FSG Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fulfilling work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at FSG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Dedicated, hardworking, passionate, kind, smart, and fun colleagues
    - Really fulfilling and personally meaningful work in the social sector
    - Wide variety of projects
    - Strong company culture around improvement and providing feedback
    - Less travel (for junior employees) relative to for-profit consulting

Cons

- Lower compensation given the hours
    - Workload can fluctuate a lot from week to week and month to month, depending on the projects and project stage

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to your values and mission, while increasing diversity and equity among employees. Try to build a more consistent pipeline of projects, so that staff aren't experiencing dramatic workload swings. Keep dancing!

"A great opportunity--with some challenges to consider"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at FSG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are incredible. There is a strong culture of helping others, teaching each other, and getting to know each other on a personal level. Projects are also fascinating-- not a typical consulting engagement. You will work across sectors and around the world on topics ranging from health, education, and development. I learned a tremendous amount during my time at FSG.

Cons

Work can become completely absorbing-- both because of the quantity, as well as the urgency that we constantly feel as a non-profit trying to deliver as much as possible with little resources. I would only recommend a job at FSG if you are very passionate about your work, but know how to disconnect emotionally in order to recharge your batteries. Work-life balance can become an exhausting juggling act.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management think of ways to provide more support to understaffed teams, and more encouragement/recognition of the hard work that is done.

"Working at FSG has resulted in a huge improvement in my overall quality of life because I love coming to work everyday."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The people - they are passionate, intelligent, and engaging. You can't help but feel proud to work for FSG. The communication here is top-notch. It's a very transparent company where everyone is valued at every level.

Cons

The compensation is not as high as a for-profit counterpart might pay, but still competitive. There is no 401k match, but this is offset by the 100% health insurance coverage.

Advice to Management

Management does an excellent job of uniting the various offices around the country. It has made IT a priority so that all employees are able to communicate almost as effectively as if we were together in person. Management values each of its employees' ideas, concerns, and opinions. Everyone's voices are heard. It also strives to get each employee in line with the vision of the firm.

"Rewarding"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Good work life balance
    Work on important social issues
    Inspiring and understanding leadership

Cons

Less pay than traditional consultancy

"Great place to learn and work, not that much to make money"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

You can make a real difference in tackling the world toughest problems and you can learn a lot a build an important network .

Cons

Given that you are not in the usual consulting business, sometimes is difficult to have results in the short term.

Advice to Management

I would highly encourage the Management team to hire people with a more international background given the challenges we are working with.

6. "Good employer"

I have been working at FSG full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Good benefits. Pays for the skills.

Cons

It's hard work which is anyway normal for the sector.

7. "Greatest Social Sector Firm in Progress"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

Pros

Wonderful dedication to the social sector and solidly grounded in approach areas. Well respected brand, rigorous approach to engagements, thorough knowledge of the sector, strong dedication to work-life balance and people.

Cons

Diversity is lacking across the firm and client base but a strong focus for continuous improvement internally and externally. Fee structure makes it difficult to serve non-elite client base.

Advice to Management

Keep up the strong standard of work and continue prioritizing diversity, equity and inclusion.

"Great place to work!"

Pros

1) The people - I love being surrounded by wonderful, smart, funny, and caring colleagues
    2) Culture / environment - generally colleagial, supportive, non-competitive
    3) Focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion - this is central to many discussions (both internally and externally) and seems to be top of mind across the firm
    4) Mission-driven - it is inspiring to work with so many people who are passionate about social change and creating social impact
    5) Very generous health benefits

Cons

1) Work/life balance: while FSG does try to help people find work/life balance, the amount of work assigned can be difficult to complete without working overtime. That said, FSG has been quite open to alternative working arrangements and flexible schedules.

Other: This is not a "con" but more of a personal preference. Many colleagues enjoy discussing sensitive / difficult (though very important) topics at length. This can be daunting for someone who is shy or introverted. I was uncomfortable with this initially, however I've grown to really enjoy this aspect as it has made me feel much closer to my colleagues than I have at other organizations. It has also helped me feel more comfortable in my own skin, and more at ease with opening up to others.

9. "FSG"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

The people at FSG are incredibly genuine, kind, and thoughtful. The impact of our work is very clear.

Cons

In my opinion, compensation is definitely the biggest con at FSG. They pay a little less than competitors, such as Bridgespan, but a lot less than the private sector

Advice to Management

I would consider compensation equity not just within job ranges but also across levels of the firm. Even a 10K increase in pay for junior staff would make a tremendous difference.

10. "Wonderful exposure to the social sector"

Pros

Smart, kind, and passionate people. Clients who are positioned to make major change in the social sector.

Cons

Tough work/life balance to sustain if you want to advance or have a family.

Advice to Management

You have built a terrific organization. It's worth the extra expense to make people feel well-compensated and valued, even in an environment of competing financial needs. Otherwise culture will suffer.