EMBL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at EMBL

2.9

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in December 2012.

Interview

Four interviews with different pannels, not easy, but not difficult. The panels where very kind in general but they go straight to the point. Just be yourself and they will catch you if you lied in your CV. First you have to pay for the trip and then, they reimburse you the money, it was a 3-days trip for me, 1 day before, the day of the interview and I left the day after. HR people really kind and helpful.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMBL in September 2014.

Interview

I received an email asking to arrange a skype interview. I was interviewed by 2 post doctoral researchers (with whom the intern would be working) and was asked fairly easy questions about my research background, my interest in the project and my knowledge about certain lab techniques. In the end I did not get the position but it was a nice experience.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in June 2017.

Interview

First Skype then interview with the group leader, with every member in the group and finally with the secretary preceded by a 40 minute talk about my current research. First Skype then interview with the group leader, with every member in the group and finally with the secretary preceded by a 40 minute talk about my current research.

Interview Questions

• secretary: why did you choose EMBL ?
      Group leader : Few questions about coding and statistics
      Group members : all were very nice the didn't have questions so they asked me to ask them   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in June 2017.

Interview

First Skype interview, then they paid me a flight to Heidelberg, I was invited to give a 40 minute talk on my current research, then 1:1 interviews with the research group members. the interview included questions from my presentation talk and they asked to see some of my code

Interview Questions

• what is lapply ? can I see some of your code? what is the difference between object and class   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at EMBL (Rome (Italy)) in September 2010.

Interview

depended entirely on group leader... one-to-one matching process according to needs of the host research group and it was entirely conducted on phone. career ambitions were probed and basic inquisitiveness in what they did.. on the whole short and to the point..

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at EMBL (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)).

Interview

initial skype telephonic interview followed by long 3 hour face-2-face interview. there is a test in the face-2-face and panel interview and team meet. lunch break in the middle. Very friendly people.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at EMBL in July 2017.

Interview

First, they sent me an email with a programming assignment to complete within 3 days.
    It contained 5 basic tasks and 2 extra tasks. Those were to complete a complete assignment related to a considerably a good algorithm problem.

I was supposed to write a Java 8 Maven project along with a TestNG test suite.
    And the additional task wanted me to implement a simple web service to run my algorithm as well.

I completed the basic 5 tasks and one additional tasks and sent the solution on time. And I'm condifent that my solution is correct!

After a few days, I got an email saying that I didn't quality without any reason or comments. So I requested the reasons why I got rejected and the evaluation criteria. But the replied back saying that they can't provide any information.

"Unfortunately we are not able to provide further feedback at this stage, but please be aware that both your experience and technical test results were taken into account when shortlisting for this position."

It sounded like they didn't prioritize my solution over my solution. If the evaluation considered my experience (which I anyway had), why would they send me the assignment in the first place?

It seems, they have sent out the assignment to multiple people at once and rejected.

Interview Questions

• Programming task to implement an algorithm to group numbers according to some features.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)) in May 2011.

Interview

Total interview was for three days consisting written test about the area of research plus general biology questions, followed by a panel interview or say talk/ presentation, and finally personal interview with group leaders.

Interview Questions

• very technical orientated questions, in my case, many questions about DNA Sequencing, cell biology.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at EMBL (Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg (Germany)).

Interview

1. Online application
    2. Skype interview with one group leader
    3. 20 minute oral exam with a panel of group leaders
    4. One week of on-site interviews with group leaders and other staff

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had unlimited research funding?   Answer Question

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at EMBL (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2013.

Interview

Interview processes is very thorough, it consists of a three consecutive days long process where you are interviewed initially by an independent panel and after, if successful, by the potential employers. Throughout this period you get to meet several of Predoctoral fellows from most of the research groups and all the group leaders hiring on the that selection.