FSG Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 23, 2017

3.3

US Health Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at FSG (Boston, MA).

Interview

Initial phone interview, more phone case interviews, invitation to interview in Boston.

My sense was that FSG was not seriously looking to hire for this position, but maybe using the interview process to learn from candidates. FSG claimed it was hiring for US Health specific experience, but all the interview questions were generalist in nature.

The interview process asks a great deal of candidates, but because of their case style interview methods, candidates have almost no opportunity to ask their own questions and learn from the process. Hugely one-sided and helps FSG avoid having to answer harder questions about their own work and its impact.

Even if I had been offered the position, I likely would have declined. FSG's US Health team is weak in experience and in technical skills. This firm seems to have a consulting solutions toolkit that belongs to 15+ years ago, before data analysis/data science was ever increasingly important to innovation in healthcare. If you want to have real impact and contribute to creative and innovative solutions in healthcare, may be skip FSG.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your qualitative skills? (but they seemed to have an FSG specific idea of what's qualitative and they didn't care to define).   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FSG in May 2017.

Interview

They go by the book, aka what you've read here already. They know exactly what they're looking for, even though the interview was conversational.
    - Walk me through your resume
    - Why FSG?
    - Describe your use of quantitative analysis in one of your jobs (they look for this and they prefer people with actual consulting experience)
    - Sample case

Interview Questions

• When and how have you used quantitative data analysis for a work project or assignment? What was the outcome, insights and impact?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FSG (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The first interview was a 30 min phone call that included a short simple case (how would you go about prioritizing/gathering info, etc.)
    The second included 2 back to back hour long video conference interviews: 1 behavioral interview (w/ questions about FSG's theories of practice) & 1 case interview
    The third was in person and included an informal get-to-know you lunch interview, 2 written cases, and a presentation.

The third interview was a very long process. My "in person" cases were actually via video conference - i was given large ppt presentations of data... then the interviewers introduced the case, hung up for 45 min, and got back on the call to hear the final recommendations (which made it impossible to ask questions). I asked one of the interviewers for feedback after a case and she responded that they "were not allowed to give feedback"

Overall, everyone was very nice - but I wish that FSG provided some info about what they were looking for in the cases (especially the written cases, whereas other companies usually provide guidance, samples, etc.).
    As someone who was new to consulting cases, it would have been very appreciated, especially after getting to round 3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FSG (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

Two weeks after applying online, I got an email scheduling a first round interview with an FSG team member. The conversation was in 4 parts: hearing about the interviewer's background and work at FSG, giving an overview of my work experience and why it would be a good fit for FSG, discussing a case study, and other questions.

Interview Questions

• The case study asked how you would work with a new foundation in identifying community priorities and talk about your process for identifying a list of individuals that you would want to interview on your first visit to the site. Part II asks you to walkthrough your decision-making as you winnow down from three potential topics.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FSG (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and heard back after about a week and a half. The interview process consisted of one phone interviews, one Skype interview and an in person interview. The first interview was rather straightforward as a standard phone interview with personality questions and your understanding of the firm's work, ideas and your work experience followed by a short case study demonstrating the type of work they do. The second interview was another two part interview exploring your professional experience more in depth and seeing how well you'd fit with the firm. The second part is a more in depth case interview similar to the previous one. The in person interview is an all day interview where you give a presentation on previous work, do two case interviews, and another professional experience interview.

The presentation has very clear guidelines and the people I presented too were very nice and encouraging. The case studies follow the same format as typical consulting interviews but are heavily focused on their work. I recommend you have a strong understanding of their ideas and how they do consulting. Other than that, everyone is really nice and encouraging!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate, salaries are standardized for the position.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FSG (Washington, DC) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted three weeks later for a phone interview. During the phone interview, I walked the hiring manager through my resume and she asked questions about my specific experiences. The phone interview lasted 45 minutes. About two days later, I was contacted to set up an in-person interview that includes a behavioral section and a case interview. The behavioral section lasted about an hour and a half and was completed over Skype and included very in-depth questions about my experiences. The interviewer was very pleasant although the technology failed quite a bit.

For the case interview I was handed a packet of slides with information and three core questions to answer. I was allowed less than an hour to get my information together. The case was based of of real work that FSG did in the past and included calculations. I would definitely practice the written case interview, especially if you have never worked with cases in the past.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why FSG?
      Q: Which FSG values resonate with you the most?
      Q: What sectors are you most passionate about?
      Q: Describe a time when you had to take constructive criticism and how did you react?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FSG.

Interview

Interview process was very friendly and enabled me to get to know a lot of employees. People were very smart, collegial, and have impressive work experience. Cases were examples of real work, rather than designed to trick you.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at FSG in April 2016.

Interview

I did a screening call with a senior consultant. I wasn't informed before that there would be a case component but there was. The interviewer always seemed pressed for time; all the typical screening questions were done in 10-15 minutes, and she rushed me the whole time. Some of the questions seemed kind of inappropriate (involved asking about my race and privilege). We did the case (about how to approach funding allocation and mission for a new foundation) and she cut me off, then she asked me if I had questions. She was extremely curt throughout.

Interview Questions

• How would you figure out what the pressing social problems facing a city are?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at FSG (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a 30 minute phone interview asking me about personality questions and then team-setting questions. It was good practice for other future interviews in case you weren't interested in this specific role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked through a problem in a team setting   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FSG (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had a wonderful experience interviewing with FSG. I truly enjoyed speaking with each person I interviewed with. All interviewers were incredibly pleasant and considerate, and had great insights to share with me about their experiences at FSG. During my job search, I had interviewed with 6 other firms, and FSG's recruiting process was the best one by far. I particularly appreciated the amount of information they shared with me regarding the interview process.

The interview process consisted of one 30 minute phone interview, a 1st round of in-person interviews (2 interviews), and a 2nd round of in-person interviews (4 interviews). There was a mix of "experience" interviews (essentially a regular behavioral interview) and case interviews in each round. The case interviews were specially developed for the role I was applying for and allowed me to demonstrate my ability to complete tasks relevant to the position. They also helped give me a sense of some of the work I would be expected to do if I were to be in this role. In the 2nd round, one of the interviewers took place over lunch at a nearby restaurant - I thought this was a nice touch.