EMBL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

EMBL Interview Questions

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in June 2017.

Interview

First Skype interview, then they paid me a flight to Heidelberg, I was invited to give a 40 minute talk on my current research, then 1:1 interviews with the research group members. the interview included questions from my presentation talk and they asked to see some of my code

Interview Questions

• what is lapply ? can I see some of your code? what is the difference between object and class   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in July 2016.

Interview

The first step is an online application, which covers basically every aspect of your scientific career so far, and your prospects on it. Then you hear about its results in approx. one month. If you get called for the interviews, these would in another 2 months away.

For the first day of the in-campus interviews, you would participate in the initial assessment admission (IAA) panel exam. In essence it's 5 group leaders in a room, where each of the candidates go in alone and get asked questions. For this, they first ask you about a project you did before, and then they build up from that basic molecular biology questions. For instance, I was asked 'What is DNA?', and then I was asked about the nucleosome structures, why I think there was no uracil in DNA, how many molecules of water there were in a bottle of water next to a group leader etc. It is pretty random, but nothing extremely hard. They're nice people in general.

The second/third days are reserved for one-on-one interviews with group leaders, where you try to convince them you're a good fit for their lab and an intelligent human being. You should also visit the labs to talk with the people.

Interview Questions

• Random questions on molecular biology.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in May 2016.

Interview

I was required to first meet the HR to submit the reimbursement documents such as the receipts of flight and train tickets, etc. After that, I was asked to deliver a 1-hour seminar (45 minute of presentation and 15 minutes of discussion). I then talked to the group leader and the scientists from a company collaborating with the lab on the project I am going to carry out. During the lunch time, I talked to a couple of team members. Finally, I met the HR again. He told me information such as the conditions and benefits of the job offer. The whole process is not very stressful. All the people I met are friendly and informative.

Scientific Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMBL (Hamburg (Germany)).

Interview

A full day of interviews, one committee panel and several individual interviews. The interview was not difficult, more time consuming as it lasted for the entire work day with a lunch break. There were 4 candidates interviewed at the same day and we did rotations with the interview panel and additional interviewers.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a one day interview. First with the panel of 4 members belonging to the research group. And then separately with all of them. One HR interview explaining salary packages. And also with some group members of their team. During panel interview i have to tell about my background and research experience. Other interviews were like a formal conversation sessions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to do a research technician job instead of a PhD.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)).

Interview

1. Online application
    2. Skype interview with one group leader
    3. 20 minute oral exam with a panel of group leaders
    4. One week of on-site interviews with group leaders and other staff

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had unlimited research funding?   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMBL in September 2014.

Interview

I received an email asking to arrange a skype interview. I was interviewed by 2 post doctoral researchers (with whom the intern would be working) and was asked fairly easy questions about my research background, my interest in the project and my knowledge about certain lab techniques. In the end I did not get the position but it was a nice experience.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EMBL (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Interview processes is very thorough, it consists of a three consecutive days long process where you are interviewed initially by an independent panel and after, if successful, by the potential employers. Throughout this period you get to meet several of Predoctoral fellows from most of the research groups and all the group leaders hiring on the that selection.

Visiting Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in July 2013.

Interview

Technical and specific. Mostly to check compatibility with the project I will be working on. I was also quizzed on my previous research project relevant to the one in which I was being offered a position.

Early Stage Researcher (PhD Fellow) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in February 2013.

Interview

A 20 min panel interview followed by two days of one-on-one interviews with group leaders. Panel interview was on general biological knowledge, one-on-one interviews vary according to your previous work experience and educational background. You can express your preference which group leader to work with, and are given an offer on Friday the same week.