Columbia Sportswear Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Niagara Falls, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Very casual meeting with the store manager. The interview was for the new store that hadn't opened yet at the time. I was asked a few interview questions. The manager was very straightforward and let me know right away the result of the interview. I filled out all the paperwork on the spot and was pretty much hired then.

Interview Questions

• - Describe the typical customer you think shops at Columbia;
      - Do you take part in any sports/outdoor activities;
      - Describe a situation where you received excellent customer service;
      Availability questions   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sevierville, TN

Application

I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Sevierville, TN) in October 2017.

Interview

I e never had a interview before I’ve only interview I’ve ever had is actually training for the job or I had like one little interviews like sessions in school for my work transition class

Interview Questions

• How can I put in a Application because I really want this job   Answer Question

Senior ECommerce Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Beaverton, OR) in April 2017.

Interview

Columbia Sportswear squandered my time & cruelly dashed my hopes. Never again would I consider working with this company under any circumstances nor would I purchase anything from it. The process thoroughly killed my interest & belief in Columbia. The HR gal could never get her calendar right as to when our phone screen was supposed to take place. At the appointed hour, I waited for a call that never came; then days later she called when I told her I would be unavailable. On her 3rd or 4th try, we were in sync. We chatted for a half-hour and her manner was pleasant. By the end of the call Monday, she arranged a 1-on-1 in person meeting Wed. with the hiring manager & me. I had 3 interviews in 1 week. The hiring manager & I had a smooth-as-silk chat for an hour in a conference room. She seemed not at all like a typical corporate peon, more like someone's eccentric aunt, refreshingly real. (How wrong that impression turned out to be!) We went through my portfolio, and she pointedly asked me if -- after having been a freelancer for several years -- I was ready to return to corporate life. Shy of citing my desire to escape from the cycle of dire poverty freelancing invariably leads to, I assured her yes. It turns out the incumbent, after a mere 7 months on the job, was quitting to go freelance, so the HM wanted to be doubly sure not to hire the same mistake twice. I conveyed my sincerity about wanting to go corporate as much as I could without seeming needy. She asked me to return the next day to meet 2 of her senior-level colleagues, and here it MUST be mentioned that Columbia isn't easy to get to for someone taking public transit. It's in a horrible location in outer Beaverton, far from the MAX, on a bus route that comes maybe once an hour. There is NO company shuttle for employees or visitors. Yet, gung-ho, I came back the very next day for the 3rd interview. It was, through no fault of mine of my own, a fiasco. One panelist was nearly as silent as a bump on a log; the other, eager to take the spotlight, asked me ONE and only one question that pertained to editorial specifics and the rest of the 45 minutes was taken up by his egomania. He asked pointless hypotheticals that even he -- by his own admittance -- could not answer. "There's no right or wrong response," he said, "I'm only data-mining you for my next meeting with the sales team." In between the 2nd & 3rd interviews, the hiring manager sent me a writing exercise to test my approach to the 3 brand voices I would be writing in. As we walked into the final meeting together, she told me how much she'd liked what I'd written. During the panel, she told the others how well I'd mastered the distinctions between Columbia, Sorel, and Mountain Hardwear. LATER A CURIOUS THING HAPPENED. I received an email from her stating she hadn't received my writing exercise; could I please send it before the deadline? So she had lied to me and to her colleagues! Why say it was great if she hadn't read it?? The manager destroyed her credibility. Ultimately, what was so offensive about the outmoded, unproductive process that led to me being rejected was this: the incumbent I would have replaced (I looked up her portfolio & LI profile) had NO prior experience in writing about apparel/fashion/sporty gear before Columbia hired her PLUS she was recruited from another state. I do have relevant brand experience in my portfolio and I'm local, yet I was dumped on b/c of my freelance background. The incumbent was quitting to be a freelancer, and I wasn't a corporate nonentity -- in essence, Columbia dissed me for trying to leave behind what she was embracing. I was held to a much higher standard than someone else who sailed through. The hiring manager also told her colleagues that my cover letter was one of the best cover letters she'd ever read -- and passed a copy of it around the table. Yet this was pure theatre -- the quality of my writing -- of anyone's writing -- didn't actually matter to these people at all. If one looks at Columbia's product descriptions, they are riddled with misplaced modifiers among other grammatical mistakes. The deciding factor, it seems clear, was womb-to-tomb orthodoxy, mavericks need not apply. We'll never know what my word magic would have accomplished for Columbia's bottom line, because of the play-it-safe myopia of the insecure corporatists calling the shots. I felt hurt and betrayed and I still do. They loved my work, but they would rather play games than hire me. If Columbia were as progressive as it pretends to be, they would have taken me, along with my competitors, on for a trial 2-or-3-week run, in order to find out first-hand who can REALLY DELIVER in business and who's merely an over-rehearsed interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Are you SURE you're ready to give up freelancing to return to corporate life???   Answer Question

Columbia Sportswear Response

Jun 5, 2017 – Mgr, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for raising your concerns. Our intent is to always provide a positive candidate experience. Your feedback will help us to review current processes for improvement.

