Delphix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Delphix Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2018

3.1

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Delphix (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for a full time New Grad position on Delphix's frontend team. The first two phone interviews were easy, but the onsite was the most difficult one that I had ever done.

A recruiter reached out to me in late September following up on my online application in the spring and scheduled a 30 minute conversation with me. I couldn’t understand what the company does from their website, and the recruiter was very understanding and explained it to me in a very clear way. She explained that the interview would involve 2 phone interviews and an onsite. Since the first interview was a 24-hour take home coding challenge, I asked if this deadline could be extended to accommodate my busy schedule. She was happy to do so to ensure that I didn’t feel pressured by time.

The first phone interview was quickly scheduled for the next week. I spoke on the phone with an engineer and I got to ask him questions. He was very honest and sincere in his answers and after about 20 minutes, he sent me a coderpad link to the coding assessment. He told me to indicate “candidate” as my name so that the grader would know nothing about my background/gender and give me an unbiased evaluation. My interviewer gave me a bit to read over the prompt and answered my clarifying questions. We then hung up, and I easily finished the assessment within the 24 hour time limit despite my initial worries. Like the other Glassdoor reviewers, I was asked to use an API to write a function in the language of my choice. If you know how to use API’s/JSON’s and have solid coding fundamentals, this problem won’t be difficult.

My next phone interview was scheduled within the next 2 business days. The interviewer was friendly and genuine in his answers to my questions about Delphix, and this phone interview tested my understanding of data structures. I was not required to code anything, but I had to clearly explain what my proposed code design would do in general and edge case scenarios. For this interview, you’ll do well if you understand Arrays, Linked Lists, Hash Maps, etc. and their big O runtimes for operations like insertion, deletion, search, etc..

Within the next 2 business days, my recruiter reached out to me letting me know that I had moved forward to the onsite and scheduled a call to touch base with me and to explain the onsite day in more detail. I bought my own plane tickets for them to reimburse later, and they booked me a hotel that was a 10 minute walk from their SF office. The recruiter scheduled a call with me a couple days before my onsite to make sure I was all set.

I started my onsite day at their SF office around 10AM. My day was laid out as follows:
    1. On a laptop, do a JavaScript debugging challenge. There was a bug in the website and it was up to me to figure out what the problem was. Be able to troubleshoot JavaScript and know the quirks of the language that cause weird errors. This was intended to be my second interview, but the manager wasn't in the office yet.
    2. I met the hiring manager who told me more about Delphix’s technology stack and what the frontend team specifically does, what they’re presently working on, and what they will be working on soon. After his whirlwind tour, he asked me what aspects of what he just described excited me the most.
    3. I had lunch with the team and chatted with them casually. Since it took a while for the food to come out and to walk back to the office, my afternoon interviews were pushed half an hour back so that I had enough time to have a proper lunch break.
    4. I did a whiteboarding challenge where I had to implement a JavaScript class (though I could do this in any language/pseudocode) from a library that the team uses. The question I got required a strong understanding about passing in functions into a function.
    5. The interviewer, a guy from the backend team, gave me a string manipulation coding problem. I first whiteboarded my idea, then coded a working solution once I felt ready. I believe the solution used recursion, and it didn’t need to have an optimal runtime.
    6. Troubleshooting/QA challenge: I was asked a problem that was more of a brain teaser after a certain point than a technical coding question. Understand how multithreading works, how things can go wrong, and be able to think critically about edge cases.
    I mostly interviewed with frontend team that I would be working with with the exception of the last 2 interviews. Additionally, I got the chance to ask each interviewer questions after I finished the challenge. I had the option to ask for a 10 minute break between interviews, and the entire day was about 6-7 hours.

On the Wednesday after my onsite, my recruiter reached out to me to schedule a phone call to discuss next steps. She told me Delphix was extending me an offer and patiently answered my questions about it.

Interview Questions

• Use NASA's API to predict the next time the satellite will fly over a certain position.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Delphix (Redwood City, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

First a phone interview for 30 mins was made. Then they asked to answer in written to a couple of questions and describe some projects that could be applied to Delphix. Then an on site interview that took about 2 hours. The interviewers were nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• - Why the manhole cover is round?
      - Can you calculate how many tennis balls are sold per year in US?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Delphix in September 2017.

Interview

I was reached out to via email by a campus recruiter I met on campus last year. The overall interviewing process was very smooth and moved on very quickly. Interviewers were very friendly and were able to answer all my questions to my satisfaction.

