ESC Region XIII Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at ESC Region XIII

Education Specialist: Instructional Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ESC Region XIII (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I categorized the interview as “difficult” not because of the content of the questions, but because of all the last minute preparations involved/demanded by the employer.

I applied online for the Education Specialist: Instructional Coach in Science/Math position on 6/29/15. It was a very long online application and after two weeks I assumed I was passed up for the interview process. I got a call on 7/21/15 around 1:00pm asking if I would be able to interview the next day (7/22/15) at 11:00am. I jumped on it because I really wanted this job and I was fully qualified. I figured I had plenty of time to go over my standard questions before the interview. Nope. I was asked to do a homework assignment (an “advanced task”) and bring my portfolio and/or a presentation to the interview. Great, so now I had less than 24 hours to complete the assigned task, double check/update the portfolio, create a presentation, and make sure all other documents were ready in time.

I prepared for the interview and was excited to showcase my 14 years of experience in the field. I interviewed with a panel of three women. One was a coach and the other two were different supervisors. They had a very long list of standard questions. Many of them pertained to example scenarios and how you would approach the situation as a coach.

I felt I was able to answer them all very well until they picked apart my resume. They asked how could I be prepared for this job when I hadn't been in the classroom for eight years. I tried not to laugh out loud at that question. It was clear to me that they hadn't actually taken the time to read through my resume. I pointed out that I was busy getting my Master's Degree in SPED, working for UT, a special education publisher, lobbying for an educational non-profit, and starting my own private tutoring business in the interim. I felt that I hadn't left education at all and tried to explain that to them. They didn't seem impressed or my answer just wasn't good enough for them. I didn't feel that one went over well.

Once I started asking specific questions about the position and the culture of the center, I started to lose my enthusiasm for the position. The coach described the job as a “road warrior” position and that you rarely ever see your colleagues or even come into the office. You are constantly working around the teachers' schedules and working out of your car. This did not appeal to me at all and I don't understand how positions like these can't be virtual/remote at least half of the time.

After my final questions were answered, I handed over my flash drive that included my portfolio and presentation. While they looked over my work, I was given another assignment to complete within 30 minutes. It was another example scenario and how you would approach the situation as a coach. I finished the assignment quickly and was told that the committee would contact me the week before school started. The entire interview process, including extra assignment, took about 75 minutes.

I got so busy with my continued job search that I didn't realize that the first week of school came and went without a single phone call or email from these people. (The first day of school was 8/24/15.) This means the entire process took two months and they couldn't even bother to send some mass email to let applicants know the positions was filled. I consider that to be extremely rude and unprofessional. (I've seen large universities and even small non-profits have the courtesy to send emails to applicants.) I find that even more insulting after all the last minute work I was expected to do for the interview.

Based on this experience, I am no longer interested in working for the service center. If this is the way they treat potential employees, I can only imagine how actual employees are treated. If applying here, make sure you have RECENT classroom experience. Recent in their definition means you were a classroom teacher or principal within in the last year. Anyone else, however qualified and experienced need not apply.

Interview Questions

• How could you be prepared for this job when you haven't been in the classroom for [X number of] years?   Answer Question
    • Maybe the principal is forcing a teacher to be coached and the teacher doesn't find it necessary. The teacher does not respond to any communication and is openly hostile to you. How would you handle a situation where the teacher openly ignores you and does not want to be coached?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a situation where the student has [specific special need]? How would you differentiate the instruction?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between formative and summative evaluation?   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between modification and accommodation?   Answer Question

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ESC Region XIII (Austin, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

The time between applying and getting an interview was shorter than most places I have applied. I think I called a week later and was able to schedule an interview. I was interviewed by a panel of three people from my future team. I think from application to hiring it was less than two months.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty typical. I think they appreciated me talking a little about myself outside of work. They are interested in your values and what part you would play on the team.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation phase. I was thrilled to get the job.