GMO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at GMO

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, the guy seemed very smart and wanted to know oop concepts and some algo.
    In person the first time to meet the team , Interviewed by 5 people : C# high concept, the read and write code, math exercise and brain teaser and math. All cleared. second round was to meet upper management, and boy does it seem like a person's IQ goes down as they go up in rank in a financial company. Retrospectively , i should have left right when i was asked "prove to me that you can deliver" ... I wanted to say " i can't prove it, a proof is irrefutable! I can talk to you about how I rocked my previous projects until the cows come home, but that's not a proof. Give me a test project and time line and I will deliver it on time, and even that's not a complete proof. It's like saying prove to me that you're a good manager" .. but I didn't say that. Anyway they wanted contract, and I was looking for full time, so it didn't work out for them.

Interview Questions

• read this code, what does it do? write code to reverse a string, what is an interface vs an abstract class,   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me about this job. From there, I had a phone screen. This was followed by a 3 hour technical test and review on another day. On the third day, I came in for in person interviews that were one on one with almost everyone in the team they wanted me to join and HR. I believe on a separate day after this I met with two additional people, so overall the interview process was incredibly long.

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Easy Interview . Asked about my school projects . Particularly interested about the project i did on Content Management system as the position i was filling required knowledge on CMS.

Software Engineer Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

Interview was more focussed on my projects and previous experience.

Had two technical interviews, most of the questions are not that difficult.

Asked to walk through a programming question and explain different scenarios in testing

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Few of the process related questions are a bit though provoking   Answer Question

Operations Co-Op Interview

Application

Interview

30 minutes each with two members of the team and 30 minutes with a representative from HR. The HR interview was mostly behavioral. Also focused on past experience and career goals. Team members explained the position and gauged my interest in the industry. The interviewers were looking for someone interested in Investments but willing to start in an operations role.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Analyst Interview

Interview

3 month process, multliple rounds

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in January 2010.

Interview

The internship interview process was rather straightforward. I applied through the school website, and the person who I was going to work with first interviewed me over the phone. After the phone interview, I was brought in to first write a test (with questions mostly about probability, statistics and portfolio theory). After the written test, I had 3 interviews (2 with people from different divisions, and one with the head of the division). If the head likes you, you are in for all practical purposes.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would implement a simple portfolio optimizer in Matlab.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not neotiate

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GMO.

Interview

Phone screening, mostly behavioral.

Interviewed on site, questions weren't too difficult. Basic questions about programming and projects I've worked on. Talked with 3 people, one person in the department, the person who I would be working under and a manager. There were basic questions, the kind you would expect. Technical portion wasn't difficult.

Architect Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GMO.

Interview

Very lengthy and inefficient interview process involving several onsite interviews and numerous phone interviews. Meet several teams more than once. .

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GMO (Boston, MA) in March 2012.

Interview

Getting the interview set up through my recruiter was a pretty straightforward process.

The initial phone interview was pretty long (consider it preparation for the on-site), but mostly focused on experience to date with some technical questions along the way.

The on-site interview was incredibly long; I met with over 10 people spread over a little less than two days, though many of the people I interviewed with had to go through MANY more people. Despite its length, it was a very nice process. I got a really good glimpse of the cultural diversity of the firm and the type of people I would be working with on a daily basis. The rigor of the on-site is similar to the phone interview, perhaps slightly more technical if anything.

Interview Questions

• Describe what you would do if someone told you that they couldn't reach a certain webpage.   Answer Question