Covington & Burling Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

Sort:

Conflicts Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in November 2016.

Interview

Paper work took awhile to complete but I had to go through two interviews. One phone interview with HR and then an interview with the conflicts manager and Special counsel.

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was unconventional, because I was working with a very aggressive recruiter, who had close ties in HR; the process took 2 weeks. The process at this firm was like it is at most; legal professional are risk averse, so they do everything they can to ensure that they are "competitive", which means exactly like every other firm.

At firms of its size and reputation, anticipate a phone screening or two followed by 2 separate rounds of in-person interviews, which take about 2 hours each and are a week or sometimes several apart; do not get anxious if you do not get the call-back the day of the first round; hiring at any firm is a bureaucracy. However, play by all of the rules or act at your own peril.

You will first meet with the administrative staff, and then the attorneys and partners with whom you will be working. If you plan to get the job, know as much about the culture inferred from its history as a "brain trust" or at least enough to fake it. The firm prides itself on its culture, which most do, so be prepared to recite the rhetoric ad nauseum. However, after you get beyond the cultural questions, the conversation assumes an informal tone, so you can relax a little.

Note: the first round of interviews is more rigorous than the second round. The administrative staff have more to loose than the attorneys in the event that you do not work out, so go rested for the first and expect to be tested, even made to feel uncomfortable; they might test you some to see how you perform under pressure. If invited to return for a second round, feel confident, but not too confident; you can enjoy the process a little more.

Interview Questions

• Many of the attorneys with whom I spoke compared notes, each wanting to see how your experience would best serve them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Met with 2 paralegal supervisors. Very laid back; no trick questions. Then I took a tour of the office with some current paralegals and got to ask them questions. They got back to me within 2 weeks.

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Covington & Burling.

Interview

Fairly Standard--email in a cover letter and resume. Heard back a couple months later. Came in for a face to face interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Sat with the director of paralegals and someone from HR and discussed my resume and the role. No real curveballs. They were nice and conversational, though it is of course a serious firm and therefore they know what they are looking for when filling this role. They sent me a letter of rejection which is a nice gesture, especially considering how rare it is to get a response of any kind if rejected these days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

It was very laid-back and conversational! The questions were thought-provoking but really aimed towards allowing me to express who I am as a person. There were two current employees at the interview, so I also got to answer both of their questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent a resume to the paralegal manager and received and email asking to do a Skype interview. We talked casually for about 30-45mins about the position and what my interests were.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in May 2014.

Interview

Sent email to hiring manager who responded within a few days with next step details. They were not conducting phone interviews only in-person ones at the time. The in-person interview was with the paralegal managers (2) and a couple of attorneys who came in afterwards. It took about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, and then I got an offer a week or so afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Why did you decide to apply for a paralegal position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC) in March 2017.

Interview

Resume, Phone Screen, then onsite interviews. Very standard interview, with director and manager. Interview was onsite in Covington's DC office. Got a call about two weeks later from HR with an offer, and received contract in the mail the next day.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Covington & Burling (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initial communication was set up through a headhunter. Then I had an interview with the firm's recruiter. Then I met with 4-5 attorneys/partners. Covington is extremely selective. They call all references, read writing samples, etc. I have been involved in interviewing potential junior associates and it is always the same. Very selective, top grades, law review, etc.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: why Covington, why are you leaving your current firm, tell about relevant practice experience.   Answer Question