DFS Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.1

Graduate Development Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at DFS Group (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Straight forward interview, nothing too tricky. Interviewer sounded very neutral. After the phone interview, I was invited down to their office to attend a group case study for further assessment

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFS Group (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

there were two round interviews. the first one was with their global vp and they were just some basic questions. I waited for a week to get into second round interview, which was with a hiring manager from merchandise group. they were some basic questions too.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at DFS Group.

Interview

First interview in work force, another group interview with DFS manages in same location, then phone interview (quiz) from singapore. After they give you offer, get to start more than month.

Interview Questions

• Tell your work experience.   1 Answer

Demo Interview

Interview

Had a traditional interview at the airport. The questions were mostly about retail. The interviewer asked what I would do in certain scenarios. He also shared what he would do under those circumstances which was very helpful.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at DFS Group (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Multiple levels with phone and in person interviews with 3rd party interview as well. Profile test will also be part of the routine and will determine your abilities to work with others and development in your new role.

Interview Questions

• Describe your history of learning   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very quick over the phone

Luxury Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at DFS Group.

Interview

I received a call from a HR manager immediately after sending my resume. After a brief phone interview she promised to follow up. After a week went by I called her and she then scheduled a second interview with upper management. One was nice, the other looked at his ipad the entire time. I never heard back one way or the other. Obviously, their professional follow through is in need of an adjustment.

Interview Questions

• Describe an incident where you had to change a policy to accommodate a guest?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at DFS Group (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

First, I had a phone screen with the HR manager, followed by a personal interview with the GM and the Dept. Manager. One week later, I had a phone interview with an interviewer from Singapore. She had a very heavy accent that I had never dealt with before, therefore it was extremely difficult to understand her pronunciation. During the interview, she asked me to get a pen and paper so she could spell out some of the words she was trying to communicate, so it seems clear to me that she knows herself that her communication in English is not very clear. At the end of the interview, she asked me to evaluate her English pronunciation, which also validated my concerns. It seems a bit strange to me that I would be asked to evaluate her English skills.

I don't understand how DFS hired someone with inadequate English communication skills to conduct the interviews. I have had similar interviews before, and I

had always passed. I should have rescheduled the interview as soon as I heard that I couldn't understand her, but I didn't want to offend her.

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at DFS Group (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

Many rounds of interview over a 10 month process. There is a 2 hour long phone interview with standardised questions, a panel interview, and also interviews with hiring managers individually. It takes time for them to get back to you, so patience is key. They look for people who know what they want, are passionate about the retail industry, and know what service delivery means. Service and people are a huge part of the DFS culture.

Interview Questions

• Standardised interview was the most difficult part of the interview as it requires you to remain focused for a long period of time on the telephone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at DFS Group (Honolulu, HI) in March 2012.

Interview

Professional and conducted under different management; different style and culture. Managers were different back then and actually paid attention to skill and knowledge, as opposed to just language skills. To my knowledge, this is not the same process anymore. It really helps if you can speak Mandarin, as you will also be "favored" more in the eyes of "those who can sell" versus "those who can't". Managers definetely prefer Mandarin-speaking.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was really no negotiation; pay and benefits are like a "flat rate" depending on years of experience and language skills.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at DFS Group (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Phone conversation with HR and proceeded to have a phone interview with their Singapore team. After had two interviews with the Account Executive and a application interview.

The process itself wasn't too difficult. Everything is standard and the questions aren't too challenging. They have more focus on language abilities rather than hard sales abilities. The interview with the AE was the most challenging, but the HR was not too difficult. She was pretty helpful and easy to talk to throughout the process. She was pretty transparent in what the job requires and entails.

Interview Questions

• Experience? Why the specific brand? How would you communicate with the customers in different situations? How would you upsell?   1 Answer