Cohesity Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Cohesity

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cohesity (New York, NY) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied online and got an email from recruiter to complete a coding challenge. I finished the challenge and I am still waiting to hear about next steps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Cohesity (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Engineering director contacted me through LinkedIn. Called for five round interview after the first in person interview (I requested for in person interview). Most of the interviewers were good. The final round was a horrible experience for me. The interviewer mentioned he is a manager and came with a shadow interviewer. Gave me a question which is similar to meeting reminders in outlook. Asked me to write clear code that could is compilable. Stopped me when I was using a hash library. Not sure why he got so much pissed with that. Could have gently requested me to not to use it if he wants me to avoid it. I mentioned, I will implement the hash library once the algo is written. He didn't like my suggestion and told me to implement the hash algo first and then use it. Somehow managed to do it in the given time. I explained my idea with a heap and a timer kind of solution. He didn't get the idea. Tried to explain, still didn't get it. Told me that it wont work, explained again. Yes, he didn't get it again. The junior shadow interviewer was giggling as he too failed to make the main interviewer understand the logic. I was happy in the end as I know for sure he was not happy and they will not proceed to the offer. I didn't have to work with that kind of guy who was angry during an interview process.

A smile on CEOs face would be helpful (not a necessity though). I saw him through the glass door when I was waiting in the interview room. Smiled, and he didn't return the smile. Gives a very unpleasant feeling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cohesity (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I got a call from HR, followed by a phone interview for coding. Software Engineer asked me a standard coding question. Then I got onsite.

In onsite interview, I was interviewed by four engineers (one hour each). I am very confident that I answered every question right!

It's not about I didnt have relevant experience, I even checked my questions after coming home and each one of them was good. I have a strong feeling that engineers are just trying to get their friends, relatives in instead of doing a fair assessment. I wouldnt say they were rude or anything, but I figured that they would only hire they known people. Good luck to their company.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard sorting, random point linked list question   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cohesity (San Jose, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

One hour phone interview with coding questions. Need to write workable code. In general is fairly smooth process. It's a very good warm-up if you are on the market looking for something.

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cohesity (San Jose, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I got an interview call for the Job title as "Sr. Network Engineer".
    The interviewer called on the scheduled time. After asking few network basic questions. He switched to Linux and storage questions. He started asking a lot of questions on Linux. I told him earlier that my background reflects Core Networking and I rarely worked on Linux or Storage systems. They made the decision on hiring someone who is more proficient on the systems side. Personally, I felt that the Job title is misleading as it should say "Sr. Software Engineer" if they want someone expert in Linux or storage platform. I think this interview was a waste of time for me as I was expecting more questions on the Networking.

Interview Questions

• What Linux platform are you familiar? What are the Linux commands you are familiar? Bunch of 5-6 Linux and Storage network questions.   Answer Question

Cohesity Response

May 29, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

We apologize that you felt your interviewer wasn’t adequately prepared and that you were being interviewed for the wrong skill set. We hope that you consider applying to alternative positions in the... More

Sustaining Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Cohesity (Raleigh, NC) in October 2018.

Interview

After an initial technical phone screen (45 min, one coding exercise at the end) there was a half day on-site interview. This was a mixture of local and remote video interviewers. Logistics were off-putting with several different conference ids used.

Interview Questions

• what is the Linux boot sequence?   Answer Question
    • merge many integers in many files, with various constraints applied for different scenarios.   Answer Question

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cohesity (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

I didnt like all the process from Cohesity they look like a serious company but I think the hiring process need to improve a lot, and they never response.... so I guess I didnt get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Javascript Logic Excercise.... algorithms... and CSS...   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cohesity (San Jose, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn and even though I wasn't looking for a change, I was really impressed with the product, the CEO and also the great reviews. Little did I know that this would turn out to be one of the worst experiences of my life.

At every step, the recruiter spoke as if the job was already mine and the interview steps were a mere formality. Only after speaking to another senior recruiter did I realize that the first recruiter was not depicting an accurate picture. Nonetheless, the initial recruiter was my main point of contact throughout the process. I was given a take home online assessment (finding bugs and fixing them), two phone screens (very basic testing and coding problems) and went onsite to their HQ at San Jose, CA on a Friday (almost a month from when the recruiter had first reached out to me). Met with a bunch of people including the hiring manager, and overall I was decently satisfied with my performance.

A few hours after the interview, a third recruiter reached out to me via text, asking me if this mode of correspondence was okay and said things were looking pretty good. I flew out feeling quite good about the entire experience so far. The next week, I reached out on Monday for feedback and was told to wait a day or two. On Wednesday, the first recruiter reached out to me over phone and said everything was good, I had gotten the job! He wanted to discuss numbers and we had some discussions over phone and text (my naiveté still not apparent to me). On Thursday, we finalized everything and he said he would have an official update for me by early next week.

Early next week, he responded saying the hiring manager was out of town (most probably a lie) and he would have news by end of the week or the next week. Things were starting to look fishy but I was optimistic since Cohesity had such great reviews and I didn't expect a recruiter to string me along for his own benefit.

On Friday, I got a text message saying things weren't looking so good with a sad emoji from said recruiter. He called after a while saying they had found another candidate with more experience and skills for the role. Which in itself is absolutely fine, but calling a candidate saying the job is his, discussing salary, possibly lying about the hiring manager being out of town etc is not okay! Had they simply said that they were interviewing other candidates and would let me know in a few weeks, this entire bitter ordeal could have been prevented.

Anybody who interviews with them should absolutely not communicate informally with recruiters, because from my experience here, they are not transparent or honest with you and will lead you on falsely.

I'm sure Cohesity is a great company and will continue to grow at a tremendous pace, but this experience has left me with a terrible impression of the company, its people, its ethics and I will probably not consider this company in the future because of a single recruiter who had no integrity and decided to treat a candidate without any respect.

Interview Questions

• A programming involving hashset, 2 questions where I had to list out test scenarios, one more question involving how to improve API's that are over and under used.   5 Answers

Interview

Online Test.
    Scenario
    You are part of the Spam Prevention Team for a microblogging service. You noticed that many accounts only retweet other tweets, instead of creating original content. These accounts usually belong to spammers, and your task is to build a program that detects them.

You have access to platform's activity log (available at /home/candidate/candidate_files/java/inputs). The structure of the activity log is described in /home/candidate/candidate_files/java/log_structure.txt.

We consider a user to be a spammer if he satisfies all the following criteria:

The user has no original tweets.
    The user has at least one retweet.
    All the retweets of this user occur within 1000 milliseconds of the original tweet.
    Task
    Write the function identify_spammers that accepts the absolute path of the activity logfile, and returns a list of all the spammer usernames. For example,

"pkoch",
        "MagnusCarlsen",
        ...
    ]

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cohesity (San Jose, CA).

Interview

First phone interview and then onsite interview. Cohesity has a pathetic interview process. It has been more than 30 days since my second interview but I haven't yet heard back. I followed up twice but the recruiter never replied which I feel is super unprofessional. The first interview was scheduled with the recruiter as a phone interview. I was bought in onsite after couple of days. Their onsite interview was a mess, not at all organized and none of the interviewers were on time, very poorly managed and as a matter of fact I felt there wasn't anybody who manages the interview process. Interview with the engineering team member felt like interrogation and the interview with the senior recruiter felt like she isn't interested in interviewing. Bottom line it was unplesant. Cohesity really needs to work on candidate experience if they need to make the hires they want.

Interview Questions

Cohesity Response

May 29, 2018 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for providing feedback - we apologize that you had a negative experience interviewing and that you felt it unpleasant. Please know that we are doing everything we can to understand what... More