Contra Costa County - California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 8, 2017

2.9

Mental Health Clinician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview was average. Asked 11 questions
    about specific behavioral questions, and case scenarios. Have you 5150 anyone? How can you assess for suicide? How did you deal with difficult client?

Clerk Experienced Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

1. Application-> 2. Application Assessment > 3. Application Acceptance-> 4. Clerical Exam-> 5. Conviction Questionnaire-> 6. Placed on Eligible List->7. Interview->8. 2nd Interview

I applied in May 2017, I took the exam Late June, I turned in the conviction questionnaire July 13th, was placed on eligible list July 18th. First interview was in August.

Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

First you take a Test. If you pass then on list shared with all departments. Interviews with other depots vary. Often panel interviews required which can be easy or hard..

Public Health Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied in May, and I recieved an email stating that I am eligible which include my ranking number, after a few days later. Then, I received another email after a week stating to call the number to schedule an appointment to interview. The job opening was for a new program hiring 30 nurses. There were three hiring managers who interviewed me. It doesn't seem like they knew what they were doing, and they were not personable people. They wanted me to start talking right after they provided the job description . It was very awkward. After the interview, they didn't even provide me their contact number. After a week or so, I followed up, using the number they provided to set up the appointment because I had no idea who to contact. Well, they didn't bother to let me know that I didn't get the job. Then, I received another notification to call the office to schedule another interview in a established program for case management position. The same process as the first, but this time, I had 2 managers who interviewed me. They were easy going and nice. They were transparent about everything such as letting me know that the county aweful benefits ,limited promotion and no room to move up . They don't even reimburse for education. On top of that, their continuation education sounds like they are lacking. Even after that, I wanted to work there even I had this awful feeling inside me. Anyhow, they told me the hiring process will be long, like 3 months, and to have patience. At that moment, I thought maybe I have a chance. I followed with an email with the nursing manager. It took 1 month to received a rejection letter. The worst part is that the rejection letter didn't come from the nursing manager.

Interview Questions

• What is the one thing that we should take away from this interview?   Answer Question

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

Standard nurse interview. No scenario or hard hitting questions. They are just desperate for people. Charge nurse didn't even ask much. I had more questions for them than they had of me.

Personnel Services Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA).

Interview

I applied in mid-May 2016 and the deadline was May 31, 2016. The deadline was then extended by another month. Finally, I was invited a week later to attend an oral board interview on July 10, 2016. Upon arrival, I was provided a list of all interviewers present and you're asked if you know anyone on the list. This is to prevent a conflict of interest. They hand you a sheet that describes the process, including the fact that the folks interviewing you haven't seen your resume or application. I was called in and met one woman from the City of Oakland and one from Sacramento County. They asked me a series of questions related to the qualifications and education I have. The interview is tape recorded. Based on this interview, you are placed on a list, in order based on the score you received from the interviewers. I scored pretty high, as I found out 10 days later. After the 10 days, you get your score. Then, each department that wants to hire a PSA contacts HR, and HR sends the first 10 people on the list to the department that's hiring. Because of this, I was called to the Community Services Bureau in Concord within a week of getting my results and was given a predetermined time and date to come in. I interviewed with two individuals in the department and was asked more specific questions, also scripted. I was called back for a second interview that day and went in the next day to meet with more people. I was told I would know an answer by the end of the week and never heard back. I followed up the next week by email and the manager called me and told me they decided to go with another person.
    Disappointing; however, because I am still on that list (remember the first interview is to determine where you are ranked on the list), I was called again by the same department for an office in Martinez. This interview was terrible - the people were stiff and clearly not interested in me. The next day, I was called by Health Services for a Personnel Services Assistant III role, and had an interview with two individuals and it was great (still waiting to hear back).
    Long story short, if you are applying to a job where there is an eligibility list, expect for it to take time. You're on the list for 12 months so anytime a department needs to hire, they will contact HR and if you are high enough on the list, your info will be forwarded to them.
    I am always wanting to know how long it took others to get a job so I will close with this timeline:
    May 17, 2016 - submitted app.
    June 30, 2016 - deadline.
    July 10, 2016 - first oral interview to put you on the list.
    July 20, 2016 - results of oral interview.
    July 27, 2016 - first invite for an interview.
    August 3, 2016 - first interview with department.
    August 7, 2016 - rejection via phone call.
    August 5, 2016 - interview with different office - this one went horrible and I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet.
    August 10, 2016 - interview with different department - this one went REALLY GOOD and they told me they'd let me know by August 20, 2016 if it is a yes or no.
    If you're from the private sector, you're used to getting an offer quick. I have experienced government hiring and typically have not received an offer sooner than two weeks after my interview, so please wish me luck! :)

Interview Questions

• Describe the steps you would take to implement progressive discipline.   Answer Question
    • An employee complains to you that her supervisor is working another employee on light duty. Upon review, you notice the supervisor did not gain formal approval through the county process for assigning light duty. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Public Health Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California in July 2016.

Interview

Filled out application online on their website. When closing period was over, I received an email one month later inviting me to come to an oral examination which was scheduled two weeks out.

I arrived at the interview and there were countless others waiting to be interviewed for the same position. Some had been waiting for a long period of time and we concluded that the interviews were running far behind schedule.
    One lady that was interviewing showed up in a summer dress and open toe sandals and appeared to be very confident. She knew the staff members. She worked for another department and asked the receptionist work related questions like how she could reserve the conference room down the hall.

In between booking the room on her cell phone, she called out to everyone waiting asking what time everyone was scheduled for. We all found out that we were scheduled about 5 mins apart. We we given a clip board when we arrived to indicate who we felt uncomfortable interviewing with from a list of board members/staff

I waited about 30 mins to be called in to interview. There were two board members that o interviewed with. I attempted to offer a copy of my resume but was told they couldn't take it or answer any questions. They said they have not even seen my resume and that I could leave it at the front desk. We proceeded by me answering a set of questions that was taped to the table on front of me. I was told that the session would be recorded and that I had 25 minutes to answer 7 questions.

After the interview was over, they said that I would hear back via email. I interviewed on a Friday afternoon. On Monday morning, I ha received an email indicating that I had passed the screening process and was placed on a list of qualified candidates.

Two days later I received an email stating that they would interview down to the person (s)selected and that I may or may not be called in for another interview. I have not heard back and it's been two weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an employee that has been calling in sick or has been using sick/annual leave recklessly?   Answer Question

Eligibility Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hercules, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Hercules, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

After you submit your application you get a test date. You arrive for the exam along with about 200 other applicants. Based upon your results, you are placed into A, B, C categories. When you are called for an interview, they call groups of about 50 people to eacb time slot. There is a brief informational period, then a note taking test. Then based upon what order you arrive, you are called one by one into an interview with 2 supervisors of the position you are applying for. They each take turns reading you a question and then write your responses down. Thats it. They also make you provide a list of your references and they must reach each one in order to off e r you the job.

ROW Agent Interview

Interview

great. they take time to make sure the people applying are capable and the interviewers are people who are working in the field the job is in. Great professional atmosphere.

Associate Appraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward for a county position. You are required to take a personality/knowledge test and if you pass that, you are called in for a panel interview. You then are ranked on a hire list that is good for up to two years. I