Columbia Sportswear Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia Sportswear Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

2.4

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

I applied online they called me for a phone interview then asked couple of questions then got called for a interview with hiring manager then the store manager so 3 interviews in total

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Beaverton, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

I had applied for Sr.business analyst position, The entire interview process was good and professional.
    The interview process lasted approximately 4 weeks from HR Screening, Hiring Manager and Panel Interview.
    And Finally the decision was conveyed over call.

Interview Questions

• 1.Functional Questions on the Application   1 Answer

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Friendly staff, very relaxed and they do try to know you as a person. There's an interview invitation letter for discount of their products, the HQ entrance is a little hard to find, I got in from another entrance and asked the first person I met to get to the HR office.

Inboun Specilst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR).

Interview

Adding subtracting general knowledge. General interview questions. Tell us about yourself etc. Do you see yourself working here for more than a year? It was through Kelly Services which really was a simple and easy interview. Very flexible with interview times and always hiring.

Master Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

I was approached via email by the recruiter who scheduled a phone screening interview. After the phone screening, I was then put in touch with the hiring manager who conduced an hour-long phone interview. About a week later, I was issued an offer without ever meeting face-to-face. Pretty simple and efficient interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had multiple competing priorities and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Interactive Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

A 30 minute phone interview with the Recruiter. Was invited for an in-person interview the following week. Was told the pay range was in the upper 60's. They rescheduled my interview once due to a scheduling conflict with the manager. Interview included two separate 45 minute interviews with 4 total members (2 in each meeting) from the e-commerce team. Great people that spoke very highly of Columbia. Left feeling very excited and confident. I showed my work, talked about my experiences, and what I was looking for. The team seemed to appreciate the work I showed.

It's also worth noting there are now two campuses. The one I interviewed at was not a part of the main (older) campus.

Interviewed on a Friday, sent an appreciation email to both the recruiter and hiring manager that weekend. 12 days after my interview I received an email from the recruiter informing me they went with another candidate. From start to finish, this was 20 days after the original job was posted.

While the interview and employees were great, the post interview process left a bad taste in my mouth. The result of having radio silence for 12 days after I sent thank you emails to two people involved in the process. Would highly recommend Columbia (as well as anyone else really) take the small extra effort to send a simple response to those that give them their time/rearrange their schedules. I know many companies out there do not always do this, but as a customer of Columbia myself, I believe all interactions on behalf of their company can influence an individual’s likelihood of purchasing their product, including customers that interview for jobs. It shows that you appreciate their time and will encourage them to apply for future positions should they do so.

I've interviewed for two positions now at Columbia. The first one I left feeling like the hiring manager had already made up their mind before I even stepped foot in the office. Through his questioning it felt as though he was saying ‘this isn’t for you’, despite my experience and not really knowing what I wanted.

One thing that is pretty cool is they give you an employee store pass when you interview (via email). However I realized after the fact that mine expired the day after my interview.

After my two interview experiences, I can't say whether I will be applying here in the future. At the start of the process I felt like Columbia would be a great place to be, however now I feel undecided.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about our website?   1 Answer

Floor Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

First I applied online and with in the the day I received a call back to schedule and in person interview. The interview was with 2 Store managers. In an office.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time that you had to handle a difficult situation involving another employee?   Answer Question

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear in July 2016.

Interview

The day after I applied, I received a phone interview conducted by the assistant manager. These were definitely just screening type questions and were very easy. Following that, I was offered an interview in the store a few days later. I had two different 1 on 1 interviews that day. The first was with the assistant manager, who asked me roughly 10 questions that all began with "Tell me about a time." After that, the store manager switched positions with the assistant manager and asked me questions about why I was interested in the company and my availability. Both the managers were pretty laid back and very friendly. I was told to fill out a background check, and received a phone call two days later offering me the job!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you met a new coworker or friend   Answer Question
    • There are a lot of other stores in the area, what set Columbia apart for you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to work in a group where everyone wasn't pulling their weight   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was asked what range I'd like to see for salary, but beyond that, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR).

Interview

Very kind and open people. The recruiting staff was very nice to deal with. The peer person I interviewed with was kind and energetic at the same time. The manager I interviewed with was nice, approachable and inquisitive. They set aside the resume and actually talked to me about myself, my family, my goals and my experience. There was eye contact, jokes & really nice banter. I would highly recommend that if you get the opportunity to interview for a position at Columbia, do it. Do it for yourself because the Company is really about the people and what they can do to enhance themselves with your help. They have some real talent running the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your great company for ours?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Several talks, interviews, phone interview, offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

An internal recruiter got in touch with me, and I had a phone screen with the recruiter. The recruiter seemed to think my experience was a good fit, was very engaging and excited, and put me in touch with the hiring manager.

The conversation I had with the hiring manager is the reason I am writing this review.

The hiring manager I spoke to not only seemed to treat our conversation (another simple phone screen) as an inconvenience and a waste of time, they put forth no effort to actually understand my background or experience. I was basically thrown a gamut of questions in the form of "Have you used ___ before?" and when I would say - not that in particular, but I have used [similar tool], the hiring manager simply responded each time with a gruff, "I've never heard of that."

Overall I found the conversation (if you can call it that extremely unpleasant). Rather than ask any of the questions I had prepared - I simply told the hiring manager I had no further questions so I could get off the phone. Definitely not someone I'd want to work for.