fulfill it. She asked questions such as "What is an example of a time you were in a leadership position". A one on one with the director follows.

Teaching Associate Interview

Interview

1.) They first call you and ask a few questions about yourself and how you handle conflict
    2.) Then you do an online activity
    3.) If you pass that then you go in for an interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Online Application
    Phone Interview (generic questions)
    Mini-Lesson (they will cut you off mid lesson if they "have seen what they need to see")
    Group Interview...you, current stressed out teaching fellow, exhausted upper management
    they check your references
    offer you the position

There are many different people involved in this process. it makes it hard to know who to connect regarding what. By the time my interview process ended I had talked to 6 different people and 4 of those people quit by the time I'd been hired.

Interview Questions

• If you could re-do your lesson how would you have made it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

It is multi-step.
    1) Cover Letter and Resume (1-2 weeks)
    2) Online Lesson Plan (1 week, you can apply for an extension if needed) - Submitted online
    3) In-Person/Skype Teaching (a specific content area) and Reflecting - Presentation in front of a panel and this is when you have your teacher voice, style, and timing

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you change next time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation as it was a living stipend.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Citizen Schools.

Interview

It was a joke. First, there was a phone interview. They are looking for specific answers. Look at their website, and use the same language you see there - otherwise, they are likely to pass on you. FYI - the people who conduct the phone interviews are often Teaching Associates or Teaching Fellows (average age 22 or 23). Often they are untrained and unsupervised in this role. They are very rarely prepared for the actual interview because on top of this responsibility, they are typically working 50+ hours with no additional time or pay scheduled for this additional responsibility. Second, I was required to fly in from out of town (on my own dime). Then, I had to wait over an hour for my interviewer to show up. My interview had been scheduled for 8:00 AM, but the office did not open until 9:00 AM. The person arrived at 9:30 with no apology for making me wait. We sat in a Starbucks and talked about my teaching experience for all of 5 minutes. This experience should have been a huge red flag for how the company operates.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were about behavior management and working with low income urban youth.   Answer Question