Contra Costa County - California Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Contra Costa County - California Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2017

2.9

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

Standard nurse interview. No scenario or hard hitting questions. They are just desperate for people. Charge nurse didn't even ask much. I had more questions for them than they had of me.

Personnel Services Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA).

Interview

I applied in mid-May 2016 and the deadline was May 31, 2016. The deadline was then extended by another month. Finally, I was invited a week later to attend an oral board interview on July 10, 2016. Upon arrival, I was provided a list of all interviewers present and you're asked if you know anyone on the list. This is to prevent a conflict of interest. They hand you a sheet that describes the process, including the fact that the folks interviewing you haven't seen your resume or application. I was called in and met one woman from the City of Oakland and one from Sacramento County. They asked me a series of questions related to the qualifications and education I have. The interview is tape recorded. Based on this interview, you are placed on a list, in order based on the score you received from the interviewers. I scored pretty high, as I found out 10 days later. After the 10 days, you get your score. Then, each department that wants to hire a PSA contacts HR, and HR sends the first 10 people on the list to the department that's hiring. Because of this, I was called to the Community Services Bureau in Concord within a week of getting my results and was given a predetermined time and date to come in. I interviewed with two individuals in the department and was asked more specific questions, also scripted. I was called back for a second interview that day and went in the next day to meet with more people. I was told I would know an answer by the end of the week and never heard back. I followed up the next week by email and the manager called me and told me they decided to go with another person.
    Disappointing; however, because I am still on that list (remember the first interview is to determine where you are ranked on the list), I was called again by the same department for an office in Martinez. This interview was terrible - the people were stiff and clearly not interested in me. The next day, I was called by Health Services for a Personnel Services Assistant III role, and had an interview with two individuals and it was great (still waiting to hear back).
    Long story short, if you are applying to a job where there is an eligibility list, expect for it to take time. You're on the list for 12 months so anytime a department needs to hire, they will contact HR and if you are high enough on the list, your info will be forwarded to them.
    I am always wanting to know how long it took others to get a job so I will close with this timeline:
    May 17, 2016 - submitted app.
    June 30, 2016 - deadline.
    July 10, 2016 - first oral interview to put you on the list.
    July 20, 2016 - results of oral interview.
    July 27, 2016 - first invite for an interview.
    August 3, 2016 - first interview with department.
    August 7, 2016 - rejection via phone call.
    August 5, 2016 - interview with different office - this one went horrible and I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet.
    August 10, 2016 - interview with different department - this one went REALLY GOOD and they told me they'd let me know by August 20, 2016 if it is a yes or no.
    If you're from the private sector, you're used to getting an offer quick. I have experienced government hiring and typically have not received an offer sooner than two weeks after my interview, so please wish me luck! :)

Interview Questions

• Describe the steps you would take to implement progressive discipline.   Answer Question
    • An employee complains to you that her supervisor is working another employee on light duty. Upon review, you notice the supervisor did not gain formal approval through the county process for assigning light duty. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Public Health Program Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California in July 2016.

Interview

Filled out application online on their website. When closing period was over, I received an email one month later inviting me to come to an oral examination which was scheduled two weeks out.

I arrived at the interview and there were countless others waiting to be interviewed for the same position. Some had been waiting for a long period of time and we concluded that the interviews were running far behind schedule.
    One lady that was interviewing showed up in a summer dress and open toe sandals and appeared to be very confident. She knew the staff members. She worked for another department and asked the receptionist work related questions like how she could reserve the conference room down the hall.

In between booking the room on her cell phone, she called out to everyone waiting asking what time everyone was scheduled for. We all found out that we were scheduled about 5 mins apart. We we given a clip board when we arrived to indicate who we felt uncomfortable interviewing with from a list of board members/staff

I waited about 30 mins to be called in to interview. There were two board members that o interviewed with. I attempted to offer a copy of my resume but was told they couldn't take it or answer any questions. They said they have not even seen my resume and that I could leave it at the front desk. We proceeded by me answering a set of questions that was taped to the table on front of me. I was told that the session would be recorded and that I had 25 minutes to answer 7 questions.

After the interview was over, they said that I would hear back via email. I interviewed on a Friday afternoon. On Monday morning, I ha received an email indicating that I had passed the screening process and was placed on a list of qualified candidates.

Two days later I received an email stating that they would interview down to the person (s)selected and that I may or may not be called in for another interview. I have not heard back and it's been two weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an employee that has been calling in sick or has been using sick/annual leave recklessly?   Answer Question

Eligibility Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hercules, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Hercules, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

After you submit your application you get a test date. You arrive for the exam along with about 200 other applicants. Based upon your results, you are placed into A, B, C categories. When you are called for an interview, they call groups of about 50 people to eacb time slot. There is a brief informational period, then a note taking test. Then based upon what order you arrive, you are called one by one into an interview with 2 supervisors of the position you are applying for. They each take turns reading you a question and then write your responses down. Thats it. They also make you provide a list of your references and they must reach each one in order to off e r you the job.

