Fusion Academy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fusion Academy Interview Questions

Interviews at Fusion Academy

2.6

Music Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fusion Academy in June 2017.

Interview

Met with the head of the school privately. Asked questions about my background. The teaching model there is unconventional and a source of pride to them. Being prepared with understanding what that is and why that sets them apart is important. I ended up declining because they couldn't offer full time hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit here.   Answer Question

Mar 12, 2018 – Leadership Recruiter

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking time to provide a positive experience review. Hopefully soon there will be an opportunity for you that meets your needs. Well wishes to you in your music teaching... More

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion Academy (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I had three interviews. The first was an initial conversation with the Head of School and Master Teacher that was similar to a standard interview. I was asked questions about my goals, skills, and experience. The administrators were open and inviting, and I never felt intimidated by the process. I was then invited back for the second part of the interview process, which was a mock teaching session. In this, I was asked to prepare a lesson and teach a 30 minute lesson to a staff member who was acting as a student. The Master Teacher observed the lesson and gave me feedback immediately after I had finished. He was straightforward and treated it more like training for me rather than an interview. I was then invited back for the third part, which was a short conversation where I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fusion Academy (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Sent resume. Quickly got phone screen and in-person interviews. The interview process included a simulated class environment with a problem student. There were also technical questions to verify basic competence in subject matter, but in an informal setting.

Interview Questions

• How would I deal with a student who is continuously fooling with their cellphone?   1 Answer

Math Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fusion Academy.

Interview

Fun process. It was long, but I learned a lot. It took about a month to get the offer. During the interview process I had to present a lesson to another teacher.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fusion Academy.

Interview

Started with a phone interview asking general questions about background. Had a second phone interview talking more about challenges overcome and how would you deal with students that have learning disabilities, etc.

Had a face to face interview with the director of that particular campus. They really seemed to be slipping in asides stating their preference of people coming from backgrounds where they don't require benefits such as medical. Whether or not that impacted their decision as I applied as preferably full-time requiring benefits is up for debate.

Overall pretty straightforward. One negative is that they explained the next "phase" of the interview is preparing and teaching a mock lesson that would be conducted in the week following the in person interview. The issue was that no contact was made explaining that they decided to move forward with other candidate(s). A week was wasted preparing specific and relevant material for their curriculum meanwhile they said prepare for the mock lesson. On top of that they weren't the one to initiate contact. Morale of the complaint is if you don't want someone to work for you, that is fine, but don't waste everyone's time having them prepare something you don't want.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain to a student that the subject they're learning is relevant and can be integrated into everyday life?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fusion Academy.

Interview

Someone scheduled a phone interview with me. On my scheduled day, I did not get a call from the interviewer as planned. I called the office, and finally got a call back from a different person (I think she was an assistant) who said the person who was supposed to interview me had something else going on but that she would interview me. The questions were pretty basic- I did not get a call back at all, I have a feeling that this was not because I didn't do well but because they are extremely disorganized. I followed up but did not get a response. From what I could tell this is a lot of work for very little pay.

Interview Questions

Fusion Academy Response

Dec 5, 2017 – Leadership Recruiter

Hi - thanks for this insight, we appreciate it. I work on leadership recruitment, but upon receipt of this message, we'd love to provide this feedback anonymously to the campus through the... More

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fusion Academy in January 2017.

Interview

Met with a couple of people at Fusion. One was a lovely woman who seemed to have a senior position and seemed to have some substantial degrees in Education. The other guy also had an administrative position and seemed to come from a background totally unrelated to education and more of a business background in something like fitness training. He seemed to be looking for "cool" and "hip" in the interviewees responses rather than asking really relevant questions about theories of teaching or how to handle a depressed student. My problem with private for profit educational places is that they often have administrators who last week ran a fitness club. or a mall shop. When will people understand that professional educators are professionals with expertise in a subject area--just like doctors, lawyers or engineers. Not anyone can be an educator; it is not a business.

Interview Questions

• He asked what my extracurricular interests were.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fusion Academy (Walnut Creek, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Spoke to heads of school and gave a demo lesson. I had a powerpoint prepared. Most of the questions were very easy to answer. Trick in demo lesson is to keep the student focused.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hermosa Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fusion Academy (Hermosa Beach, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

It was a quick turn around from the time I sent in an application to a phone interview. They seemed super upbeat and passionate about the education they provide.

Interview Questions

Fusion Academy Response

Nov 26, 2018 – Leadership Recruiter

Hi there! Thanks for taking time out of your day to write a review for us. We appreciate this feedback. If you'd like to provide offline feedback about declining the offer, I am happy to chat and... More

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fusion Academy (San Mateo, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The first round was a classic interview where they asked about background and experience in teaching as well as mentoring. It lasted about 45 minutes, and then I got a tour of the building. The second round was a mock-lesson where I taught another teacher a sample lesson lasting 50 minutes in a subject of the director's choice while the director evaluated me. The offer was made after this second round interview.

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult teaching experience thus far and how did you handle it?   Answer Question