Clean Harbors Reviews

Updated May 10, 2021

3.4
Clean Harbors Chairman, President, and CEO Alan S. McKim
Alan S. McKim
Pros
  • "There are some great people working here(in 52 reviews)

• "Good money safety is up to par good people to work around and just like working for clean harbors(in 42 reviews)

• Cons
  • "If it wasn't for the workers upper management wouldn't get the bonuses(in 57 reviews)

• "Long hours but that is driving truck in any and all weather conditions(in 55 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Clean Harbors and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

Proud to be a part of such an esteemed Organisation

May 3, 2021 - Team Leader in Hyderābād
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working with this esteemed organization for the past 1 and half years and it was a wonderful journey for me with clean harbors GCC Hyderabad. Open and honest communication, Friendly atmosphere within the organization and a lot of opportunities to grow. Recently, I delighted to receive such an honor in the form of chairman’s award which truly shows the transparency. Appreciates the hard work of employees efforts they put in achieving a specific goal in the form of R & R awards with gift cards as a perk. Eventually, It's the best company one could get into and proud to be a part of this valuable organization.

Cons

Nothing really to discuss and I am happy to be a part of it.

Clean Harbors Response

Congratulations on receiving this esteemed award! Goes to show that dedication and hard work does get recognized! Your positive attitude is evident in your review. Thank you for highlighting all the wonderful reasons why Clean Harbors is a leader in our industry.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Harmonizing all aspects of the collaborative work ethic

Feb 15, 2021 - Human Resources Business Partner in Gulf, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Instantly visible objectives, responsibilities, allocation of resources, providing platforms and essential engaging elements for nurturing and then maturing the attributes you bring to the table. Excellent collaborative team assistance!

Cons

Training objectives are measurable and verifiable. Facility/Project objectives could better align tasks to owners, timeline, target dates, etc., in effort to better identify and assist resources available for more realistic and attainable goals.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for sharing. One safety 3-6-5 program reinforces that we all must actively manage safety and continue speak up.

3. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Complete internal mess

Apr 29, 2021 - Information Technology in Norwell, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers when starting. Friendship Sandbox environment

Cons

Awful management, no training . Company is too big and doesnt take anytime to tell employees of new SOPs for customers. You are expected to micromanage yourself and good luck finding anyone to answers questions for you. You are simply just another body that can easily be replaced at anytime even if you are told you are doing a great job. Massive layoffs once a year. The company values money only and does not care about the health and wellness of any employee. Management has no concept of how long it takes to get tasks done and often pile projects on with unrealistic expectations. Dont expect to get a raise for at least 5 years. There are no annual reviews, you must ask your manager to have a performance review, after that expect to wait anywhere from 6 months to a year for a $1 increase daily. This process literally has to go through 7 people and there is never a guarantee. No spouses/partners allowed at any company party. No bonuses whatsoever and expect all of management to take weeks off around the holiday while you have to be in the office. Unrealistic expectations and if you are fortunate enough to get a company phone, you better believe to be expected to pick that phone up 24/7 anytime it rings and you will unintentionally signup for being on-call for the company. If you are looking to advance your career and make meaningful connections, I would 100% look somewhere else.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your time with us at Clean Harbors. I am sorry your experience did not have a positive ending. Good luck to you.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So much good, so much bad.

Apr 7, 2021 - Transportation Compliance Coordinator in Norwell, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love the people I work with, the hours are wonderful, the insurance is okay, the work life balance is excellent.

Cons

The pay. If I quit tomorrow that company would struggle to operate, yet Im still impoverished. They have consistently added tasks to my workload, to the point of suicidal thoughts, including the work of a former director. All the while they claim not being able to afford raises while constantly renovating our building with absolutely unnecessary additions. I dont need automatic doors at work, I need my medical bills paid.

2 people found this review helpful

Clean Harbors Response

Please reach out to our Employee Assistance Program immediately. Suicide is never the answer.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great career for the yes man!

Mar 23, 2021 - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great pay, training and people. What we do matters and I feel very good about our products and services. It’s a very typical, activities driven sales routine with reporting into SF.com Sales leadership is terrible and it is micro manage kingdom. Most of the great leaders in sales have moved up the ranks and the direct managers are basically former sales people who will just tow the line. No real emphasis on cultivating talent or focus on personal growth. It’s a “ What did you do for me today” environment “.

Cons

Sales leadership is terrible.. i.e. it’s a cluster cuss. It is most definitely a micro management kingdom. Most of the great leaders in sales have moved up the ranks and the direct managers are basically former sales people who will just tow the line. No real emphasis on cultivating talent or focus on personal growth. It’s a “ What did you do for me today” environment “.

1 person found this review helpful

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your feedback. Employee growth and development is essential to our success. This post will be shared as we do value our employees perspective.

6. 2.0

Safety-Kleen

May 10, 2021 - Sales and Service Representative in Lackawanna, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay Good hours Good Training Good coworkers Overtime available

Cons

Small facility At times a lack of product Currently short handed

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

great

May 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

it was fine and I enjoyed it

Cons

none, it was a great time

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your brief tenure at CH. Good luck!

8. 4.0

Excellent Opportunity for a New Career Path

Apr 27, 2021 - Technical Service Specialist in Braintree, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity for Growth, great for entry level

Cons

Benefits are subpar, some branches micromanage

Clean Harbors Response

Welcome to Clean Harbors and thank you for review. I am thrilled to hear you are having a great start at CH. There are a plethora of developmental opportunities which you can discuss with your manager. Please explore the Connections page on our portal to find a plethora of resources.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not the best place to grow

Feb 25, 2021 - Environmental Technician in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Easy work - if you want to just coast and to routine work, this might be a good place for you

Cons

-Easy work - if you want to grow and develop more skills, this is not the best place for you. -Compensation structure - in theory their compensation structure sounds fair and equitable. You can advance in pay after reaching certain training milestones and years with the company. In practice, their are bottlenecks in this system that make getting raises slower than it should be. A coworker of mine didn't get a raise for several years, then got a small raise. -High turnover - in the location I was based out of, there was a lot of turnover. They are often able to get young, fresh college grads to join the team, hoping to do inspiring environmental work. The reality is that it's routine clean up work. I'm not sure many of the young college grads realized this when they sign on. Add this to the compensation structure and you get high turnover. -Mediocre 401k -Bad health insurance

Clean Harbors Response

We are continually evaluating our compensation programs, comparing market rates and reviewing industry data.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Long hours

Apr 22, 2021 - Environmental Chemist in Laurel, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good lower level management, benefits

Cons

Hourly wage was not competitive, you have to fight tooth and nail to get a decent wage/raise. Senior management will use the competency based pay progression system to deny raises. Coworkers in the field and lower level management in the office will usually have your back and are truly a team. Good safety culture, high focus on training and safety. Workers have stop-work authority for non-safe working conditions.

Clean Harbors Response

Thank you for your post.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,101 Reviews