Interview Questions

• Given NASA's API, predict the next time a satellite will hover over a certain position given by longitude, latitude and take a picture.   Answer Question
    • Design a cache system for a search engine.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Interview

The recruiter reached out via LinkedIn. I felt he was too pushy to get an interview call. Then there was a phone screen with manager and then a coding exercise. This all went well and I was invited on-site. The onsite interview consisted of behavorial, 2 technical, 1 design and 2 unnecessary interviews which had no significant value.

The interview process was too long and in onsite, there were redundant rounds. I met couple of bright people, but some inexperienced as well, who need to be trained well.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Delphix (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Long but thorough interview process. Required a presentation on a subject I was expert in, given to about 6 or 8 people - they were polite, interested, and asked good questions. Some really good technical interviews: some whiteboard / theory things that became an interesting discussion more than an interview (I learned a lot about ZFS). A great coding exercise with laptop, with interviewer watching, instead of whiteboard that required writing working code...seemed a much better way to test coding ability

Interview Questions

• Write Java code to read a dictionary (list of valid words) from a file, take user input words and respond with a list of anagrams fro the dictionary   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Delphix.

Interview

The process was extremely slow and drawn out. There were 4 interviews: a behavioural interview, a coding challenge interview, a system design interview, and an interview with your possible manager. The challenges were unique but easy. They made me wait about 2 weeks in between each stage. After I finished one stage, it would take the recruiter about a week to get back to me and schedule the next stage at least a week later. They send out interviews to almost everyone who applied, despite only having only a small amount of spots open. I applied to other companies while interviewing here and got offers that would have expired before I was done with Delphix's process at the rate they were going.

Interview Questions

Delphix Response

Mar 20, 2017 – Recruiting & Recruiting Operations

Hi there, thank you for this feedback! We are growing and scaling, and are always looking to improve. I'm sorry to hear this process took longer than you would have liked. For transparency on our... More

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Delphix in March 2017.

Interview

The Interview Process was divided into 4 rounds.
    Round 1: With the HR and "Tell me about yourself" type of questions
    Round 2: With an Engineer working in that project who explains the question and give all the necessary information required for the coding test.
    Round 3: With an Engineer, Technical round in which engineer shared a document with the problem statement and I was asked to give an optimum solution to solve that problem.
    Round 4: Onsite Interview

Interview Questions

• Write a code to predict when the next picture of the satellite will be taken.The prediction should have a date and time based on the average time between successive pictures.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Delphix.

Interview

I applied through my university. Then, I was set up for a initial phone screen, an online coding round for which an engineer called to explain the question and another phone call that involved some technical discussions.

After this was done, I heard back from the HR that she got positive reviews and would like to move forward for on-site interviews and she scheduled a phone call to explain the process. But the HR never called. When I followed up, the HR rescheduled it and did not call, again!! Instead, I get an email saying that they were "re-evaluating hiring plans" and are not looking to hire someone with my experience level!

Interview Questions

• See other reviews for questions. They ask pretty much the same to everyone.   Answer Question

Mar 20, 2017 – Recruiting & Recruiting Operations

Hello! Thank you for this feedback. This is understandably not the best interview experience you could have had with us. We have relayed this feedback to our Recruiting team, and will make sure this... More

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

The interview process seems longer than it needs to be. First I received an email for a phone conversation with a recruiter. Afterwards I scheduled a phone conversation with an engineer who gave me a coding problem and gave me 24 hours to find the solution. Then I had another phone conversation with an engineer who gave me two scenarios and asked me to come up with test cases, potential problems and solutions, etc for the two scenarios. This followed by another conversation with the recruiter who just wanted to see how I was doing and answer any questions. Finally there was a final phone conversation where I was just asked a few questions about my resume and any projects.

Interview Questions

• Use the NASA API to calculate the next time a satellite will fly over a certain geographical location   Answer Question

Mar 20, 2017 – Recruiting & Recruiting Operations

Hi there, thank you for this feedback. Sorry to hear this process took longer than expected! We pride ourselves on a high touch process, hence our recruiter scheduled time to check in and set... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Delphix in January 2017.

Interview

First interview with the recruiter was great, moved on to the first technical interview. I did not proceed from this stage. My interview had to be rescheduled some time but overally the experience is great.

Interview Questions

Delphix Response

Mar 20, 2017 – Recruiting & Recruiting Operations

Hello! We appreciate you taking the time to provide the feedback, so thank you! We are glad to hear you had a positive experience with Delphix!