Gaba Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Gaba Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2017

2.6

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation.

Interview

I applied online via Gaijinpot, and within a day or two I received a response asking for basically another application in their format. I found the recruiters very responsive, thorough, kind, and professional. Gaba requires a first interview, then a follow-up interview task prior to asking you for a second interview. The interview task has multiple items including writing a short story to judge creativity, writing out teaching role-plays, and answering questions about Gaba and your intentions/goals. After that is submitted, they will get in touch with you about a second interview. During the first interview, you do a teaching role play that does not count, and they give you feedback. During the second interview, you have 2 role plays - one that you are prepared for and one that is on the spot. They seem to be looking for how well you incorporated their feedback. I was told I'd find out their decision within 2 weeks and I found out on the 13th day. I will say it was impossible to have a feel for whether or not I'd be offered the job, so it's best to just keep busy until you find out!

Interview Questions

• Teach other ways to say "do you want..." to a business client.   1 Answer

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation in October 2016.

Interview

The interviews for an English teacher at Gaba Corp. are reasonably extensive. It can be daunting to relocate from your native country to Japan with the goal of teaching English. Teaching English in Japan is a highly competitive marketplace, and it felt as though the first two interview sessions (conducted over Skype) were two lectures. Personal conviction is essential. The time differences during these interviews can be a little difficult. Make sure you're well dressed.

Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Norman, OK) in June 2015.

Interview

Very easy and straightforward. I applied and within a week I received an email scheduling an interview. I was in the United States, so interviews were held via Skype. There are three "phases", two of which you do a 5-minute mock lesson. They are very professional, although during the interview, you have no image of the interviewers (you are essentially talking to a black screen). Overall, the interview process is concise.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between "hear" and "listen"? You must describe this to a low-level client.   5 Answers

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial communication was a bit slow as I didn't hear back any response for over a week. After hearing, however, communication was professional. The interview was conducted over the phone.

ALT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

1 hour skype interview. Needed a video camera. Asked questions about resume and why I wanted to have the job. Asked questions about Japan and why i wanted to go. Gave a spelling and grammar test about 5 questions each. You could easily go on google to find the correct spellings if you forgot it. Japanese test, with questions like what are your hobbies, how are you, what is the weather like. They told me to pretend that I'm teaching a class 3 new emotion words. I used happy sad and angry.

Interview Questions

Too many bad reviews of the company and I didn't think I did a good job but they still hired me. Made me feel that they would hire anyone.

Gaba Corporation Response

Oct 6, 2014 – Instructor Recruiter

Hello, I'm glad you were offered an ALT position but I'm afraid that your review was not for a position at Gaba - as a private language school we do not have ALT positions (i.e. working in a... More

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation in May 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very transparent. The initial step was simply to fill out an online form and submit a CV/Resume and cover letter. Then I was sent a general questionnaire to ensure I understood the nature of the position as well as location preferences, etc.
    The next step involved a simple skype interview where I was asked why I wanted to work for Gaba, why I wanted to work as an English instructor and why I wanted to work in Japan, etc.
    Following that, I had a more in-depth paperwork assignment which asked me to write a short story, describe how I would handle certain teaching situations, and what steps I would need to take to transition to the job.
    The last step was a final skype interview where I was asked to role-play an actual teaching situation.
    I was impressed with the interviewers. They were very professional and spoke clearly. They were careful to make sure I understood the nature of the job, pay, benefits (or lack thereof).

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was trying to role-play a teaching situation over skype with no video.   Answer Question

English Instructor Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation.

Interview

1 interview to get a feeling of you, mostly to see who you are and how you present yourself. Then a second interview to show your teaching capabilities and any questions that you may before they consider hiring you.

English Instructor Interview

Interview

Got done with my first interview via Skype. The interviewer was very friendly and the questions were focused more on Japan and what my motivations were for moving to Japan. I was also asked to do a demo lesson which I do not think I did a good job of. After the interview, I was given an interview task, basically testing my English and teaching skills. I have been appointed a second interview now.

English Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shinjuku (Japan)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Shinjuku (Japan)) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview was just the same as in any other companies. You just have to be honest and give it your hest shot. It was on the spot which was very good since you'll be able to do some stuff after your interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st interview:
      You fill out some forms then proceed with the interview.
      The questions were basic. It was like a getting to know you more phase. Then they asked me to explain funny and interesting to a beginner client.

2nd interview:
      I was informed before hand to prepare to explain for funny and interesting (but the nerves though killed me). I believe i did ok with that then BOOM another roleplay with a beginner client about practice activities then they'll give you very precise feedback (which was really good since it was structured and on point)

Then that's it.   Answer Question

English Teaching Person Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gaba Corporation (Tokyo (Japan)) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty basic. Watched a video, asked questions, and then had a personal interview. It was pretty standard. If you prepare and come dressed for the part, like any interview, you should do fine. The people are friendly, but the first interview does take a few hours, and can be boring. There is a short assignment, why do you want to teach, what interested you about GABA, tell us a good or bad experience, and some very easy grammar matching.

Interview Questions

• Explain difference between hold and carry.   1 Answer