English Program in Korea Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.3

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Providence, RI) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied on the first day their applications opened and heard back a few weeks later seeking to schedule an interview. Keep in mind when you input your availability, the time slots are in KOREAN time, so make the adjustments before you submit. I prepared my answers for common questions in advance, bought a webcam with reliable sound, and wore a blazer. Th interviewer spoke to me briefly on the webcam and then asked to turn off the cameras because his eyes were hurting? I got the feeling I was the 100th person he had talked to that day. It's kind of hard to make yourself stand out with that kind of response, but I remained professional, answered all the questions with references back to my experience. It was short, to-the-point, and I got the job. I get the feeling the positions are offered on more of a first-come-first serve basis, instead of based on credentials.

Interview Questions

• What would your husband (dependent) be doing during the school days?   1 Answer
    • What is your teaching philosophy?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

It was an comfortable interview via Skype. The interviewer was open and easy going. They had asked a few questions and then asked for any questions from the applicant.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

SImple phone interview about background and ability to adjust to being in a new country with conservative values. There is a FBI background check and a long notarization process, depending on where your from.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was really telling " How have you adjusted to new environments and new people?" and "have you worked with people outside of your comfort zone"   Answer Question

EPIK Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Newton, MA) in May 2014.

Interview

After applying online the consulate called me to set up an interview at their Boston offices. We (two consuls plus me) talked for ~30min; the conversation was very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• The normal fare--the interviewer even told me at one point that she was just asking certain Qs (what are your hobbies, have you ever had Korean food, how do you feel about rural areas) to gather whether I would be culturally adaptable etc.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

Apply through a recruiter. They will ask you for a FBI check, your diploma, and a resume with picture. Nowadays they also ask for TEFL certification with in class experience. One those things are submitted, you will have interviews with schools. They will ask your basic questions about teaching and moving to Korea. Once that is complete you basically have the job. Its up to you to decide where you want to teach.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your students are misbehaving?
      Why do you want to move to Korea?
      What is your teaching experience background?   Answer Question

Guest English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy and they didn't ask any particularly difficult questions. My interviewer made a video call via Skype and asked most of the basic interview questions (why do you want to work for EPIK, how does your previous experience or background help you). For the remainder of the interview, the recruiter described the job duties as well as explained the rest of the application process. The recruiter also gave me some feedback on the sample lesson plan that we submitted in the application.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with students who cause problems in the class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2014.

Interview

Apply online. wait. Get a Skype interview. pass it, and scurry for a couple months getting background checks, official transcripts apostilled. Glassdoor wants me to write more words. I dunno what else to say. Apply online and you'll get an interview, unless you don't have a college degree or something.

Interview Questions

• They ask if you if you've started gathering the papers, I lied and said I did, but he knew I was lying. Still got the job tho. They asked me about the online TEFL course and what i was learning in it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Arlington, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview is a very standard interview on Skype. I have heard of others who did not do well in the interview process, but you should always prepare for interviews. I think many people fail to actually look up what it takes to be an English teacher and just want to go do it so they can explore a new country. While that is all great and dandy, I believe you should have some sort of interest in Education or at least children because that is whom you will be teaching. If you don't like young kids, or you have trouble speaking in front of others teaching may not be the path for you. Of course you could go through the whole process because you want to push yourself and change which is very commendable, but I have heard of people quitting because it was too tough on them. I would suggest doing some sort of presentation/toast makers class first to see if you can really handle the pressures of being in front of a room of eyes all on you.

Tips: Also remember during your interview that they can see you because you are on video. So do try your best to make eye contact and not be preoccupied on your phone or trying to look at notes. If you feel you need notes for something you can make small one's and place them around the the top of your computer or where you camera is so that it looks like you are still looking at them. Be sure to place your camera a bit higher so that you are not looking down, but looking slightly up. It looks much better and of course good lighting and clothing is a plus. You want to look like you cared enough to do the interview in the first place.

Interview Questions

• What does EPIK stand for?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to teach English in Korea?   1 Answer
    • Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea.

Interview

I found the job, being sparked by getting laid off from my previous job and since I had experienced teaching English aboard when I was in high school, while searching around online for new employment. Everything I found about teaching English arboad, online, said South Korea was the place to go. Best living, highest pay with no teaching experience, most 'western' besides Japan, etc... So, with the consent of my wife, (who also was so fed up with her job, she wanted a change as well) we began a several week long stent in researching Korea, reading blogs from other teachers, online testimonies, and ended up finding a few friends and acquaintances that actually had been to South Korea and everything pointed to "YES." The big question now was public or private schools. Since we were going as a couple, we really decided the security of the public schools would be the best. We found EPIK as the main contact for securing a job with the public school system and emailed them.

The application process was incredibly intense. Starting with an initial questionnaire with basic questions and email correspondence. We were then sent a full application which I believe was over 10 pages, including an essay, extensive questions about our backgrounds, passport photos, and more. After spending hours and hours completing this, we waited for several weeks until their specified date to hear back. We found we passed that initial application process and they sent us a list of items we had to obtain before another set date. This included apostille affixed diploma, sealed college transcripts, FBI background check, a SECOND fully filled out application, original letters of recommendation, a copy of our passports, and we had to take a 120+ hour TESOL class online and gain the certificate for that. After completing all of that, which took several hundred dollars and countless hours, we had to pass a Skype interview from Korea... Which, we did after weeks of sleepless nights waiting to hear back. The questions we were asked were pretty generic for an interview. We then submitted all those documents by FedEx to Korea, another hundred bucks or so and then waited again. After another long period of time, we were sent a "letter of employment" stating that positions in South Korea were secured for us as well as a sample contract. We bought our plane tickets, which are somewhat reimbursed when you get your job, and then we waited to fly out. That is a much more emotional experience than I thought it was going to be...

Interview Questions

• There was really nothing unexpected about the interview questions. It was normal, "Have you ever smoked pot?" "No." "Do you know it gets really cold in Korea?" "Yes."   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase. You are given a position, you cannot choose where in Korea. Only if you want a "city" or "rural" area. Income is set, depending on your qualifications.

Anonymous Employee in Sierra Vista, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at English Program in Korea (Sierra Vista, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview process was thorough yet convenient. There was a multi level background check with a skype interview. The interviewer was polite and lasted for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What is your main motivation for wanting to teach with EPIK?   1 Answer