Digital Turbine Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Digital Turbine Interview Questions

Interviews at Digital Turbine

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Durham, NC) in January 2018.

Interview

I was reached out to by one of their internal recruiters. Was given a technical assessment which consisted of two SQL problems and 1 programming problem.

After the technical assessment they scheduled an onsite interview. During the interview I first met the "sales team", then met with some of the current technical account managers, then with the VP, and last with whom would be my manager. Unlike a lot of the interviews I see here, everyone was prompt and on time.

During my interview with the VP, he searched news for my previous company and found a bad article, and he mentioned how the client at my previous company was considering terminating their contract. I found it to be a little bit weird, considering there is a ton of negative articles about DT Ignite from a consumer standpoint (But again, this company isn't focused primarily on the end user, just the carrier and the app creator). I realized after the interview that I probably didn't react to this question correctly.

Also it was mentioned during the interview that a new employee left the company after less than a week in the position that I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• What is the command to see a list of processes on Linux?   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Interview

Came in and met with different staff on a variety of teams. All in all the questions they asked seemed arbitrary/disorganized and the schedule of who I was to speak with was not followed.

The critical reviews of the company presented here seem to make sense given my experience.

Interview Questions

• 1) Do you have any experience writing SQL queries?
      2) Have you used different databases?   1 Answer

Feb 9, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for providing us feedback on the TAM interview experience. It sounds like there might have been some last minute changes due to schedule conflicts. Unfortunately these things do happen as... More

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

Interview

First had a phone interview, than a technical assessment, and finally a round robin of interviews with different teams, to see if I would be a good fit. Then there was about a week wait process before hearing any feedback

Interview Questions

Digital Turbine Response

Apr 9, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the interview process. We are always looking to improve on what we do so your feedback is always helpful.

Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied and received call 3 days later. Had phone interview with Director and invited for in-person interview. In-person interview was not regarding position I had initially applied for. I interviewed with the same person I had the telephone interview with. Initially told me that they had already hired someone for the Reporting Analyst position and then attempted to sell me on Administrative positions. I left with the promise they would be in touch with me and to-date have heard nothing.

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Durham, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

There are technical and cultural aspects to the interview. On my team, we want to make sure we have technically savvy Java developers who are good at problem solving. Know your stuff, but remember it is okay to admit not knowing something! The interview process may take 3-4 hours, but there are several groups, and we recognize we only have 30-45 minutes to assess if you can do the job and if you will fit with the team.

Interview Questions

• There are technical questions about the Java language and white board exercises.   Answer Question

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in July 2014.

Interview

The interview process was done almost entirely over the phone (with one Skype call), until they finally convinced me that the company was worth joining; they then flew me out to meet the CEO in California in a very well run process.

Interview Questions

• How to solve their software devops problem (most questions were generalized, as none of the interviewers had a strong technical or product lifecycle background).   Answer Question

Jan 7, 2019 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your interview process back in 2014. We have added more structure , organization, and process overall to the Interview since 2014. We strive to... More

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and was contacted by an internal and remote recruiter from their NC office 2 weeks later. The recruiter told me that the job was 50% software QA, and 50% telephone support with customers. The entire interview process, from beginning to end, was severely disorganized, sloppy and misleading, and I became so irritated with it that I withdrew before receiving a decision.

1. A Skype pre-screen interview with the "hiring manager from the Austin, TX office" was scheduled, by this recruiter. I wondered why a Skype interview was requested since I was actually local to the hiring manager. At the Skype interview, I learned that the recruiter had been wrong about most everything. The interview was not with the hiring manager, but with a peer level employee at their NC office. And the job had nothing to do with telephone support. I guess I "passed" this pre-screen, to proceed to the next level.

2. The internal recruiter then scheduled an on-site interview for a week later, but this was also handled poorly, and strangely. First, I was told that I would have to park my car on the street and couldn't use the employee parking area. Anyone familiar with downtown Austin, which is where the office was located, knows that parking is a huge problem and finding street parking outside of a specific building would be next to impossible. This was a red flag. Allowing me to park in the designated employee parking, and then validating that parking, was the appropriate expectation. I ended up having to park blocks away, then hoof it back to the interview site. Nothing like sweating under a suit...

3. I was also told by the recruiter that I had to "bring my own personal laptop" to the interview, because I would be using "Google Hangouts" to video conference with the off shore hiring manager, and some other remote staff from their NC office, during my on-site interview time. I couldn't believe I was being told to bring my own laptop for this. This was a red flag. What kind of company can't even provide video conference equipment needed for their own interview process? When I clarified the request for me to bring a laptop, the recruiter replied "That's not a problem, is it?"

4. The recruiter then provided a name for an administrative office staff person, who would greet me when I arrived on site, then set me up on the company's WIFI with my laptop, in a conference room. When i arrived onsite to the tiny open-space work area with no lobby, this office staff person apparently had the day off. No one greeted me at all. I sat in a chair for 15 min past the interview time, wondering who the heck I was supposed to hunt down to get this thing started. Another red flag. I was eventually approached by one of the interviewers, from development. He escorted me to the interview room.

