Clever Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Clever Interview Questions

Interviews at Clever

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Clever (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via email. We talked over the phone for 15 mins to learn about my background, then later he set up a technical screen. Straight Forward algorithm question. It was a medium leetcode question that dealt with recursion. The engineer was nice to walk me through the question and give me hints. Overall experience is great.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clever.

Interview

Applied online and got the phone interview. The worst phone interview I’ve ever had. Just asked me about my background. After I told him, he asked me about if I can talk about myself. He yawned when I was speaking. Phone call was 9–10 minutes. Nothing more. Got rejection couple days later.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clever in January 2015.

Interview

Consisted of a chat with their HR guy, a programming interview over Skype, a take-home project, and a call from one of the co-founders. The HR guy and programmer were cool, and they piqued my interest in the company, but the conversation with the co-founder killed my enthusiasm for working there. He cut me off abruptly a couple times, and it seemed like he didn't really understand the gist of my past technical work. Not a bad guy, but the conversation left a bad impression.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clever in February 2015.

Interview

Got a friend in the company who dropped in my resume for me, got contacted by the recruiter right away and scheduled for a phone interview. Recruiter was very nice and interview times were very flexible. The interviewer was late for the phone interview, but was very nice and helpful during the interview. Didn't get to proceed to the next step in the interview for some reason but had a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Super simple coding questions. One was printing out FizzBuzz for numbers from 1 to 100 when you hit multiples of certain numbers. The other was finding sum of all prime members from 1 to 2 million.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clever.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter to discuss about opportunities for internship. Technical phone screen (30 to 45 minutes) through Skype, given one coding challenge using an online coding editor. Interviewer/Engineer was nice and helpful. Rejected for unknown reasons the next day, which is very suspicious because it wasn't a culture misfit or lack of skills.

Interview Questions

• A given coding challenge in the language of your choice.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clever.

Interview

First I applied online. The application has a question that requires a little research and experiments on its open API. I was asked to write a program and report its result in the application. I believe the problem is here to weed out the applicants who are not dedicated enough. A few days later I got a call from a recruiter. We talked about my background and the company, and scheduled a technical screening. The technical screening is a peer programming of me and one of their engineers. The problem is not hard, but some coding details and edge cases might be tricky. We started with building the simple and naive solution, and progressed to improve it, until we found the optimal. The interview went OK and the next round was a take-home coding challenge. I was given a week to do it. The coding challenge asked for code (solution) and a design doc (as detailed as possible). The problem comes with sample data, whose size is really small. Given the small size of the sample data, the problem is relatively easy. However, a question asked me to write about the scalability aspects of my proposed solution -- how my solution would perform when the input data size scaled up. My solution was rejected. The recruiter told me that the engineers said I wasn't using the tool in the right way, even though my solution demonstrated strong correctness.

Interview Questions

• The scalability of a solution that could involve a database (relational, NoSQL, ...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Clever (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The recruiter reached out some months ago and recently I was more open so wrote him back. I had a call with him, then a technical phone screen, then take-home domain-related coding exercise, and finally an on-site. An extra nice touch is their VP Engineering insisted on chatting by phone before the on-site to make sure I had all the necessary context.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Clever.

Interview

After the technical screening, I had a brief call with the CPO. He was rude, and left a very bad impression on the company. Surprised the company has good reviews by employees though -- maybe he was having an off day.

Interview Questions

• A couple basic programming questions over a Skype interview. A take-home problem that took an hour or two to complete.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Clever (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Clever's recruiter got in touch with me, and he gave me an overview about the company, what they do, what the engineering team's structure looks like, and the main areas they are currently working on. We proceeded to schedule a Skype interview with one of the engineers. The Skype interview started with introductions, a live coding exercise using CoderPad, and ended with a brief Q&A about the company. It lasted 45 minutes. I did not get through to the next round but the Skype interview was pleasant and the interviewer sounded like somebody I would want to work with.

Interview Questions

• An algorithm question that involved manipulation and sorting of an array input. (Make sure to brush up on Big O Notation.)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Clever.

Interview

First I had a short, informal call with an engineering manager. She seemed reasonably cheery about the position and my qualifications, but was a little difficult to talk to. I chalked it up to just being a engineer / bad communicator (guilty of it myself in the past).

For some reason, the second interview was also another phone conversation - this time an hour, with someone else. She seemed a little bored or tired. I guess she didn't like how I answered her first question, because she started to get really salty with me. I tried to stay professional and continue with the interview, but she stopped asking me questions after ten minutes. Apparently, ten minutes and two questions was enough for her to decide that I'm not a "fit" for the organization.

When companies feel like they're desirable, the standards on hiring just seem to slowly erode. After all, if there's another candidate every day, why bother being respectful?