Clean Harbors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clean Harbors in October 2018.

Interview

I applied for a position online back in August 2018, but apparently, they already filled it. About 6 weeks later, I got a call from a recruiter asking me if I was still interested. From there:

1. Standard HR/recruiter phone screen. A lot of "Are you OK with..." questions: lifting 50 lbs, getting a Class B CDL (I actually already had one when I applied), working with hazardous waste (I worked with lots of hazmat at the job I had at the time), long hours (45-55 is what they told me), working in hospitals (to screen out people with fear of needles or infectious disease). Also I got asked standard questions about my basic qualifications and job history. This was about 20-30 minutes. Also, the recruiter was very helpful!

2. I was going to relocate for the job (I wanted to move out of my current city) so recruiter set up a phone interview with the hiring manager about one week later.

3. Branch Manager (one level above the hiring manager) called me since the hiring manger was sick. Questions were initially chemistry questions (pH of HCl, isopropanol, what is a flash point) and then going into experience and scenario questions (describe a difficult situation and how you handled it, describe a time when you had to bend the rules, describe a time you dealt with a difficult customer service situation, etc). I felt some of my answers weren't the best, but I think many of the questions were intended to be tricky and awkward to answer. The interview was about 1 hour.

4. The Branch Manager seemed happy enough with me so the hiring manager set up a follow-up phone interview about 3 business days later.

5. The final phone interview with the hiring manger was quite short, 15-20 minutes. He just asked a few questions that didn't get covered already. None of them were particularly difficult. I got the impression that they were planning on hiring me if I didn't raise any red flags in the final interview.

6. The hiring manager said I would hear back from them early the following week (the final interview was on a Wednesday). The following Monday, I got an offer. I attempted to negotiate the pay up. They declined, but it was still a good enough offer to accept so I did.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you dealt with an angry customer and what did you do to resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bismarck, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Clean Harbors (Bismarck, ND) in December 2013.

Interview

Interview was to the point. Manager was great at interviewing and honest about what was expected. Made me feel comfortable. Once I started the position the manager was a great mentor.

Labor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buttonwillow, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Clean Harbors (Buttonwillow, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

i was under the impressing i had the job but they never called me back. the interview was cool and everything, i did the drug test and background check but never heard from them.i guess they had some else in mind.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bridgeport, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clean Harbors (Bridgeport, NJ).

Interview

The interview was pretty unprofessional. They asked a few situational questions and a few basic chemistry questions. They then gave me a phone screening. They gave me a verbal offer afterwards and I accepted. They then called me the day after and rescinded the offer without explanation. They just seem very unorganized.

Interview Questions

• A ton of safety questions
      Where is HCl on the pH scale?
      What is flash point?   Answer Question

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clean Harbors.

Interview

The interview was via telephone and it started off just asking me questions I had previously answered on the application online. Then there were a few scenario questions from previous work experiences. It only lasted about 15 minutes, very short.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when the safety rules had changed and you were didn't know about it. How did you respond?

What was a good decision you made lately?

What was a poor decision you made lately?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Clean Harbors (Denver, CO) in September 2015.

Interview

long process took 4 months to get hired on 1 phone interview and 1 face to face and 1 group interview, and 1 post phone interview. Asked a number of questions regarding the job description and daily duties and how you will perform them.

Interview Questions

• Are you ok with handling hazardous chemicals/waste? Can you lift 50lbs? How do you handle customer conflicts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Clean Harbors (San Jose, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I just did the general phone screen with a third party recruiting company earlier this week. I have an in person interview at clean harbors today and will add additional interview questions.

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clean Harbors.

Interview

1. Phone "screen" with recruiter. Very basic questions about job duties.
    2. In person interview with manager. Basic chemistry quiz and hypothetical situation questions when on the job. Submitted DOL driving record
    3. Was offered the position a day later.

Not much room for negotiation in pay. The job description sent by the recruiter stated $16-20 but during the interview the manager said CleanPack Chemist I make $16-18, with opportunity to move up and make more as a Chemist II-IV.

Interview Questions

• What is a compound?
      Where is HCL on the pH scale?
      What is oxidation?
      When talking about gas, it is always presented with what information?
      Explain reduction?
      What is vapor density?
      What is flash point?   Answer Question

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clean Harbors.

Interview

Two chemistry questions asked. Mainly told me about the long hours. Asked if I could handle them. Asked a couple questions about prior experience handling chemicals and hazardous waste. Felt like they are looking for warm bodies.
    Follow up interview that was about job safety and prior experiences with safety concerns and issues.
    Nothing in depth from either interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Bottom rung of ladder.

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clean Harbors.

Interview

Don't believe the job listing; it's not a good reflection of what they want in an employee. They were completely uninterested in a fresh college grad with a BS in Geology. Mostly they just want people with experience moving hazardous waste, and they seem unwilling to train someone without the necessary skills. Of course, they informed me of this after canceling the first interview the day-of, then rescheduling for a phone interview which they ended up completely forgetting about. I called them and got the phone interview the next day, but overall I felt the hiring manager was disrespectful.

CleanPack Chemist Interview

Interview

The process was fairly quick. I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter via email. She sent a detailed job description along with a video describing the job and asked me to read and review the information to see if i was still interested. I reviewed it and was offered a interview a week later. The interview was very brief and mainly consisted of her telling me what the job consisted of, the long hours and physical demanding work it required. If offered a position a fitness test is required. Had the interview today, not sure if offered a job yet. But was told that she had a few interviews to finish up and would get back to me.

Interview Questions

• How do yo feel about working overnight sometimes? How do you feel about working 50-60 hours a week? Do you think you can pull 50-100 pounds?   Answer Question