Cray Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.8

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cray (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Drawn out - slow -rigorous - broad. I got my in-person interview 2 months after my phone screen and an offer a week later with a required start date of 1 week later.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Fe, NM

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cray (Santa Fe, NM) in May 2017.

Interview

May phone and in person interviews. Many discussions about job position. Many discussions about what will happen next. Interviewers wanted me to pass the interviews. About eight or nine different interviews of which three where in person.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Cray.

Interview

Basic phone interview telling me about the position, and inquiring about my coursework in C/C++/Assembly, and my knowledge of CPU design concepts, including pipelining and caches. The interviewers were part of a team looking specifically for an intern, and were very friendly.

Interview Questions

• What kinds of coursework have you had on coding, and what were the projects you worked on in these classes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Cray in January 2017.

Interview

The overall review for this company is about their friendly people and supporting atmosphere, but my interview experience with them was quite the opposite.
    Applied through job site and soon contacted by company recruiter. The initial talk with recruiter was great, and the phone interview was skipped, I was scheduled directly for the onsite interview.

It was a team interview but for unknown reason one of the interviewer was not friendly from the very beginning. At one time I praised their office setup and location. He replied with something like this is a terrible office... On one question, that individual's knowledge is clearly limited to old ways of how thing was done in terms of software programming and debugging. When I offered solutions based on newer technologies he was adamant about I was wrong. Regardless, I still nailed 99% of the interview questions.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mendota, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cray (Mendota, MN).

Interview

Casual. I don't really remember much about it. It was one on one and he asked about me. I took a test on Boolean algebra. I never thought I would ever need that stuff. Just goes to show that you should pa attention in school even if you never think you will use what you are learning.

Pricing Proposal Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Cray (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was standard. I applied online and within a couple of weeks I received an email from HR to setup a phone screening interview. Very basic first interview. Then a couple weeks later I met with people on the team and discussed specific skill sets, approach to problem-solving and personality questions. The final interview process brought in people from multiple divisions that supported or worked with my team. Some interviews were in person others were in a conference room on the phone.

Interview Questions

• How did you improve process / drive efficiency within your team at your former job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cray.

Interview

5 interviews over 6 hours. I met with probably ~12 people over the whole thing. Sometimes I was interviewed by just one person and sometimes by 2. At the end, the entire team I would be working with interviewed me together.

Training Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Cray (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

They spent a significant amount of time explaining the specifics of the job to me because it was a new position. They were transparent about their current situation and actually spent more time talking than asking me questions, which I greatly appreciated when I was hired. I really knew what I was getting into. Interviewed with six different people.

Interview Questions

• How will you assess the success of the programming you create?   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Cray (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

Head hunter found me via linked in. I believe the head hunter new my background based on my linked in connections and profile. I sent the head hunter my resume and he forwarded that to Cray. I had a first telephone interview and then a second telephone interview. Over my career I have experience in writing software from scratch, design, and all phases of the software life cycle. However most recently my experience is mostly Level 3 support. This opportunity was new development and that was the issue and why they didn't make me an offer.

Hardware Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cray (Champaign, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, interview was very casual and informal. Geared more towards inquiring of relevant technical experience, but no technical questions. Recruiter was an engineer and was happy to share his role in the company and lay out project work and expectations of the internship. Was not only interested in relevant technical work, but also aimed questions towards things I was involved with outside of engineering and the classroom.

Interview Questions

• Specific explanations on previous internships and relevant project experience.   Answer Question