European Space Agency Interview Questions | Glassdoor

European Space Agency Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.2

YGT Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at European Space Agency.

Interview

First round of interviews with ESA takes place online, as an automated interview, lasting around 15 minutes. There is some time available to read the question, then 1-2 minutes to present your answer. Should you be accepted, you will be invited for a second round, in person, at the station for which you have applied.

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest regret so far?   1 Answer

Facilities Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at European Space Agency.

Interview

The interview was with 2 managers, it took an hour. There were not always standard questions, it was also focused at hands on experience and examples from my previous jobs (what I am proud of in my carreer, how did I react in some situations etc.). They tested me unexpectedly from Excel.

Interview Questions

• How did you rebuild this meeting room?
      What did you study-university, courses?
      Answer Question

Interview

After an application, an employer has contacted me to present the mission and to know if I was interested, there were no technical questions. The person was very nice and passionned about the mission

Young Graduate Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at European Space Agency in February 2016.

Interview

Recorded Video Interview - record and submit time-limited answers to five typed questions using an agency's web tool. No face to face conversation. Odd way of conveying information about yourself and difficult to do in a 'genuine' way when simply recording yourself. Questions were straight forward but strong presentation of answers felt the most difficult part.

Interview Questions

• Two questions relative to the position applied for, two personal and some time allowed for any other comments   Answer Question

ESOC YGT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darmstadt (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Darmstadt (Germany)) in April 2015.

Interview

The positions for the YGT are published in November of each year. If selected a telephone interview follows around February/march. This interview mainly focuses on the technical aspect of the position. The final round is at the job location, and includes group exercises and an second interview with the future supervisor.

Young Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Noordwijk aan Zee (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Noordwijk aan Zee (Netherlands)).

Interview

I have applied online. I have received a mail confirming I was selected for the interview. Only 4 candidates for each position are selected. I had the interview with the section manager who asked questions about my thesis project and in general about the development process. Questions were not too hard as the focus was on things that I actually worked with.

Interview Questions

• What is the technology you have developed for? What was the most difficult task to accomplish during the project? Why?   1 Answer

Young Graduate Trainee Interview, ESOC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darmstadt (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Darmstadt (Germany)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online late November and was first contacted at the end of January. Phone interview followed mid February with the invitation to the on-site interview being sent about 2 weeks after the phone interview. Interview in Darmstadt scheduled for mid March and the final verdict was sent mid May (but, as I understood, the successful candidate received the offer much earlier). 2 Persons were invited for each opening.Travel expenses were covered and a generous daily allowance for board, lodging and food was provided.

The on-site interview was a very pleasant experience. Everybody was extremely nice and they tried to make the process as stress-free as possible. Group exercise took place in the morning, followed by a guided tour through the premises and lunch at the company cantina that was actually pretty good.

Technical interviews followed in the afternoon. This was the weird part. The 1 hour interview took place with the head of department and an engineer and, while equally nice and hassle-free, was weird. First of all, the question were only partly related to the requirements of the position and some were quite obscure. Secondly, the interviewers were under some sort of possibly artificial time pressure, constantly checking their watches and the engineer asking the manager 'is there time for one more question?'. This was weird because at the beginning of the interview they took the time to explain, in some detail, what the department was actually doing. I did not have the feeling that the interview was prepared in detail by the staff or that it was geared towards actually determining how competent the applicants are or how well they would fit/perform during the time there.

Interview Questions

• The questions seemed off, as in not exactly relevant to the actual activities that were required of the candidate. For example asking about a very technical aspect about a technology that, as they mentioned during the interview, will not be used much during day to day activities while little or no questions were asked about the technologies that would actually be used extensively.   Answer Question

Flight Dynamics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Darmstadt (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Darmstadt (Germany)) in January 2015.

Interview

Contractor proposed candidates to ESA. To be proposed by the contractor you had to pass an online exam and then a phone screening interview. The contractor gave pre-interview training which lasted 4 days, although you were expected to complete a large number of practice questions beforehand. Interview involved being asked technical questions by a panel of flight dynamics engineers. Lasted about 45 minutes -1 hours. Questions were answered at a white board. Also asked about experience with programming languages and various details on CV.

Interview Questions

• You have a spacecraft which you want to hover near a comet. Assume the comet is ejecting material uniformly from its surface. Derive an expression for the force on the spacecraft.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Noordwijk, South Holland (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Noordwijk, South Holland (Netherlands)) in July 2013.

Interview

About 2h interview with a board of 4 persons. Two in your management-to-be, one from HHRR and one external.

The longest time is allocated to the your future management, then HR questions and only couple from the external person.

Interview Questions

• In my case a lot of technical questions, some of the deep into software, hardware skills.
      Some questions about project management
      Pretty common HR questions...nothing fancy or challenging here (e.g. where do you see yourself in X years)
      Answer Question

Young Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at European Space Agency (Rome (Italy)) in October 2012.

Interview

There was one person from HR and two from the section of the position. The first questions where personal, describe yourself, weaknesses, and so. Then they went straight to technical questions, mainly to assess how wide my knowledge in the field was, but most of them were quite general. Also about the knowledge of language and the time to start working.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of an innovative idea to use this system in the space field?   Answer Question