FAA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Sort:

Air Traffic Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Cleveland, OH) in July 2017.

Interview

Structured, everyone gets the same opportunity. There is basic questions that interviewers are instruction not to stray from. Study the position you want and ensure your able to fill 45 minutes of interview space because after the questions your the one speaking.

Interview Questions

• Basic Questions about the position   1 Answer

Air Traffic Control Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tamiami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Tamiami, FL).

Interview

College in an approved aviation program. Interview, security and medical clearance. Training and simulation at FAA Academy in Oklahoma City, OK. OJT at assigned facility.

Interview Questions

• You have to be able to watch a horrific crash and then continue working, because if you work in a tower long enough you will experience this. No one can take your place when this happens. If you can't do this you should consider another career.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Binghamton, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Binghamton, NY).

Interview

The interview process includes a psychiatric questionnaire, a drug test and a background check. All of this takes an inordinate amount of time. The interview itself is conducted by the local air traffic manager and isn't extremely important to the hiring process. It does help you get a feel for the job and the expectations if you are hired.

Interview Questions

• The actual interview isn't difficult nor is it really as important as passing the AT-SAT exam and making the hiring list. It's more of a formality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiations involved. If you're lucky enough to be offered a position, you will be told where you are going to work and expected to pay your own move to that location.

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FAA (Montgomery, AL) in December 2011.

Interview

I met with a gentleman who was the manager of the control tower facility nearest to me. It was a casual, friendly conversation, with many of the questions consisting how I handle pressure, times in my life where things didn't go my way, my hobbies, why I want to go into this field, etc. Post-interview communication went through FAA human resource specialists. Mine was very helpful in keeping my abreast of my application status.

Interview Questions

• Name a time working in the tower where you saw a potential conflict. How did you solve it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable.

Interview

Multi-step process consisted of psychological testing, in-person interview at nearest facility, followed by medical testing.

Interview Questions

• Questions were all generic, read off a paper.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiating. Just lots of waiting.

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at FAA.

Interview

No interview really. You just apply if you meet the requirements. They will send you an email in a few months. Then you have to take the ATSAT test. If you pass that and the Questionnaire they will send you a TOL to be followed by an FOL.

Interview Questions

Interview

Very arbitrary hiring process. Sometimes they will hire off the street. Other times they will require a degree in air traffic control from one of their designated colleges. If you do get placed on the hiring list, you might have to wait a very long time. Last time I checked, they weren't letting you pick a geographical area.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work a 24/7 schedule?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Dallas, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

The interview is the easy part. The other stuff to get to the interview is the tough part. Interview wasn't very long and ask general questions. As long you past all the test and questionnaire before the interview is the hard part.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be an air traffic controller?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Computer Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Oklahoma City, OK) in January 2016.

Interview

They said that they hadn't gotten my resume yet from HR, so they wanted me to verbally go over my resume. Talked about their organization and it's role in the FAA, work flow and culture. Then we had a few basic technical questions. Some of them were kind of random, but nothing especially tricky. They asked me to evaluate myself in several areas (technical, social, time management, etc.). We discussed personalities and made a little pop-culture small talk (since me and the two interviewers were roughly the same age). It was very relaxed and friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on function pointers?   1 Answer

Computer Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlantic City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FAA (Atlantic City, NJ) in June 2014.

Interview

The FAA did not have an interview process for interns. instead, they contact you and ask you are you interested in joining the FAA. Please ask for more information and ask about their work environment.