Exa Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Exa Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 6, 2017

2.7

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Exa Corporation (Livonia, MI) in May 2017.

Interview

I was called for an onsite interview. The interview consisted of a presentation and around 5 one on one sessions. I was converting to a fulltime position.The interview was relaxed and quite comfortable and I learned a lot about the position.

Interview Questions

• My experience at Exa while I was an intern and specific questions on presentation   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Exa Corporation in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online in February by emailing resume, cover letter and references directly to the company.

The HR department reached out to me three months later, in May, to schedule a half-hour preliminary/HR interview call. The scheduling was extremely unprofessional. The recruiter failed to call me at the scheduled time *twice*, and I had to reach out both times to them to reschedule. We finally connected on the third scheduled call.

The preliminary interview was straightforward. It was just a discussion of my qualifications and the details of the position I applied to. There were no behavioral traditional HR questions.

After the prelim interview, I was advanced to an hour-long technical interview on the phone. This was another relatively straightforward conversation about my background, though in greater technical detail than before. At the end of the interview, I was asked some object-oriented programming and algorithms quiz questions.

I felt that both the HR and technical interviews went well, and I was able to demonstrate my subject-matter knowledge in my answers. However the company completely ghosted me after the technical interview. I reached out twice to inquire about the next steps, express my interest and ask if I am still in consideration. I would have at least appreciated being told that they are moving on and looking at other candidates. What I got instead was complete radio silence.

Overall I felt that Exa's hiring process is incredibly unprofessional and frustrating. I will not be applying for any positions with this company in the future.

Interview Questions

• What are virtual functions?   Answer Question
    • Out of a set of million points in 2D cartesian space, how would you find the closest point to a given (x, y) coordinate?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Exa Corporation.

Interview

series of phone interviews with the recruiter and some management. Then one on site interview in Burlington, MA to meet a team of managers and professionals I would be working with/for

Interview Questions

• current salary, reasons for leaving current position, why I would be a good fit   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Exa Corporation in June 2016.

Interview

I was selected by the HR for further consideration by the Engineer Team. After approval, I had a Webex presentationl interview (a panel of two members) on one of my projects and a brief intro of myself.

After a week, I had a discussion with the HR regarding start dates , eligibility, offer and expected salary range.

Interview Questions

• I was asked of my experience in using CAD softwares.   1 Answer

Senior Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Exa Corporation (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very long and overwhelming experience. Took almost 6 months from the day of first screening call with HR. Very different and unique process. 2 HR along with 2 phone interview with my Manager followed by on-site interviews with 8 people in a day (thats why I mentioned overwhelming) followed by salary negotiation (that never happens at EXA) followed by offer letter.

Interview Questions

• What is 70 dB + 70 dB equal to?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Exa Corporation.

Interview

I saw the job post on a technical job site and applied, got a email from recruiter that they are reviewing. Couple of days after got a email from hiring manager about time for discussion about the position. The initial phone discussion/interview is about experience, technical background and some broader technical questions. Then I got a technical phone interview with one of the senior team member. This time it more question on data structures, algorithms and C++. After this on-site 1:1 interviews usually around 5 to 6 and couple demos about the product.

Interview Questions

• How to find a vertex or point is inside a tetrahedron (or pyramid)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exa Corporation (Burlington, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

I had an employee referral and got a phone call. The recruiter himself called me for an initial screening process. Then it was followed by Lunch Interview. After that I was contacted by the HR asking me some behavioral question. After couple of weeks I was called for an onsite interview at the Burlington head quarters in Boston. Initially asked to do a presentation and then I had interview with nearly 8 people on the same day back to back.

Interview Questions

• I interviewed for Heavy vehicles North America division. Some questions on Truck Aerodynamics   1 Answer

Thermal Applications Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Exa Corporation.

Interview

1 telephonic interview with Hiring Manager and one HR Interview
    Called onsite within 1 week. Started with a 1 hour seminar and then 7-8 back to back interviews. All interviewers were managers from various department. Questions are mostly based on your past research/work experience. Do study about the company background. The las interview with VP was unconventional. He asked my strong skills and weaknesses.

Physics Validation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Exa Corporation (Burlington, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied online. Had a call from the HR manager about availability details and some behavioral questions. Within a couple of days, got a call from the Hiring Manager. The phone interview lasted an hour with technical questions, and was encouraged to complete the unanswered and partially answered questions through email. Later invited onsite at HQ (Burlington, MA) for a day long interview starting with an hour long presentation about PhD research work. The day long process involved meeting at least 6 different people from the Physics R&D including Physicists, Mathematicians and senior researchers with engineering and software background.

Interview Questions

• 1) Hands on experience in interfacing between Numerical solver and visualization codes
      2) Knowledge of diverse in the numerical methods used for CFD   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Exa Corporation (Paris (France)) in November 2012.

Interview

Called for an interview 6 months after application, no HR involved but team leaders only. Very long interview (4+ hours) up to president. Good presentation of the company, salary not negotiable.