Cray Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cray President, CEO, and Director Peter J. Ungaro
Peter J. Ungaro

Pros
  • Great people and a true feeling that company ares about employees (in 8 reviews)

• Great management, good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • New processes are continually rolled out by mid and upper management without an understanding of the work the groups need to accomplish (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great job for a start"

Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Engineering Technician in Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning environment, lots of experienced people to work with, some growth opportunities, great benefits, nice people, they do prioritize internal hires.

Cons

Growth comes after at least 5 years, expect to be challenged one day and bored out of your mind the next, it is either a big push or dead.

Advice to Management

More clear communication as to goals, keeping busy learning is better than keeping busy doing rote tasks.

"Good people, poor management"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledgeable​ and enjoyable coworkers. Amazing hardware. Engaging problems. Exciting environments. Opportunities for travel. Wide array of technologies available. Very few boring problems.

Cons

Poor upper management support. Poor training. Poor level 1 support from above levels. Poor career advancement opportunities. Non-competitive salaries. Many sites are not in areas you would want to live.

Advice to Management

Level 1 needs better support from upper levels.

"Great People, Shaky Management"

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High-tech, fun work culture, dynamic environment.

Cons

Had 3 different bosses for the same job over the course of 2 years there with a period of 2 months without a boss at all.

"A lot of potential, but currently in chaos."

Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer IV in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cray has a lot of very talented people. The engineers are willing to help one another. The company is forward looking and planning strategies for the future.

Cons

Cray has a serious management problem. There's a feeling of fear about sticking your neck out. New processes are continually rolled out by mid and upper management without an understanding of the work the groups need to accomplish. It is a very chaotic and political environment.

Advice to Management

I never thought I would say this, but I think Cray should bring in an outside consulting company. It needs help to get some solid base processes in place. In the current environment of fear and distrust I don't think any group in Cray can do this successfully.

"Fantastic company!"

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, very competitive pay, easygoing but hard-working employees, no micromanaging, awesome executive team, fantastic culture, comfortable facilities, always interesting work!

Cons

HPC is a difficult/volatile market to be in, so direction at a corporate level seems to shift often, making it sometimes difficult for those near the bottom to align, also some antiquated or unusual processes left over from decades past when the company was smaller.

6. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Cray (Less than a year)

Pros

Very chilled out environment. People are helpful. Freedom to choose your own project

Cons

Nothing much against. The company needs to take in more talent to compete with the competition

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Cray (Less than a year)

Pros

Top manufacturer of HPC systems. Leader in GOV. And Edu sales. Builds quality products and is fairly good st listening to users

Cons

Micro management to the nth degree. Very little faith in the professionals resulting in lack of confidenc

Advice to Management

Trust your proplee that

"Training Specialist"

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company lives its values. Leadership is excellent, very supportive, open and willing to support their employees when working with other departments. I've never been told "this is the way we've always done it." People are open to new ideas as well as expanding your role to take on additional stretch projects. The people are also great; they are intelligent, kind and ready to collaborate. Selflessness is one of Cray's values and it's in evidence every day I work here. This is a great place if you like solving really interesting problems in a creative, supportive environment. The company is going through tremendous change and they're taking the great steps to make it work. It's an exciting place to be.

Cons

The majority of my team works remotely, so it can get a little lonely. Although people here are really kind and collaborative, there spark that you get from really dynamic collaboration isn't there sometimes. I've seen way worse, but there is some friction between competing priorities.

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing to create true alignment across the organization. It's easy to get surface agreement on initiatives, but it's another to dig down and clarify what are the real priorities are on a daily basis - that's where real change happens.

"Good Tech Company in a tough commodity market..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roslyn, NY

I worked at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people! Good Pay! Good Luck!

Cons

It seemed that the initiative that they brought me into help build had a bad foundation. They were not willing to invest enough resources to be successful. High salesperson turnover caused chaos for the Pre-Sales SEs

Advice to Management

Good luck in a big ocean of cheap commodity hardware and superior software products...

10. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Cray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cray is a company with an incredible vision as well as a strong moral character.

It's, by far, the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

So far, there are none.