Conservation International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Conservation International Interview Questions

Interviews at Conservation International

Associate Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Conservation International in July 2008.

Interview

Applied for job and got an email back requesting a phone interview. We had the standard questions - why are you interested in this job, your work experience, etc.. This phone interview was only with one person - the coordinator of the team that I would be working with. That was successful and they asked me in for a second, in person panel interview, which consisted of the core members of the team. Pretty relaxed - it seemed like the second interview was mostly for finding out about my personality, interacting with me in person, and seeing my body language in addition to my answers for the interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in conservation (my experience did not show any conservation interests or background)?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate for a minimally higher salary but I shot myself in the foot because I made it very clear that I was going to be taking this job even if they did not increase the salary. Also only had one round of negotiations - felt like I could have negotiated harder. Negotiations also probably depend on the time of year - if it's early or late in the fiscal year (June), then you can probably negotiate better because they're either developing the budget or they have a full pot to work from.

Special Events Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

I had two interviews - one phone, and one in person. I was very pleased with how quickly they moved along - my in-person was within 2 weeks of my phone interview. Interview questions were very standard, nothing that I could not answer. Ultimately I did not get the job, but the person I interviewed with thanked me personally for coming in.

Interview Questions

• Asked why I wanted to work with CI - this is difficult, because I think they are looking for some passion-inspired, overarching answer to why someone would want to work for a nonprofit, specifically theirs.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

We initially had a 30 min phone interview, the team members I spoke for were extremely friendly. At the end of the call they informed me that I was not qualified for that position, but they would put me in contact with a different scientist that was hiring for someone with my qualifications. Within two weeks I had skyped with the director and the hiring process had begun.

Interview Questions

• Technical experience?
      Why I wanted to work for their organization?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Online application, phone interview with internship supervisor, skype interview with internship supervisor. Simple process with people who I was going to be working with so specific and technical questions were asked.

Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

CI has a tough hiring process. I felt the interview was thorough and fair. But I will never pursue another opportunity with them. Why? Even though I didn't get the job, I think it's only fair that they get back to me and tell me. They never even wrote a 1-line email. I find that hurtful and frankly unprofessional.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Submitted resume online, got called by hr, then a phone interview was setup, and after that a person interview was setup. After all paper work was submitted I got the job.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Phone, Video and in person interviews with mostly behavioral questions. I interviewed with about 5 people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was some back and forth but not a lot of play in the offer. I think I went up $4,000

GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Conservation International (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Basic questions on why I want to work for CI, what is my GIS background, background on environment. Said they would contact me for next steps, as the person in charge of selecting was out of country. Had to contact the organization and they told me they selected someone else.

They could have sent an email or phone call to state they chose someone, especially when they said that they would reach out with their decision either way.

Interview Questions

• Had a book with maps in it, was asked to describe what I saw   Answer Question

Writer/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International (Arlington, VA).

Interview

I had an initial phone call, after which I was invited to come into the office. I was asked essentially the same questions, but the interviewer was very busy and it showed through some minor cussing on his part. It was frustrating because I didn't feel like I could actually showcase myself well or develop a connection. I then interviewed with a separate employee in-person as well as an employee who video chatted in. They were enjoyable and pleasant. They asked me a question that they called silly and without a good answer -- what is my favorite part of speech -- but then actually seemed impressed with my answer (and said so). This was followed by a writing test. About two weeks later, I received an email stating that I had not received the position. Upon further questioning, I was told that "someone with your experience and trajectory might quickly outgrow the confines of the position." That was very frustrating and, frankly, not a great rationale in my mind. But overall, the process was fine. It wasn't exceptionally bad or good. Just frustrating.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Conservation International.

Interview

Short phone interview to make sure you're a real person and you know what the organization does. Then, an in person interview with a couple of people on the team you will be working with. After that they screen references, ask for a writing sample and then you wait! One very important thing. If you get offered the job remember to ALWAYS ask for a higher salary offer. No matter what your circumstances are, even if you don't have previous experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us, what do you know about Conservation International? About the team your're applying to be apart of?   1 Answer
    • How do your previous responsibilities relate to this position   Answer Question
    • Three strengths you have that would help you do this position well?   Answer Question