Consumer Reports Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Consumer Reports Interview Questions

2.5

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

After meeting for three hours with HR and members of the editorial staff, the HR person told me she'd get back to me the following Wednesday, which she did, to tell me they chose another candidate. This might have been because they picked up on the fact that halfway through the interview I knew the place wasn't for me. Everyone was perfectly friendly and intelligent but the impression I got from them, coupled with my reading of the magazine, is of a once great but stodgy brand that missed the on ramp to the digital superhighway and is struggling to recapture its relevance....not easy to do when they compete with so many free review websites and specialty magazines. Nobody I spoke with seemed to have a clear idea how of this could be done. Consumer Reports' mission as an unbiased consumer advocate is an admirable one, but the digital age seems to have left them adrift. Astonishingly, one of the interviewers explained the negative Glassdoor reviews (he brought up Glassdoor - I didn't) as a reaction to change by people who have been doing things a certain way for too long. I think there's more to the story than that. When I asked him how CR planned to make up for declining print revenues, he said CR hopes consumers will buy into its mission with charitable donations, like they do with NPR and PBS. Passing the hat around doesn't sound like a viable business model to me, so I was happy to give CR a miss.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an article you worked on that made you proud.   Answer Question

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Awful. Worst "interview" experience I've ever had - if you could call it that. As they say, "where there's smoke, there's fire" -- there's a reason for the negative reviews on this site.

HR and the team weren't on the same page. I was called in with some level of urgency to interview for what I was told was an open position (though was never given a job description -- a major red flag, in retrospect). Even once I was there, HR described this "open" position (in fact, said there were two!) but told me that the description hadn't been written up yet. Then I met with the team in question and learned there was in fact NO open position and that they didn't know when/if there would be one -- it hinged upon whether some employees would accept a buyout offer.

I left completely bewildered -- why was I called up with some urgency to come to the office to interview for a position that wasn't open? Well, I guess I'll never know. Despite 2 emails to HR, I never heard back about it.

It was a complete waste of my time, not to mention my money, to go to the office for a position that didn't exist. I generally try to give organizations the benefit of the doubt, but the negative reviews on this site (which I broached with the people I met with that day) are spot-on in my experience. It's disorganized and lacking a coherent vision for the future direction of the company. What's more, I don't appreciate when companies act with such blatant disregard for the time of prospective employees -- to me, that's indicative of how they'll treat you once hired.

If you're offered an opportunity to come in for an interview, make sure it's for an actual position and be aware of the time / money it will take to get there (about $40 roundtrip from the city).

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY).

Interview

Met with HR and potential boss. It was a very comfortable and laid back process. I really liked the person I interviewed with and think it could have been a good fit. I have no concerns with the interview process. It would be nice if they gave a few free mags though.

Interview Questions

The job is not easily accessible to people who live in NYC. It is drivable if you live in a nearby town. The area is off a major highway but it's around nothing. So forget Starbucks or strolls on your lunch break.

Health Policy & Consumer Advocacy Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Washington, DC) in October 2014.

Interview

3 interviews. one over the phone interview where they asked most of the questions, followed by an in person interview with the same people and lastly an interview with the head of the department. The staff is really friendly and welcoming and you can tell that they have looked at your resume before and they will encourage you to elaborate on those experiences.

Senior Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Yonkers, NY).

Interview

Applied online and received a call-back with-in a week. I had one afternoon of interviews with 3-4 people (1 HR, 1 Manager, 2 Project Leaders). Questions were typically about my interpretation of project results, my ability to diagnose errors, and some personal interest questions. I was offered the position a week later.

Interview Questions

• A project leader asked me to explain my interpretation of a test procedure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not negotiation phase.

Laboratory Technician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Consumer Reports in August 2013.

Interview

Excessively lengthy process. I submitted my application and was contacted about a month later for an interview. After that interview (exclusively with HR) they told me they would contact me again if they were interested. Two and a half months later I got another call asking to come in. I interviewed with many staff members, about five in total. Everyone asked pretty basic questions. I specifically asked at the end of the interview if I would be contacted regardless of whether or not I get the job and I was told "Yes, Definitely!" However, about a year and multiple emails to HR later I still haven't gotten so much as an automated rejection email. They seemed like a really great company, but the fact that they are so disorganized and unprofessional to interviewees really rubbed me the wrong way.

IT Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Consumer Reports.

Interview

I apply online on a career portal. I get an email asking for a phone interview. We have one phone interview and a skype interview. I get the job about a week later.

Interview Questions

• Why did I apply (I don't remember applying, I applied to so many places on the same day)   Answer Question

Student Assistant - Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Consumer Reports (Austin, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

Office manager called me to confirm the interview date and location. Then during the interview day, I filled out some application forms and the formal interview started. Three people interviewed me - one is the person that I closely worked with, one is campaign specialist, another is a senior activist.