General Dynamics Electric Boat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

General Dynamics Electric Boat Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.3

Designer Interview

Interview

Let me start by saying it took 45 days from the time I submitted my application and resume on line to get the phone interview appointment and another 46 days till I recieved an offer.
    A human resource rep. contacted me to schedual the interview with a department lead person, on the day of the interview the phone call came to me 10 minutes late, he wasn't the person who HR said it would be, and apologised for being late and stated he almost forgot the appointment. The interview was fairly standard with the questioning and I had the opportunity to ask some questions as well. Because the position I was applying for is across country, a friend suggested I ask if relocation expences would be offered so I did. He directed me to ask human resources. 46 days later I receive an offer by phone, because I have not worked for a few months I quickly accepted the offer and asked questions later, hindsight told me I should have asked questions first. About relocation expences, I was told only salary positions get compensation, hourly unionized positions do not, its not in their contract. I'm not sure if I had asked for it before accepting the offer it would have made a difference or not.... Food for thought. Another major issue, I was told it takes 12 to 14 weeks to get security clearance through the DoD before they can give me a start date. News reports from the local area are stating major backlogs in getting securty clearence that would normally take 40 days for secret and 80 days for top secret but in reality could take as much as a year. At this point I'm about 10 weeks in hoping the 12 to 14 week estimate wait time is accurate. After discovering this security clearence pitfall I called HR and the rep. stated EB is working on starting some people without the clearence, but that it could take some time to do because its never been done before. I hope this was helpful for you.

Interview Questions

• Am I willing to share what I learn with others?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Basically none, its unionized. Pay grade is the same across the board.

Engineer I Interview

Interview

After you arrive and check in with HR an employee takes you on a tour of the shipyard. Then they send you to the department that has the opening you are applying for. If that department is in New London like this one, they provide transportation from the HR office. After the interview you get a paid for lunch with an employee, giving you time to ask additional questions. All in all it was a great experience.

Engineering Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Bremerton, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

I have had 2 Engineering Supervisor interviews with the same person. Simple interview lasting 30 mins. I had a copy of many of the questions so I was able to work on them prior to the interview. I also had copies of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What Are Your Strengths

• Communications and Interpersonal Skills

• Planning Organizing, Implementing

• Meeting Objectives

• Working Collaborative to Achieve Goals

• Strategic Planning

• Ability to Multitask

What Are Your Weaknesses (turn into strength)

Tell me about the most boring job or task you’ve had.
      Why was it boring? How did you handle the boredom?

What do You Bring to Electric Boat?
      (Dept. 445, and why should we hire you)

When you have needed into enter a team of people that has already been functioning, what have you found to be some effective techniques? Please give some actual examples. (Situation/Action/Results)

Please give example of how you have been able to establish rapport with another person quickly. (Pay attention to the process this candidate went through) (Situation/Action/Results)

What bosses have you worked most effectively for and why?

How do you show people you are listening to them?

Why should you be considered for this position?

Give some examples of experiences in your career that were satisfying.
      Dissatisfying? Why? Did you try to make any changes as a result?

What are some of the recent responsibilities you have taken on? Why? How did you prepare to assume these responsibilities?

Describe some situations you gave it your all,
      but failed (didn’t achieve a goal)

We’ve all had occasions where something fell through the cracks. Can you give examples when this happen to you? Cause? Results?

Can you give some examples when you found errors in your work? Causes? How did you handle it?

What kind of decisions do you tend to make rapidly?
      Which one do you take more time on? Examples
      Answer Question

Administrative Aide Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in October 2016.

Interview

Very simple. Was called in for an interview. Got a visitors badge and was met by the supervisor. It was only about an hour and was very professional yet laid back. There were lots of people in the employee office. Major hiring going on right now.

Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and heard back to schedule the interview within a week. Once you arrive in Groton, an employee takes you on a Shipyard tour. After that, you take the shuttle to the New London office when you are met by an employee and brought to your interviewer. Once the interview is complete, and employee takes you to a paid for lunch, where you can ask anything else you were wondering about the company, location, etc. After that you are brought back to the shuttle and you turn in your badge and head home.

Interview Questions

• They mostly asked about how you perform in groups, how you deal with minor details, errors, mistakes, slacking group members, etc.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Groton, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (Groton, CT) in September 2016.

Interview

Interview was straight forward, took several hours. Involved meeting with 2 interviewers. Many good quality questions were asked, but interviewers were positive, and personable. Format was organized, no trick questions. Several technical questions were asked that I did not know the answer to, and indicated immediately that I wasn't familiar with the technology they were asking about, and thought it a better choice to indicate that I had no prior knowledge or experience with it.

Interview Questions

• As a Project Manager, How would I handle a project that I did not have any prior experience with ?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (North Kingstown, RI).

Interview

Very laid back interview. Asked basic questions. I got some of the technical questions wrong, but it didn't change anything. It was more about my problem solving abilities and ability to relate to the tradespersons.

Material Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewed by 3 members of the material planning staff, would have been 5 but the other 2 senior members were away for various reasons. Started interview with the senior member providing an overview of the job description and from there I was asked questions about everything on my resume. Interview lasted an hour.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about EB and why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Kingstown, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat (North Kingstown, RI) in August 2016.

Interview

The whole process took approximately 3 months. I submitted my resume to the GDEB website and after approximately 3 weeks I was called and told I had been selected for an in person interview. During the initial interview I spoke to my direct supervisor for approximately 1 hour about my various experiences and why I feel I would be right for this job. Approximately 2 weeks after my initial interview I was contacted by my staffing specialist and was asked if I could come in for a second interview. The second interview lasted approximately 1 hour and I interviewed again with my direct supervisor as well as the department manager. Questions were straight forward and the interview process seemed "normal" for a large company.

Interview Questions

• Please explain project management experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate my salary as the offer I accepted was higher than my current salary. I was prepared to take a reduction in salary in order to work for General Dynamics, but it was not necessary.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at General Dynamics Electric Boat.

Interview

Very straightforward. It was for an entry level position. They are looking for hardworking individuals they can teach the business. Only one face to face interview and offered a position directly after interview.