Dollar Shave Club Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Dollar Shave Club Interview Questions

Interviews at Dollar Shave Club

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Had two phone interviews and then was invited for on-site interviews. The day consisted of eight back-to-back interviews (even over lunch). Despite the organized scheduling of interviews, meeting with eight different people is ludicrous for even Silicon Valley standards. Once I met the director of engineering, it made sense why they depend on so many interviews. After communicating more with the director and getting an offer, I decided the manager isn't someone I'd want to work with and declined. The current engineers seemed like intelligent and ambitious folks though.

Interview Questions

• Design an e-commerce website   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club in November 2017.

Interview

I had seen in Glassdoor that the Interview Experience with DSC was bad, and unfortunately my experience was truly negative which led me to add my experience to Glassdoor as well in hopes that the Company decides to tackle this problem proactively.

I applied online and got an e-mail to schedule an interview with a recruiter. I was told I would be speaking to either recruiter A or recruiter B. The day of the phone screen I got an e-mail letting me know that a surprise meeting came up and we would have to re-schedule the phone screen, which I had no problem with. However I received an e-mail letting me know that recruiter A would be out of the office all throughout the next week, so my phone screen was scheduled 2 weeks from that day. I wrote an e-mail to politely ask if there was any chance I could speak to recruiter B instead to make the wait shorter, but did not get a reply.

After the two weeks I sent an e-mail the day of the interview to confirm the interview and was told that recruiter A was sick and so my phone screen had to be re-scheduled. I was obviously already a little upset and let them know I had other interviews to schedule (which was actually true!), but I could receive the call on either Monday or Tuesday during the morning. I get back an e-mail letting me know that my phone screen was scheduled on Monday afternoon, wondering whether they were paying any attention to my needs and if they cared at all.

I finally took the phone screen on Monday afternoon with recruiter A, with no apologies whatsoever and with a completely neutral attitude with no interest at all (granted a recruiter doesn't have to be excited or happy during the call, but after several other phone screens with recruiters from different companies this was the only one that stood out as negative). I was asked a couple of questions about myself and my experience, and they let me know I would be receiving news on Wednesday.

I didn't get any news on Wednesday and had pretty much already made my mind up I wasn't really interested in working for them, but I decided to send them e-mails to at least get closure, and so I did. After three follow-up e-mails and already week later I finally got a rejection e-mail, glad that the process was over.

I don't believe everyone's experience is going to be terrible, maybe I just ran into really bad luck, but after reading plenty of more negative experiences on their hiring process I really hope the Company decides to take some action and do something about it.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions, only to talk about myself and my experience.   1 Answer

Nov 21, 2017 – VP Recruiting & Talent

Hi, thank you for your review. We're really sorry to read about your experience. Rest assured, we're doing everything we can to better the experience for all of our candidates and we would love to... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club.

Interview

I applied for a software engineering position, and a recruiter contacted me to schedule an interview. When the date came, I sat by my phone and waited for the call. Approximately 30 minutes after the call was supposed to take place, another recruiter contacted me to tell me that the first recruiter I was supposed to speak with is out sick, so they'll reschedule. I was never contacted again. There's another similar review on this page where the reviewer states that "maybe I just ran into bad luck" but my story is fairly similar in substance to theirs so... I do hope DSC can resolve this problem or something. It's pretty bad.

Jan 16, 2018 – VP Recruiting & Talent

Hello, I'm really sorry to hear about your negative experience while interviewing with us. I'd love to find out what happened and take the opportunity to find ways to improve the process. Please, can... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quick phone call with recruiter, then Skype call with an engineer. Recruiter followed up 5 days later telling me that they weren't going to move forward. Phone call consisted of architecture / coding / design questions and they require you to code a web app from scratch. Would've been a much more enjoyable experience if the recruiter had prepared me for an unconventional interview process.