Store Inventory Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear in March 2017.

Interview

All of my interviews were on the phone as I was in a different state. Almost one month after applying, I was contacted for a first phone interview with HR, then a week later had a 2nd phone interview with the hiring managers. The first interview with HR was pretty casual, asking about my background and where I was now in my job search, we talked a little about Columbia company history and work environment. The 2nd interview with hiring managers was much more Q & A directly related to the job description and my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• What kind of KPI's did you use to analyze store performance?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

I applied online they called me for a phone interview then asked couple of questions then got called for a interview with hiring manager then the store manager so 3 interviews in total

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Beaverton, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

I had applied for Sr.business analyst position, The entire interview process was good and professional.
    The interview process lasted approximately 4 weeks from HR Screening, Hiring Manager and Panel Interview.
    And Finally the decision was conveyed over call.

Interview Questions

• 1.Functional Questions on the Application   1 Answer

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

Friendly staff, very relaxed and they do try to know you as a person. There's an interview invitation letter for discount of their products, the HQ entrance is a little hard to find, I got in from another entrance and asked the first person I met to get to the HR office.

Inboun Specilst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR).

Interview

Adding subtracting general knowledge. General interview questions. Tell us about yourself etc. Do you see yourself working here for more than a year? It was through Kelly Services which really was a simple and easy interview. Very flexible with interview times and always hiring.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear.

Interview

I was approached via email by the recruiter who scheduled a phone screening interview. After the phone screening, I was then put in touch with the hiring manager who conduced an hour-long phone interview. About a week later, I was issued an offer without ever meeting face-to-face. Pretty simple and efficient interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had multiple competing priorities and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Interactive Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

A 30 minute phone interview with the Recruiter. Was invited for an in-person interview the following week. Was told the pay range was in the upper 60's. They rescheduled my interview once due to a scheduling conflict with the manager. Interview included two separate 45 minute interviews with 4 total members (2 in each meeting) from the e-commerce team. Great people that spoke very highly of Columbia. Left feeling very excited and confident. I showed my work, talked about my experiences, and what I was looking for. The team seemed to appreciate the work I showed.

It's also worth noting there are now two campuses. The one I interviewed at was not a part of the main (older) campus.

Interviewed on a Friday, sent an appreciation email to both the recruiter and hiring manager that weekend. 12 days after my interview I received an email from the recruiter informing me they went with another candidate. From start to finish, this was 20 days after the original job was posted.

While the interview and employees were great, the post interview process left a bad taste in my mouth. The result of having radio silence for 12 days after I sent thank you emails to two people involved in the process. Would highly recommend Columbia (as well as anyone else really) take the small extra effort to send a simple response to those that give them their time/rearrange their schedules. I know many companies out there do not always do this, but as a customer of Columbia myself, I believe all interactions on behalf of their company can influence an individual’s likelihood of purchasing their product, including customers that interview for jobs. It shows that you appreciate their time and will encourage them to apply for future positions should they do so.

I've interviewed for two positions now at Columbia. The first one I left feeling like the hiring manager had already made up their mind before I even stepped foot in the office. Through his questioning it felt as though he was saying ‘this isn’t for you’, despite my experience and not really knowing what I wanted.

One thing that is pretty cool is they give you an employee store pass when you interview (via email). However I realized after the fact that mine expired the day after my interview.

After my two interview experiences, I can't say whether I will be applying here in the future. At the start of the process I felt like Columbia would be a great place to be, however now I feel undecided.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about our website?   1 Answer

Floor Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Columbia Sportswear (Orlando, FL) in September 2016.

Interview

First I applied online and with in the the day I received a call back to schedule and in person interview. The interview was with 2 Store managers. In an office.

Interview Questions

• Tell us of a time that you had to handle a difficult situation involving another employee?   Answer Question