5. The last 30 minutes of this interview was supposed to be the video conference that I was supplying the hardware for. I tried for 30 minutes to connect to the hiring manager, and wasn't successful. This was because, as I learned a couple of hours later, the manager cancelled this video conference due to a "client issue", and he cancelled it before I ever showed up onsite. The recruiter failed to pass this news onto me. I took time off of my current job to complete the interview process, and it could not be completed. This was a waste of my professional time

6. The recruiter rescheduled that video conference w/ the hiring mgr for 3 days in the future, via Skype. . At this rescheduled Skype call, the hiring manager still never bothered to show up. Red flag. Where was the manager responsible for hiring this position? I took time off of my current job (again) to participate in this video conference to interview with the hiring manager. This was a waste of my professional time.

7. After this concluded, I emailed the recruiter to learn if the interview was over or not, since the hiring manager has not yet met me. I waited 4 days for a response. The eventual response was that the interview process was finally "over", that the hiring manager had for some unknown reason decided not to participate in his own interview process, and that the feedback she received from my onsite interview was "very positive". Red flag. I was amazed that the process was over without my even meeting the manager. Meeting your potential manager is crucial - what if I don't like him/her?

8. Since this interview process was severely bungled and time consuming, I at least expected a final decision very quickly. Not gonna happen. The recruiter informed me that they still had a long line of additional candidates to interview. Since there were red flags all over the place, it made sense to withdraw and pursue other opportunities.

To my knowledge, they have still not filled this position to this day. No surprise.

Interview Questions

Digital Turbine Response

Sep 8, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for providing the positive feedback on your candidate experience. We pride ourselves on trying to give you that personal touch via the phone instead of email. We also try to organize our... More

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

The first interview was with their talent acquisition lady. She was nice. Then there were some Skype interviews with other QAs and a PM. Finally, they asked me to come into their Austin office.

They had a pretentious-looking office, and one of the developers who interviewed me (him and a DevOps guy) was a major elitist. I didn't bother to remember his name, but he had a European accent.

It seemed like everyone at the company was fine with giving me the job I applied for. It wasn't even a senior QAE or anything like that... just a simple analyst. I'm sure I would have ended up contributing to the CI Admin, auto scripted testing, and config management anyway... but on paper it was just an analyst role.

This developer interviewed me almost as if it were a development position. He went through my whole resume trying to play 'gotcha', and I feel like I got 80% of his questions right, but the 20% I was unclear about without the internet, which I understand most offices have, he let that stick out in his mind and bias him against me.

I guess he felt my resume was a little pretentious... He didn't seem to differentiate between 'user' skill level and 'admin' skill level. Clearly in his book, you're either admin or nothing. My career spans ten years, and some of my experience is not recent. Doesn't mean I couldn't bring myself back up to speed again, but this dude was quizzing me on stuff I hadn't done in years.

Not that it's really necessary for a QA role, but no, I probably couldn't pass a comprehensive quiz on puppet or ansible. I once inherited a Bamboo agent cluster that was dependent upon puppet for file sync and config/dependency management, for purposes of maintaining various test environments... So I learned how to edit puppet manifests to the extent that I had to. Have I ever implemented puppet start to finish? No. Sorry I'm not that l33t, dude. No reason to hate.

Ansible, it's the same thing. I've contributed to a playbook before, but so did everyone else. By the end of the project, it's this 22-headed monster that everyone had their hand in. That's what it's like to work on a professional team. I could tell this guy's ego was too big for that.

Ultimately, I'm really happy I don't have to work with someone like that. A real JP. from 'Grandma's Boy'. A stereotype of a cocky developer, who was truly a jerk. Ew. Glad I don't have to reopen his bugs. Seems like he would get really exasperated.

Interview Questions

• They asked about branches, tags , and trunk in Apache SubVersioN, which their company doesn't even use.   Answer Question

Aug 3, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to provide us some feedback on your candidate experience. I am sorry that your experience was not a positive one. I will say that we do have many talented individuals... More

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online thru LinkedIn and a recruiter reached out to me within 3 days for a 30min phone screen. Asked about my previous experience and asked some basic behavioral questions. Called back within an hour to schedule an onsite interview the following day. I met with three senior guys in back-to-back 30min sessions. The first interviewer asked me about my previous experience (similar to the initial phone screen). Second asked me behavioral questions (culture fit interview), third asked me detailed technical questions about Android app dev, DB scripting, command line knowledge etc. Recruiter followed up that day to schedule a final phone screen with an account manager who asked more behavioral questions. Offer received within a day of final interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with Android development?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your experience working with databases.   1 Answer
    • How do you handle rude customers?   1 Answer

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Digital Turbine (Austin, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online through LinkedIn and received a call about a day or so later. Spoke with the recruiter and was then passed along to have a phone interview with the manager. Got a call same day to come in for an onsite interview later on during the week followed by an additional phone interview. The entire interview from start to finish was around a week and a half. Did not receive an offer unfortunately but it was refreshing that I received a call from the recruiter with feedback letting me know. She said she would keep me in mind for any future positions that opened up which was nice of her. Only suggestion would be parking since downtown can get a little hectic.

Interview Questions

Digital Turbine Response

Aug 3, 2017 – HR Director