Columbia Sportswear Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Niagara Falls, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Very casual meeting with the store manager. The interview was for the new store that hadn't opened yet at the time. I was asked a few interview questions. The manager was very straightforward and let me know right away the result of the interview. I filled out all the paperwork on the spot and was pretty much hired then.

Interview Questions

• - Describe the typical customer you think shops at Columbia;
      - Do you take part in any sports/outdoor activities;
      - Describe a situation where you received excellent customer service;
      Availability questions   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Asked openend questions about my pass jobs. It was in front the store manager only. The interview did not feel script. I fell at ease and it was about an hour long

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time you took care of an angry customer and or employee
      What would you do if you see an employee stilling   Answer Question

Associate Technical Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear in September 2014.

Interview

I was called only a day after applying online for the position to set up a time to interview at their corporate office. The interview was pretty informal with a panel of three interviewers. They introduced themselves and what their role with the company was as well as explained how their division worked in detail. They asked pretty common questions like how would you prioritize your time when working on multiple projects at once. They made clear that this position was very group oriented and you would have to easily work well with others and be a team player.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

An internal recruiter got in touch with me, and I had a phone screen with the recruiter. The recruiter seemed to think my experience was a good fit, was very engaging and excited, and put me in touch with the hiring manager.

The conversation I had with the hiring manager is the reason I am writing this review.

The hiring manager I spoke to not only seemed to treat our conversation (another simple phone screen) as an inconvenience and a waste of time, they put forth no effort to actually understand my background or experience. I was basically thrown a gamut of questions in the form of "Have you used ___ before?" and when I would say - not that in particular, but I have used [similar tool], the hiring manager simply responded each time with a gruff, "I've never heard of that."

Overall I found the conversation (if you can call it that extremely unpleasant). Rather than ask any of the questions I had prepared - I simply told the hiring manager I had no further questions so I could get off the phone. Definitely not someone I'd want to work for.

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear in July 2016.

Interview

The day after I applied, I received a phone interview conducted by the assistant manager. These were definitely just screening type questions and were very easy. Following that, I was offered an interview in the store a few days later. I had two different 1 on 1 interviews that day. The first was with the assistant manager, who asked me roughly 10 questions that all began with "Tell me about a time." After that, the store manager switched positions with the assistant manager and asked me questions about why I was interested in the company and my availability. Both the managers were pretty laid back and very friendly. I was told to fill out a background check, and received a phone call two days later offering me the job!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you met a new coworker or friend   Answer Question
    • There are a lot of other stores in the area, what set Columbia apart for you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in a group where everyone wasn't pulling their weight   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what range I'd like to see for salary, but beyond that, no negotiation.

Stock Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Orlando, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

Interview was conducted in a tiny filthy manager's office. To be honest, discrimination takes place all the time behind closed doors. They already know who will get what job even before the interviews begin...I witnessed this with my own 2 eyes.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in July 2017.

Interview

It was really a technical phone screen, but once I stumbled on a CSS question they quickly ended the call before I could ask any questions. I get that they may get a lot of yahoos applying but I definitely felt they didn't fully consider what I could offer. Ridiculous questions like "how would you rate your skill in XYZ on a scale of 1-10?" It's like if you think you're a 10 you obviously don't know that much... as you become more expert you'd realize you're not a 10... but then if you say 9 it sounds like you don't know all that much. Since when did programming skills become a commodity?

Interview Questions

• How would you rate your CSS abilities on a scale of 1-10?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

Easy phone interview. I do know that they google you so make sure you behave online. They made me feel comfortable as though I was chatting with a friend to answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• How much do you support the brand.   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in December 2008.

Interview

My job was actually temp when I applied with almost complete certainty that it would become full time, which it did 3 months later.
    Got called and quickly went over my background. Got called in for interviews... same day, two people (small dept, only two people I'd be working with). The interview was very laid back. Neither people in the dept liked "tell me about a time" questions, so I didn't have to answer those, thank goodness! Basically ran down my resume and dove into my experience and what I would be doing in the position.

Interview Questions

• It's been a while, but I think maybe it was being told that I would possibly be desirable in different departments and if I would be interested in moving to other areas. Felt like a trick question.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a hourly rate that I couldn't do. Gave them what I wanted. They counter-offered with just barely over what I was making in a different position at a different company at the time. Took it though since I really wanted to get out of the position I was in.

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Friendly staff, very relaxed and they do try to know you as a person. There's an interview invitation letter for discount of their products, the HQ entrance is a little hard to find, I got in from another entrance and asked the first person I met to get to the HR office.

Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

Extremely unorganized. Little to no communication throughout the process, which is several weeks long. Recruiters make no effort to respond or answer questions along the way, despite mentioning that they are happy to do so. Very unimpressed.