Cogo Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cogo Labs Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2017

2.8

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

Sent in my resume, and was scheduled to have a phone interview. A little lag in between scheduling. Wasn't prepared for interviews but they were nice folks. First phone call interview was done over phone and shared coding screen.

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

Question: Does anyone over the age of 30 even have a prayer of getting an interview with this frat-fueled company?

I'm sorry that my relevant resume-- which features a summa cum laude math degree and years of programming experience-- did not live up to the "fresh, barely-out-of-college" hiring standard. Age does not limit talent, or does it?

Interview Questions

• If I HAD been invited for an interview, I would have expected my 20-something recruiting team member to ask things like,

1) "Do you have a customized Snapchat geofilter?" and

2) "How many Twitter followers do you have?"   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Several phone interviews, then one in-person. Helps if you know someone, of course. Process took a long time, mostly because the company was unsure about when I'd be needed (typical of a smaller company I think)

Interview Questions

• Brain-teasers/puzzles/case studies. Just to make sure you can think on your toes.   1 Answer

Sep 5, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thanks for the review. We're very glad to have you here!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application, received an email some time later to set up a phone call, and then quickly set up an in person interview consisting of three hour-long sessions with two interviewers each. The hiring manager was sympathetic for my need to have the process move quickly and I heard back within about two days.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a job, other basic questions like that.   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs in March 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and had a very simple phone screen. Very general questions about past experience/projects/course. The recruiter said she would contact me in the next week but did not receive anything since.
    It was quite disappointing since I came from a top tech school with very strong quantitative background and the recruiter does not seem to understand anything while I explained my projects/experience.

Interview Questions

Cogo Labs Response

Apr 28, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Sorry you had a frustrating experience. We interview many candidates with strong quant backgrounds, and unfortunately we have a limited number of opportunities to offer people. Sounds like you... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I met a Senior analyst who worked at this company who happened to be an alumni of my University. He called me to do a preliminary personality screen, then recommended that a recruiter reach out to me. That recruiter also conducted a personality/stress interview over the phone. About 2 weeks later, I was asked to do an on-site stress interview in which I was interviewed by two analysts regarding my experience and problem solving abilities. The "brain-teaser" question that they asked me was largely based on discrete math, and I had some trouble answering their question with out help. I was never contacted after the interview.

Interview Questions

• You did not major in statistics or computer science, why are you interested in this opportunity?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA) in December 2016.

Interview

Was contacted quickly after submitting my application online for an introductory phone interview. Basic get to know you questions and also hearing about the company - I was told I would hear back by the next week however its been three weeks and still no response.

Interview Questions

Cogo Labs Response

Jan 19, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, we strive to be as communicative and transparent as possible, and make a point of touching base with every candidate to let them know where things stand... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamstown, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Williamstown, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

We exchanged emails for a couple of days, then finally scheduled a Skype call. They asked me a couple of technical questions involving coding a recursion and a simple parsing question, then talked a bit about the work environment. They finally emailed me around 2 months later with the final decision.

Interview Questions

• A simple chess related question involving moving a piece around a board.   Answer Question

Jan 27, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you for the review. It sounds like we dropped the ball a little bit around the holidays with people being out of the office--our goal is to send out updates in a much more timely manner, so I... More

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA).

Interview

Each round of interviews follows the same structure: (1) tell me about yourself and some projects, then (2) complete a brainteaser. The onsite is 3 of these rounds, each with a panel of 2 people. The interviewers are largely very friendly - they make it easy to build to rapport. The brainteasers are challenging, as they should be, but the interviewers walk you through it as long as you build off their comments. You can practice these online (unfortunately, I hadn't had a single other interview ask these so the skill is not widely applicable). What was definitely noticeable and unusual about the Cogo interviews was the amount of junior staff conducting the interviews - it is very typical to have senior staff interview you (Senior Analyst w/ 5-10 years exp, Director of Analytics, VP Product, CTO) even among large firms. This suggests that they have a lot of young talent, but depth and leadership (and therefore direction) may be lacking.

Sep 26, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you for sharing your experience with Cogo! It is true we have a lot of young talent, it's one of the things we pride ourselves on. We do involve VP/C-level staff in interviews, but usually not... More

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

It consisted of two phone interviews and one in person interview. First phone interview was more introductory and about your interest in the company. Second phone interview was more technical. Consisted of questions about projects listed on my resume and a brain teaser.

The in person interview was effectively the second phone interview repeated 3 times. A lot of the brain teasers were pulled straight from a technical interview book (I googled them after). If you are literate with those type of interview guide books you'll breeze through this portion of the interview.

My personal interview went rather smoothly. You'll do fine if you can talk at length about personal projects and don't stress out during the brain teasers. They were really fair in evaluating performance regarding the brain teasers. You just need to show that you can think under pressure.

Honestly, I came out of this interview thinking I wasn't a good fit for this particular position. It looked like the company also felt this way because they didn't extend an offer. If you are specialized / passionate about data science I don't think the analyst is a good position to grow that interest. But if you are a recent STEM graduate looking for a job at a cool company I would definitely apply here.

Interview Questions

• Sharing brain teasers defeats the interview process.   1 Answer

Aug 12, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for this review, we appreciate you taking the time and we're so glad you had a positive experience!