ROW Agent Interview

Interview

great. they take time to make sure the people applying are capable and the interviewers are people who are working in the field the job is in. Great professional atmosphere.

Associate Appraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward for a county position. You are required to take a personality/knowledge test and if you pass that, you are called in for a panel interview. You then are ranked on a hire list that is good for up to two years. I

Eligibility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

On the day of the interview, they require you to have 3 letter of recommendations from supervisors and/or mangers ONLY. Have your 3 list of references available. Very important to read/memorize the memorandum that is given to you as they will ask you a question about it. You will be tested on your computer skills on a timed computer test. It is a 2 person panel interview. The interview questions will be taped on the table in front of you.

Interview Questions

• What educational and experience backgrounds do you have that relates to the position?
      What is your opinion on the memorandum?
      What computer programs are you familiar with and what do you use it for?
      Answer Question

Senior Deputy Administrative Officer Interview

Interview

Unfortunately a very slow application process. Application materials were due in July. Interview was scheduled in October. I can understand how hirings can either fall apart or stall in public sector agencies, but I thought these folks forgot about me. Maybe they did or changed their mind about me at the last minute.

I show up for the interview panel and the HR receptionist reads to me from a script telling me; 1. I can't take my materials, extra resumes or notes into the room with me and that she's going to hang onto them for me, 2. the interview panelists aren't able, nor allowed to answer any questions; 3. interview panelists have never seen my resume.

I'm then advised that I am scheduled to interview with two different panels because I "applied for two different open positions" (which was not true because one of the jobs I'm clearly not qualified for.) I correct the receptionist and inform her that I've only applied for one open position. After her pause and confusion, I’m given a list of the people doing the oral interview (for the one job I am qualified for) consisting of two people, and I’m asked if I know any of the people. Since I didn’t know anyone, I was told that the people interviewing me had not seen my resume and I couldn’t give them a copy either. I would have 30 minutes to answer nine questions and the interview would be recorded.

As I’m checking in, another lady is hanging around, in line behind me. I thought she was another HR employee. Turns out she's another candidate waiting to check in too, and she hears MY whole conversation. So much for confidentiality. And she's an internal candidate because she is chatting up the HR receptionist I just spoke to. They clearly already know each other. Whatever.

When I got into the interview room, the panelists were kind and professional and not attached to the County. They pointed me to a list of the questions that were printed out and sitting on the table and asked me to read then answer the questions in the order of my choice. (If I'm reading the questions and then speaking them into a recording device, why do I need an interview panel?)

The HR receptionist forgot to take my notebook from me, so I used my notes throughout the whole panel. The other lady/probable internal candidate behind me (who showed up with nothing) saw me walk in with it. So if she didn't get the offer, she would probably have grounds for a complaint.

This may all sound like sour grapes, but I can't help but think how lucky I am that I'm not attractive to an organization that acts like this.

Clerk Recorder's Services Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Martinez, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California (Martinez, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I filled out the online application and was contacted about one week after the application deadline was closed. An interview was scheduled for one week later. I arrived at the interview appointment and was brought upstairs to wait until it was time to be interviewed. I was given a two page copy of the job duties to read while I waited. The job description emphasized that I would be examining documents for accuracy as a primary job duty. Ironically the job description itself had an obvious typo. Assuming the two pieces of paper would be mine to keep I underlined the typo. When I was summoned for the interview I was asked to give the copies back. You have to admire the county employees for wanting to save the two or three cents by recycling the copies, but that savings would only occur if I did not get the position as they would probably let me keep a copy of my job duties if I got the job. When I returned the copies I mentioned that I assumed the copies were for me to keep and therefore I marked a typo on them. Instead of being impressed that I found a typo that they obviously overlooked, which is what someone applying for the position was supposed to be skilled at, and instead of being grateful for pointing out the error, they instead seemed agitated when I pointed out that I had discovered the error. They were very cold as I was lead to the interview room. I was seated in front of a panel of a very young Hispanic man and two young overweight white ladies. Their questions were the typical general lame questions that would be asked at a generic interview where not much thought was put into the questions. Luckily I had prepared for such general questions and I felt I had done an excellent job of answering the questions. The interviewers seemed robotic without emotion. Very serious and formal. I left the interview thinking that I could not have done a better job of answering the questions. I was no longer considered for the position after that. I can only assume it was because I ruined their copies, or because I hurt their ego by finding the typo as the reason they didn't hire me as I was well qualified for the position and I had aced the interview. I am glad I didn't go to work there. Can you imagine what a day there would be like if you were an achiever like myself?

Interview Questions

• No question was difficult. They were general or generic questions like, "What are your weaknesses?", or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?" Really lame questions.   1 Answer

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Contra Costa County - California.

Interview

This is the most difficult part of the process one can have - the HR department is almost useless when it comes to hiring and it takes an act of God to get someone through the process.