D. E. Shaw Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

D. E. Shaw Research Interview Questions

Updated May 10, 2017

3.4

ASIC Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research.

Interview

Fill online form..
    >> Projects and description
    >> Refers to what journals and son on so forth...
    expects you to be well versed with projects and specially position you are applying for... concepts MUST !!

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY).

Interview

This review is primarily to inform other applicants about the expected timeline for a candidacy at D. E. Shaw Research. It is something I certainly wish I was aware of before my candidacy began.

I was contacted on July 19, 2016 by a member of the Strategic Growth Team and asked to apply for a postdoctoral position. I had heard very little about the company until this point, and had not considered applying. I was asked to send a resume and then to fill out a questionnaire, which I did by July 21, 2016. I was then contacted on July 22, 2016 and asked to schedule a 1-hour phone interview. The phone interview was scheduled for July 27, 2016, and a member of the DESRES team contacted me and spoke to me for an hour. The questions were mostly focused around my research, but I was allowed to ask a few questions at the end. On August 12, 2016, I was contacted and told that my phone interview went well and that I would need to fly in for an on-site interview "in the next month or so." The on-site interview was scheduled for September 9, 2016 and lasted from 9am to about 5pm. I met with 8 or 9 different people (individual 1-hour interviews) and was mostly asked questions about my research. On September 19, 2016, I received an e-mail letting me know that the five references I had provided would be contacted soon. On October 14, 2016, I received another e-mail letting me know that I would have to fly back for a second on-site interview, and this time they provided two dates: November 8, 2016 and November 9, 2016. Being a Tuesday (and Election Day) and a Wednesday, I asked if it would be possible to schedule the interview for a day that was not in the middle of the week, as it would require taking multiple days off from work. They responded (October 18, 2016) saying that they would postpone the on-site visit and instead schedule a phone interview with a senior scientist. The phone interview was scheduled for October 26, 2016, and took a little over an hour, with the interviewer asking questions mostly about my research. I did not hear back from them by November 3, 2016, so I sent an e-mail asking for an update on my candidacy. I received an e-mail on November 8, 2016 inviting me back for a second on-site interview on December 2, 2016. The second on-site interview started at 9am and ended at 7:30pm. I met with around 10 different people (individual 1-hour interviews again), and the visit culminated with a phone call from Dr. Shaw (who was very nice and interested in my research). It is unclear to me if this is standard protocol or if this final interview is reserved for candidates who will most likely be receiving an offer, but it is not farfetched to assume that after a near 5-month-long candidacy and a phone call from the CEO, an offer should be forthcoming. On December 8, 2016, I received a phone call from the same member of the Strategic Growth Team who had asked me to apply on July 19, 2016, and was told that I would not be getting an offer. It took them a grand total of about 150 days to come to this decision. If you are okay with going through a 150-day interview process (regardless of the eventual outcome), then by all means apply to DESRES.

Scientific Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in January 2017.

Interview

Phone: Had a great hour long conversation with a researcher about previous experiences, plus some technical questions.

Onsite: Most interviewers seemed fine, but definitely had a weird experience overall. One interviewer came in 10 minutes late, clearly had not read my resume (and was not interested in reading it even when I offered him a copy) and asked me technical questions that obviously were totally unrelated to my experiences. I'm sure they do great work but based on the experience things seemed somewhat disorganized. Also definitely felt like some people had big egos. That being said, your mileage may vary since I only did 4 one hour interviews plus lunch, and maybe I just had a bad interviewer or two.

Scientific Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in January 2017.

Interview

Recruiter call me directly. They were recruiting biology-oriented employees, while I am seeking a CS-related position, so it ended up with merely a technical conversation rather than an interview, I think. Unsurprisingly I was not offered a on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Why does their exist some protein that denature at low temperature?
      Why, then, do most protein denature at high temperature?
      What are the dominating thermodynamic driving force?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Applied online by sending a SOP and resume. Was contacted in a few days about a phone interview. The interviewer asked questions on my current project. The conversation was two sided, we both shared information about the research we do. After the phone interview I was called for an onsite interview, which I am yet to attend.

Scientific Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within a few days to provide more information. A day later I was contacted requesting to schedule a phone screen, which took place about a little over a week later. The interviewer started by asking about my research, and then asked several technical follow-up questions relating to specific methods I brought up when describing it. The interview concluded with a couple questions about unrelated experimental chemistry methods.

Interview Questions

• If I give you a compound, what experiment would you do to determine whether it's aromatic?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online by sending in my resume and got an email couple of days later asking for a phone interview. The interview was set a week later. Talked for ~1hr about my previous research and was asked a lot of questions about basic concepts behind research/techniques. Be aware. I was asked a lot of fundamental and simple questions that took me off guard and I had a hard time responding. Know your basic college math chem bio biochem physics really well.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone screen and then onsite interview. Onsite interview was pretty easy, with questions on algorithms, drugs and chemical fields. Many of the people did not appear knowledgable of field outside their focus. Questions asked include design a algorithm to effeciently find out new drug molecules.

Interview Questions

• Design a algorithm to effeciently find out new drug molecules.   Answer Question

Chief of Staff Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research.

Interview

The interview was very thorough. It took two days, and by the end had spoken with about 15 staff from all different departments - operations, science, software, hardware. There were various questions on technical and soft skills.

Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research.

Interview

Brief exploratory phone call to vet credentials and "fit" for the job based on preliminary questions and conservation. Spoke with member of the team who ask questions about the resume, experience, how to handle certain scenarios, etc. It was straight forward, no surprises, but a little dry and obvious the person was not interested in pursuing the candidacy from the moment the call began.