Complete Genomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Complete Genomics Interview Questions

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics.

Interview

The interview seemed to be fairly different, depending on which department you were applying for an internship in. For the most part, my questions were behavioral. I would imagine that for roles that necessitated working in labs, they asked more technical questions.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

First I had a 30 minute phone interview with the associate principal scientist. The phone interview mainly consisted of the scientist explaining the job duties followed by resume questions and lab technique questions. I was than invited for an in person group interview. I was interviewed by four individuals with varying positions in the company for 15 minutes to 30 minutes each. The questions were very technical so come prepared! For example how do you set up PCR, what reagents do you use? How do you perform flow cytometery or immunophenotyping.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Complete Genomics in May 2016.

Interview

Weeks after applying to this position I heard back from a bioinformatics researcher via e-mail and he sent me a link where I could resubmit my resume. Months later I got a call about a phone interview and I went ahead and scheduled one. My interviewer called me half an hour earlier than expected. He asked me a logical puzzle, why I'm interested in the company, and about my experience with Python. When I asked him about company culture and what I would be able to take away from the position he wasn't very helpful. I haven't heard back since.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Apparently role has been open for months. Mentioned no vendor support for their hardware. Checked in with automated system, was given coffee. 3 engineers and HR at the end.

Questions were based on each interviewer reading over my resume and asking me to speak to my experience on each subject.

Interview Questions

• There were no specific questions, it was all based on my resume   1 Answer

Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial email contact by hiring manager (Not HR/Recruiter)
    Phone interview with hiring manager
    In person interview with HR and 2 hiring managers
    1.5 weeks to get offer
    Total process took about 3 weeks.

Interview questions: Extreme technical and knowledge base (Not your typical strength and weakness kind of questions). I basically explain every laboratory procedures I have ever done.

Interview Questions

• Technical stuff: know your basic biology, chemistry procedure, especially PCR   Answer Question

Lab Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The hiring manager contacted me via email 20 days after I had applied online. He scheduled a time for 30 min phone screening and called exactly on time as decided. I got a phone call and was first introduced in detail about the project they were hiring for.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions covered every detail aspect of my resume including my qualifications, work experience and every project. Many technical questions related to the skill set were asked.   Answer Question

Senior Scientist/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Headhunter led to phone interview with Dept VP, then informal on-site lasting about 90 minutes with VP and a director. . Then to 3/4 day meeting half of department, then another half day meeting a few more people. Most people were scientist/engineer types who had read the resume, but mostly just jumped to talking details about past work, project challenges, or places we might have worked in common. The department heads put a bit more into asking some of the routine 'will you stick your head in a noose' boilerplate questions that you politely sidestep, and then chatted a bit on the challenges of the company and whether not having a biology background would hurt if you're not doing biology. (not really). Pretty well run in terms of stuff staying on schedule, HR getting directions to the building to me ahead of time, and the other standard stuff.

Interview Questions

• how would you diagnose a hardware system that was having excessive signal to noise problems from a camera that measures fluorescent signals?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate on salary. It will be *very* useful to ask ahead of time what the Radford survey equivalent is for the job you are looking for, and then research that title on something like Salary.com. Being able to say 'that title earns about $NNN K per year in Mountain View in medium sized Biotech with my level of experience' is a good non-confrontational way to counter the first offer. You may be able to get a signing bonus is you're leaving some other place with pending rewards you'll forego.

Software Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone interview then in person interview at the HQ in Palo Alto. had interview with each person in the team for 40 minutes each. nothing much to brainstorm. but more of explanation of what you did, and some random technical questions to see if you are as skilled as stated on resume.

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Complete Genomics (Mountain View, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I had a great experience interviewing for the lab assistant position. Although it was two and a half hours in length I actually preferred the format since it allowed me to have 5 different one-on-one interviews as opposed to a panel interview. The interviewers were all very welcoming and friendly. They asked questions that were relevant to the position and were straightforward.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Complete Genomics in September 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very relaxed and I liked they way they made me feel very comfortable. There were 5 interviewers in-total and only two of them asked direct database questions. The others asked general questions about storage and windows clustering.