D. E. Shaw Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at D. E. Shaw Research

3.4

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by email and I responded with my CV. I was then asked to schedule a phone interview which took place one week later. The Phone interview was very scientific in nature and dissimilar from other interviews that may be more qualitative than quantitative. I learned during the interview. I am now waiting to hear back from them regarding the possibility of an onsite interview and hope that it will work out. I really enjoyed the interview despite how challenging it was. It lasted 1.5 hours though it was scheduled for only an hour.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to talk about my long-term goals, professionally.   1 Answer

Junior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one which covered general background, and one which had some easy physics/CS questions to answer. After the phone interviews I went to NY for an on site interview which consisted of a series of one on ones with various staff members. We discussed my background, prior research experience, and then had a series of analysis/math/CS problems to solve.

Interview Questions

• Write C++ code for finding if a substring exists in a string.   Answer Question
    • If you're on some energy landscape near a local minimum, how might you explore the landscape (algorithmically) to find other minima/global minimum?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied online, then passed through 2 rounds of phone interviews. Phone interviews were about my background, but I was also asked technical questions, for example I was asked how to optimize following loop of C code, doing vector addition:
       for (int i = 0; i < n; ++i)
          c[i] = a[i] + b[i];
    that lead further to discussion about loop unrolling and various other optimization techniques. After doing well throughout phone interviews, I got a call to visit DESRES offices in New York, for an on-site interview.

DESRES offices are near Times Square. The offices are great, as well as the whole space - especially stunning is an entry hall where their Anton super-computer is installed. The dress code is casual, so you definitely don't have to wear a tie if you're coming to an interview.

I had a sequence of four one-on-one interview sessions, lasting one hour each: the first interview was with the head of the group I was considered for, and the next three with the group members. Each session would start with person on the other end of the table discussing the group and his role within, then I would be asked questions on my background (beware: you'll be asked about past work in excruciating detail!), and finally I would be given a programming task, to work on it in front of whiteboard. Programming tasks were of average type (see for the specific questions below), mostly of these where there is an obvious solution, so you would start with writing this one, and then you would get asked to improve upon. Unfortunately, my travel previous day was long, and from completely different time zone, so I was dead tired and thus performed on these tasks way below my capabilities and expectations. I was told, at the start of interviews session, that after these four interviews I'll be taken to a lunch by another team member, and that they may have some more interviews scheduled for me for the afternoon. So after completing this round of interviews, I was indeed taken to a lunch to a nearby restaurant, and when we returned to the office, I was told by the person administering my visit that they realized they managed to have everything regarding my interview process completed during this initial session, and that they won't keep me in the offices during the rest of the afternoon, which is well-knows euphemism to tell you that you actually failed, so they won't spend any more time with you.

But my overall experience on DESRES is extremely positive, so I would definitely recommend to anyone interested in high-performance computing work in the context of molecular dynamics simulation to try for it. I was told that the team is continuously expanding (and you can indeed find lots of their job announcements on various job boards), the work atmosphere is challenging but then again very close to an academic institution atmosphere (they have continuous stream of funding from D. E. Shaw hedge fund, so they don't have to worry to get profitable by any kind of hard deadline), and the whole interview procedure is actually not that hard as maybe one would expect for such an elite position. So - be courageous and try for it, and don't forget to practice programming puzzles, and also be careful to organize your trip so that you could come well-rested to the interviews sessions, and show up the best of your knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Write C code that, given number n from the interval [0,32], produce integer number with n least-significant bit sets to 1, and other bits set to 0 (practically, write a decoder).   5 Answers
    • Write C code that, given an integer number n, would count number of bits of number n that are set to 1.   1 Answer
    • Write C code that would in-place (using O(1) of additional storage) transpose given rectangular matrix of numbers.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY).

Interview

Online interview where they asked very detailed questions about previous project experience followed by on-site interview for ~7 hours with more questions about previous research as well as some coding/chemistry questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in June 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online, received invitation for a phone interview within a week. Email correspondence with a representative from the Growth team was formal but kind and sincere, this was to coordinate the phone interview. Interviewer was a member of the technical team, seemed to have a great deal of intelligence and was engaged in the interview. For the majority of the time he asked me about my research background and concluded the interview with a few technical/programming questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process is respectful and generous. The conversation is two way and flowing with room to fully express yourself.There is a lot of room in the exchange to re calibrate your answer.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a projct that illustrates your autonomous work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Multiple phone screens, flew to Manhattan and met with team.
    Most interviewers were casual disucssions of technology and Anton.
    One was at the white board coding.

The team is amazing. It is not often that one gets to meet such talented enginers. They shared openly and allowed close inspection of Anton. They had no problem with my humble background and seemed genuinly interested in my career.

Given some time to reflect on the engineering sollutions and direction of the company it was humbling to see such quality work.

NOTE: They seemed to be looking for an answer that was missing. Months after the interview I speculated about a besign problem, checked with an associate (with access to Anton) and confirmed that they had a performance bottleneck - with a simple solution. They obviously knew about the problem but were shy about exposing it. I wrote and suggested a solution that would solve the class of problems with minimal architetural changes.

Interview Questions

• Code bit packed FIFO on the white board   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in November 2015.

Interview

Interview supposedly went well based on my interview Er's feedback, but I received an email saying that my skills didn't match their needs. However, I wasn't told anything about this during the interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in October 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application on their website and a recruiter reached out to me to set up a phone chat. I gave him some of my availabilities, but by the time he emailed me back, those dates had already passed, so we had to schedule some new dates. Overall, very very slow responses from my recruiter. During the chat, the engineer who was speaking to me told me they were piloting a new intern program for next summer. We went over what was on my resume and he asked me some simple questions. It seemed to be going really well and he told me on the phone that he would follow up with next steps. After that, I didn't hear from them for a week, so I emailed my recruiter asking for a status update. He responded to the email with a really generic response - "We don't have needs for interns right now." Obviously contrived, and honestly such a waste of time. The recruiters here are very unprofessional. Would not recommend.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite data structure?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at D. E. Shaw Research in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very fast. First asked about what projects I had done in the past and then asked some general coding questions both definition based and application based. Phone interview was quite short and didn't have time to complete the question. Decision turn around time was very short as I heard back within the week.