Federal Public Defenders Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Federal Public Defenders

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Columbus, OH) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online with a cover letter, references per their instructions after seeing the position online and went to their website. I received an email from the secretary about 1 month later inviting me to come in for an interview with a choice of one of two days and to return the application. The interview consisted of a panel of 3 attorneys, an administrative officer and two paralegals from a different office on the phone.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the technologies I used? Have I ever used Trialdirector at trial?   1 Answer
    • They also asked me how I would put together a process for the three offices of the Southern District   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Jackson, MS) in May 2013.

Interview

This was through an outside source and not from within the Defender's area. Also, this was an internship so there was no interview merely a cover letter stating why you wanted to be there.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Knoxville, TN) in April 2013.

Interview

I knew the director. So in general, the interview was pretty easy. I had a midterm interview at the end of the summer and then I got another half year internship.

Interview Questions

• What did you learn in your Evidence class? What have you learnt from the job?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Laredo, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Laredo, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

interviewed by three people, branch manager, asst manager and admin. asst. the asked questions like do you have problem working 8:30 to 5, said no problem, how much experience do you have

Interview Questions

• do you get along with people
      experience as a legal secretary
      can you handle stress
      1 Answer

Research and Writing Law Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Federal Public Defenders (Sacramento, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview was very casual. Met with the head of the department I would be working, and she asked about my previous experience at a county PD. She also asked me about the details of my writing sample which I had sent in, asking for more details, why I chose it as my writing sample, and how the motion was resolved.

I asked her about what kind of cases I would be working on, what subject matter I would see the most, and what possibilities I would have to get some experience outside of just research and writing.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected. If anything, I was surprised at how simply the interview process ended up being. However, from what I gathered, the writing sample was extremely important, given the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was an unpaid position.