Gaba Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gaba Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.5

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation.

Interview

I applied online via Gaijinpot, and within a day or two I received a response asking for basically another application in their format. I found the recruiters very responsive, thorough, kind, and professional. Gaba requires a first interview, then a follow-up interview task prior to asking you for a second interview. The interview task has multiple items including writing a short story to judge creativity, writing out teaching role-plays, and answering questions about Gaba and your intentions/goals. After that is submitted, they will get in touch with you about a second interview. During the first interview, you do a teaching role play that does not count, and they give you feedback. During the second interview, you have 2 role plays - one that you are prepared for and one that is on the spot. They seem to be looking for how well you incorporated their feedback. I was told I'd find out their decision within 2 weeks and I found out on the 13th day. I will say it was impossible to have a feel for whether or not I'd be offered the job, so it's best to just keep busy until you find out!

Interview Questions

• Teach other ways to say "do you want..." to a business client.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Norman, OK) in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy and straightforward. I applied and within a week I received an email scheduling an interview. I was in the United States, so interviews were held via Skype. There are three "phases", two of which you do a 5-minute mock lesson. They are very professional, although during the interview, you have no image of the interviewers (you are essentially talking to a black screen). Overall, the interview process is concise.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between "hear" and "listen"? You must describe this to a low-level client.   2 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial communication was a bit slow as I didn't hear back any response for over a week. After hearing, however, communication was professional. The interview was conducted over the phone.

ALT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

1 hour skype interview. Needed a video camera. Asked questions about resume and why I wanted to have the job. Asked questions about Japan and why i wanted to go. Gave a spelling and grammar test about 5 questions each. You could easily go on google to find the correct spellings if you forgot it. Japanese test, with questions like what are your hobbies, how are you, what is the weather like. They told me to pretend that I'm teaching a class 3 new emotion words. I used happy sad and angry.

Interview Questions

• Sample english lesson plan   1 Answer

Too many bad reviews of the company and I didn't think I did a good job but they still hired me. Made me feel that they would hire anyone.

Gaba Corporation Response

Oct 6, 2014 – Instructor Recruiter

Hello, I'm glad you were offered an ALT position but I'm afraid that your review was not for a position at Gaba - as a private language school we do not have ALT positions (i.e. working in a ... More

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very transparent. The initial step was simply to fill out an online form and submit a CV/Resume and cover letter. Then I was sent a general questionnaire to ensure I understood the nature of the position as well as location preferences, etc.
    The next step involved a simple skype interview where I was asked why I wanted to work for Gaba, why I wanted to work as an English instructor and why I wanted to work in Japan, etc.
    Following that, I had a more in-depth paperwork assignment which asked me to write a short story, describe how I would handle certain teaching situations, and what steps I would need to take to transition to the job.
    The last step was a final skype interview where I was asked to role-play an actual teaching situation.
    I was impressed with the interviewers. They were very professional and spoke clearly. They were careful to make sure I understood the nature of the job, pay, benefits (or lack thereof).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was trying to role-play a teaching situation over skype with no video.   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation.

Interview

I attended an information seminar in London (October 2015), where I learned a lot about the company and then asked for a short interview because of the distance to my hometown. I had a skype interview in Nov '15 and was offered a position 2 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Please explain the difference between 'hear' and 'listen'.   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Umeda, Osaka (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Umeda, Osaka (Japan)).

Interview

The interview was pretty standard. Most people apply through a website called Gaijin Pot in Japan. After applying, I was emailed by the HR representative in the Kansai Area inviting me to a group interview at their Umeda Learning Studio. First interview was a group interview where there was group discussion and questions. The group session was very much an introduction to the company and what they do in Japan. Like any group interview, just be sure to share your thoughts and opinions. Second round interview was a bit more focused on checking English ability of candidates and potential ability to teach. Candidates are asked to complete a few short tests based on grammar and tenses. Then there are 1 on 1 interviews where you are asked standard job interview questions.

English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shinjuku (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Shinjuku (Japan)) in February 2017.

