Cogo Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Cogo Labs Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2018

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs in November 2014.

Interview

Spoke to the recruiter at an university career fair, got contacted a few weeks later inviting me for an onsite interview, got called back a week later to speak with an engineering director and received an offer. Both the interviewer and the recruiter were super helpful throughout the whole process. Overall a very positive experience!

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't particularly difficult. Was asked to talk about past internships and personal projects. Be ready to answer questions on technical aspects of internships/projects. Was asked a coding question in the end.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

It is a very basic interview process. I applied and received an email to come in for an interview. When I got to the office on the day of the interview, they first showed me around the office and introduced me to some of the people who worked there. For the interview, I talked to two different people and they first asked about myself, Cogo, and my resume, then I answered a few basic coding questions and did a coding problem on the white board. They were very nice and not very intimidating when it came time for the coding problem. Cogo is a smaller company so it felt important to the interviewers that I fit in with the Cogo personality and that they would enjoy working with me.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to do some simple coding problems on the white board. They wanted me to code a game using basic data structures   2 Answers
    • What is a hash table?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Cogo Labs in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through career fair, got contacted by email to interview on-site. Greeted by recruiter then interviewed by 2 engineers simultaneously. I thought I would be nervous but everyone was really nice and down to just talk instead of getting right into asking technical questions. Seems like a cool place to work with nice people, I just got a better offer from a different company.

Accepted offer from different company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cogo Labs in October 2015.

Interview

i applied at my career fair, and then got an e-mail asking me to come in for an on-site interview. I went to their office a few weeks later and was supposed to be interviewed by two engineers, but one was in a meeting that day and could not make it. There was a 1:1 coding challenge which took 30-40 minutes but I was no table to finish, and then we discussed my resume and the intern position.

Interview Questions

• Signed a non-discolure agreement, but it was about building a small game   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application, received an email some time later to set up a phone call, and then quickly set up an in person interview consisting of three hour-long sessions with two interviewers each. The hiring manager was sympathetic for my need to have the process move quickly and I heard back within about two days.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a job, other basic questions like that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williamstown, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Williamstown, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

We exchanged emails for a couple of days, then finally scheduled a Skype call. They asked me a couple of technical questions involving coding a recursion and a simple parsing question, then talked a bit about the work environment. They finally emailed me around 2 months later with the final decision.

Interview Questions

• A simple chess related question involving moving a piece around a board.   Answer Question

Cogo Labs Response

Jan 27, 2017 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you for the review. It sounds like we dropped the ball a little bit around the holidays with people being out of the office--our goal is to send out updates in a much more timely manner, so I... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

I received a lot of puzzles, which I actually like. I did not receive any coding exercises, which I do not like.

The process was too long and, unfortunately and honestly, a waste of time: they do not seem interested in hiring. Maybe this is a trick "question;" I was supposed to try to push the process along without a recruiter. They said they will let me know next year if they would hire me. This is unprofessional and I do not know what kind of candidates they will choose with these methods.

Interview Questions

• 1)Puzzles: Look up a puzzle book and do a few of these...
      2)Behavioral Interview Questions
      3)Interesting past work experiences and passions
      4)Case Analysis: These are easy: look up a few of these and do them quickly   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process here is excessive and ridiculous... Had 4 rounds of interviews, which included 1 phone screen and 3 on site interviews. Even though I met all the requirements of the job description and did very well in on the on site interviews according to the analysts I met, I was still rejected. Do yourselves a favor and apply to a company that respects theirs employees and don't let them drag you through the mud in the interview process. I highly do not recommend this place to work for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I met a Senior analyst who worked at this company who happened to be an alumni of my University. He called me to do a preliminary personality screen, then recommended that a recruiter reach out to me. That recruiter also conducted a personality/stress interview over the phone. About 2 weeks later, I was asked to do an on-site stress interview in which I was interviewed by two analysts regarding my experience and problem solving abilities. The "brain-teaser" question that they asked me was largely based on discrete math, and I had some trouble answering their question with out help. I was never contacted after the interview.

Interview Questions

• You did not major in statistics or computer science, why are you interested in this opportunity?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

It consisted of two phone interviews and one in person interview. First phone interview was more introductory and about your interest in the company. Second phone interview was more technical. Consisted of questions about projects listed on my resume and a brain teaser.

The in person interview was effectively the second phone interview repeated 3 times. A lot of the brain teasers were pulled straight from a technical interview book (I googled them after). If you are literate with those type of interview guide books you'll breeze through this portion of the interview.

My personal interview went rather smoothly. You'll do fine if you can talk at length about personal projects and don't stress out during the brain teasers. They were really fair in evaluating performance regarding the brain teasers. You just need to show that you can think under pressure.

Honestly, I came out of this interview thinking I wasn't a good fit for this particular position. It looked like the company also felt this way because they didn't extend an offer. If you are specialized / passionate about data science I don't think the analyst is a good position to grow that interest. But if you are a recent STEM graduate looking for a job at a cool company I would definitely apply here.

Interview Questions

• Sharing brain teasers defeats the interview process.   1 Answer

Cogo Labs Response

Aug 12, 2016 – VP, Talent & Culture

Thank you so much for this review, we appreciate you taking the time and we're so glad you had a positive experience!