Interview Questions

• Not going to get into a specific question, but they asked me to write a web app to do something. This isn't something I've ever had to do before in a remote interview so I asked the interviewer what he meant by that. He told me to share my screen on Skype and write a web app from scratch which solves a certain problem. After that he asked some architecture / scaling questions.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

By far the worst, worst HR experience of my life. I initially spoke to a recruiter. She was nice but driving and clearly distracted. She was also a bit unprofessional. We set up a phone interview with an engineer for a few weeks in the future. I did the phone screen and it went very well. The frontend engineer I spoke to was very knowledgable and I really liked him. I knew I crushed it but didn't hear back for a month. Out of the blue, a different recruiter calls me one day. He was brusque but apologized for the delay and wanted to setup an onsite interview. We talked through some dates and right before he hung up he demanded a salary requirement from me. I told him I hadn't heard from them in a month and taking the job would require me to relocate across the country, so I wasn't really prepared to have that conversation. He pinned me down anyway and when I threw out a number he basically laughed at me and hung up. Never heard from them again. What a joke. I can't imagine working for a company that treats people like that.

Interview Questions

Dollar Shave Club Response

Nov 21, 2017 – VP Recruiting & Talent

Hi there. We're very sorry for the late follow up to your review. Based on the timeline of your review we believe that was during a time of transition of recruiters on the team. Regardless, the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marina del Rey, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Marina del Rey, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

I responded to a message from the recruiter from a networking site. He scheduled me for a phone interview right away. I got a calendar invitation for a 30 minute interview so, figuring we might go a little over time, I blocked off only an hour of my time. When the actual phone screen happened, the interviewer continued past the 30 minutes, but we were not quite done with the question and I still had time so I held off on saying anything. Once we reached the 1 hour mark, I had to excuse myself for other commitments. There was a big gap in expectations and communication between the reruiter, scheduler, and the interviewer, and then between them and me. If you get a phone screen with them, definitely clarify how much time you have with the scheduler before the interview and then with the interviewer during the fact. All I got from them was radio silence after the fact so I'm taking that as a no.

Interview Questions

• A question about app architecture with some scaling concerns.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter. Video call with hiring manager, involves coding. Onsite with 6 people, about half of them from varying but related departments. The room they had me interview in was tiny, cramped and dim. Rest of the office is pretty, though. There is whiteboarding involved in the onsite, mostly system design. No definite structure to the whiteboarding portion. It felt like the interviewer was just coming up with questions as we went. Pair programming related to the role. Lunch with hiring manager.

Communications with the recruiting team was poor. Messages are obviously boilerplate. They won't respond to any of your messages or inquiries. They only give you updates about what stage you are in, and even then they're automated. This lack of communication hurt me. They scheduled my onsite interview for a date and time that I did not tell them I was available for. Just went ahead and forced me to come on that date without consulting with me for additional schedules. Tried to ask them what to expect in the onsite interview, no response.

Recruiter told me I would hear back in a "few days". This was a lie. Never heard back from the recruiter, even after telling them I had another offer on hand. Just brushed me off.

IT Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club in January 2017.

Interview

Asked about my technical background, didn't ask much technical stuff. Got me to the last in person interview and then they called me day of to let me know not to come in because hey filled the spot. Startups aren't reliable .

Interview Questions

Dollar Shave Club Response

Nov 21, 2017 – VP Recruiting & Talent

Hi there. Sorry for the delayed follow up to your review. Sorry you didn't have a great experience while interviewing with us but we do hope you landed a great job somewhere since then.

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Marina del Rey, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Marina del Rey, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Two calls and one onsite interview.

I had a very pleasant feeling about the interview.

I was speaking with design director, product owner, UX designer and Head of design. I spent like 4 hours for the whole interview. No hidden questions, just open conversations about my vision of design and what inspire me, and what my background is.

Office space is crazy awesome; everyone is friendly and funny, very relaxing atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• What brand have an influence on you and why?
      Questions about experience and what drive me in designs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marina del Rey, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Dollar Shave Club (Marina del Rey, CA).

Interview

Friendly conversations for each part of the process, but once you get to onsite, take things with a grain of salt. I felt very welcome here and things went great, but afterwards, I was told there was no offer and there wasn't a good explanation why. I asked for more details beyond the vague answer and no response. Thanks a lot. Waste of time, energy, and hope.