Interview

Had an initial interview where the interviewer asked personal questions to get to know me and a quick question on how to answer an imaginary student. After the interview, got sent a form to fill out with more information about myself and some hypothetical questions students might ask, took about 30 minutes to fill out.
    He later told me that in order to get the work visa to Japan, you have to have 40 hours worked each week, and only time with students counts as work time. Also only about 60% of new teachers get their time filled. So in order to get 40 hours filled each week, you're going to have to be at Gaba for around 65 hours a week. The pay is limited for the first 6 months to 1,500 yen/hour, so if you spread out the pay over 65 hours, you're only getting about 920 yen/hour. Their main thing for teachers to work there is their 'flexibility schedule', so you can either choose to work 5, 13 hour days, or choose to work 6, 11 hour days. The pay is horrible compared to other teaching jobs and the hours insane for new teachers, if you need the visa. I didn't end up getting the job, but I would have declined the offer if they had given it to me anyways. The whole job seems like it's more about selling yourself as a product, to get guaranteed students in the future, and less about teaching.

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was quite simplistic. There were two interviews and some general questions were asked as expected. Both times there was a short teaching demo with the interviewer of 5 minutes or so. The first interview I had in person because they had a recruiter come in from Japan. The interview at first was fine, but then he hit me with the unexpected teaching demo. I was to play the instructor while the interview played the role of a beginner level adult client. I was asked to explain the difference between borrow and lend to a beginner level client.

Once the interview was over, the interviewer informed me that he would send me a work sheet to fill out. It basically had teaching scenarios for me to answer and they would use it as part of my assessment. However, it was stated in this package that was sent to me the completion of the work sheet doesn't automatically grant me a second interview. So I assume that they may end the interview process if your first interview, paired with the worksheet weren't up to their standards. However, I did get the second interview so I wouldn't know exactly.

I was contacted after to schedule my second appointment and this may take some time since it doesn't all happen within a single week. My second interview was done online via skype in which the second interview is more focused on the teaching demos. Luckily this time I was expecting it so it wasn't surprising. For me personally, I was asked to do the same demo I did in the first interview and another demo the interviewer chooses from the work sheet package I submitted. Once more I was playing the instructor and I had to adjust my level of language to the client's level.

They would take at most 10 days to deliberate whether they'd give an offer or not. It is not based solely on the interviewer's decision alone as they will discuss all candidates in a team. They finally got back to me on the 9th day since there was a national holiday in this time frame of deliberation. I was unsuccessful and I was disappointed, but I had an overall good experience with the interviews. Both the interviewers were incredibly nice, polite and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the difference between "borrow" and "lend"?   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Tokyo (Japan)) in August 2016.

Interview

This was one of the worst interview processes I have ever attended. It was unnecessarily time-consuming and the recruiters lacked basic communication and interpersonal skills I would have assumed necessary for assessing candidates. Also, given they were once English teachers, I found myself fearing for their students. In addition to their frosty demeanors, my two interviewers had thick accents that I, as a native American speaker, found challenging to understand.

I found it impossible to build rapport with the recruiters. I am very friendly and outgoing and have no problem connecting with people. They asked me very few questions about myself, clearly uninterested in my reasons for applying or being in Japan. They were robotic and never smiled. During my second interview, the interviewer instructed me not to make any arrangements for the 3 days of training - which indicated she would not be making me an offer. I found this most unprofessional conduct for this stage of an interview. However, after I found out the training is unpaid, I withdrew my application anyway.

The lesson planning material they had me use during the lesson was of an appallingly poor quality. Honestly, you can find better materials from a Google search. I would be embarrassed teaching students (who are paying 5000JPY+ for lessons) this juvenile material.

Gaba also does not provide compensation for the 27 hours of training they require before you can begin teaching. This is exploitative and disrespectful to employees. However, the reviews here are evidence enough of the lack of respect Gaba has for its employees. The wage is WELL below market offering and even during their elevator pitch in the 1st interview (which honestly felt like I was in a timeshare sales meeting), it's clear the ability to progress is limited.

It's very clear that Gaba is a company that favors one thing above all else - profit for their corporate staff. The recruitment process was sterile and clearly, their recruiters are unable to connect effectively with candidates, meaning turnover is high when they inevitably hire people who are unsuited to teaching.

Stay far clear from this company, unless you like working for free and being treated as though your time is worthless.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between two words
      Perform a mock lesson for a student who is very late
      Answer Question