Delphix Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Chris Cook

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Engineering team is amazing and individuals go out of their way to help colleagues succeed (in 11 reviews)

• Excellent work life balance because nobody can be bothered checking if you are working or not (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales Management is currently being reconstructed which is actually more of a pro (in 6 reviews)

• Also, commuting into Menlo Park once a week (I am usually at the SF office) is a pain that I suspect will disappear once the company grows a bit more (in 3 reviews)

1. "Amazing Technology"

Former Employee - Sales Masking Manager in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Masking Manager in Wayne, NJ

I worked at Delphix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology
    Excellent cooperative atmosphere

Cons

Long Sales Cycle
    Difficult to set up PoC's

Advice to Management

Shorten PoC cycle

"Account Executive"

I worked at Delphix full-time

Pros

Advanced technology for Dev Ops that customers adopt well.

Cons

Small market share not very well known brand.

Advice to Management

New CMO.

"Stay away Part 2"

Current Employee - Sales Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Delphix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

was a promising company
    Some nice people
    ok technology

Cons

Too many to list.
    Technology is hard to sell.
    Deployment process is a mess specially for my large accounts.
    Heard of bullying in the company .
    Management is shooting wildly in the dark.
    Sales "rockstar" was used as an escape goat for lack of revenue.
    Urging employees to post positive ratings on Glassdoor (Fake News!!).
    Both employees and Customers are concerned on how company performs and has been run despite "upward trend" reviews on Glassdoor. Customers are not dumb and can see through bogus reviews and shenanigans.

Advice to Management

Be honest and tell Customers and employees the truth.
    Do the right thing for everyone - the truth will set you free!
    Treat your employees with respect.
    Flush out bogus Managers.

"Happy Holidays .... You're Laid Off!"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Delphix full-time

Pros

- The technology is good for straightforward Oracle database virtualization.
    - My team mates and direct manager were very supportive.
    - Talented, top tier technical staff.
    - The CEO is genuine and the real deal.
    - Work from home is the norm for sales teams.

Cons

- Huge reduction in force right before the holidays. Terrible timing.
    - Don't believe the commission "accelerators". You'll be lucky to see a standard commission.
    - Sales cycle is lengthy.
    - Product messaging is complicated.
    - Technology doesn't work with NoSQL or Hadoop Big Data solutions.

Advice to Management

- Don't over hire. Right size.
    - Pay commissions on time and accurately.
    - Innovate the product to position for the future and avoid diminishing marketability.

"One of the most disorganised companies I have ever worked for! STAY AWAY!"

Former Employee - Sales in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Delphix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great pay when you actually get paid on time and correctly which is very rarely
    - Great benefits but that's only because nobody can be bothered checking anything so they just give you some stuff
    - Excellent work life balance because nobody can be bothered checking if you are working or not

Cons

- the company has less than no money: During new hire training they put me in a shared AirBnB with a very dangerous host in a VERY dangerous part of Menlo Park.
    - nobody cares: whenever I had a problem with anything and anybody and I tried to raise it with my manager I got told, "sorry I can't be bothered/have better things to do/go to this person instead" when I did so I still got the whole "we can't be
    - doesn't pay properly
    - no collaboration: nobody works together or communicates properly at all because nobody cares or believes in the company whatsoever
    - lack of seriousness: nobody takes their job seriously; sales reps either miss sales meetings of fall asleep in them. Nobody knows what is going on.
    - no upper management: they can't even afford to hire people in management
    - no sales structure: sales reps have no clue what is going on so try to get pre sales involves who have even less of a clue
    - lack of resources: can't even afford training resources
    - lack of funding: loosing millions of dollars every year due to the poor attitude of employees.
    - inconsistent sales quota: I asked many times for my sales quota
    - doesn't pay you properly: I pretty much never got paid properly throughout my time at Delphix.
    - no offices: aside from HQ in Silicon Valley and an office in Redwood City the company can't even afford offices so you have to "work from home" permanently without reimbursement for any office expenses etc.

Advice to Management

Start all over again if you want to be successful. If I was Chris Cook I would firstly ask for an organisational map of everybody in the company and try to see where people can be moved to. Then I would look to re hire and add more staff. If you couldn't afford to then how can you run a successful company? After this, you need to communicate and collaborate if you want to be successful. There are so many great tools that are designed to help you do this - GET RID OF SLACK and use tools like Salesforce and Google to accelerate the sales cycle and boost productivity. I really think you need to get partners involved sooner rather than later. Finally management needs to really get organised and structured and everybody needs to collaborate and communicate if you ever want to succeed?

6. "Excellent culture, top-rate software"

Current Employee - User Experience Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nicer than people I've worked with at other companies - we feel cohesive and all working towards a common goal. The environment is inclusive, respectful, and fun.

Cons

Only the usual continuous change that is typical in a start-up, but the change is better organized than other start-ups I've worked at.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring top performers.

"Stay Away..."

Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Sales in Remote, OR

I have been working at Delphix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is amazing technology that is a game changer for LARGE organizations.

Cons

Amateur leadership. Pre-Sales management is massively underqualified and everyone knows it. They are trying to right the ship on the sales side, but it may be too late. The product itself is amazing, but may not be viable enough to stand on its own --- it will not change the world.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at pre-sales management. Are they effective or just doing busy work to appear effective. Also, break down the silos that exist between sales/pre-sales. Sales cannot sell when pre-sales is not 100% on the mark.

"Growing pains, but positive overall - Engineering"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Delphix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the company has grown there have been some growing pains, but overall there is good momentum and a focus on internal growth.

From the side of the Engineering organization I feel that there is good room for personal and professional growth. This may not be the case for all areas of the company.

Cons

Amazing group of engineers and an impressive group of customers, but there are some growing pains as we transition from a start-up to a larger organization.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on internal development.

9. "Heading in the right direction"

I have been working at Delphix full-time

Pros

Great executive leadership in place. Technology has a clear cut advantage in its niche. A positive open culture has evolved under CEO Chris Cook. Most of the toxic legacy people , particularly those in sales management , are finally gone .

Cons

A handful of leftover legacy people are still resisting the culture shift from new leadership which is expected . Partner strategy has been challenging but theres a good plan in place moving forward.

Advice to Management

You have a great team in place , watch out for the legacy people that resist change. Trust the people you brought in to transform the company. Keep up the positive vibe through thick and thin .

"Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Delphix full-time

Pros

Amazing, smart people. Great work-life balance. Work can be interesting with a lot of variety.

Cons

Opportunities for career growth are unclear at best, but somewhat lacking outside of engineering. Some politics. Seems like company is going through a rough spot, but there have been a lot of senior leadership changes in the last few months, so there's hope they'll make it better.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Reward people more. Don't get rid of perks. Care about more than just the sales and engineering teams. Do something to show that you value your people.