Getaround Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Getaround Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2018

2.5

Senior Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Getaround.

Interview

HR reached out and we talked about the role. Then, had an hour-long call with one of the PMs which went well. I was given a homework assignment that has to be finished within 24 hours. Spent at least 10 hours working on the assignment covering all aspects - business problem identification, pain point analysis, use case definition, solutions, and prioritization. Received a plain message saying that they are not moving forward with the process. They didn't offer any reason why. No basic professionalism when the candidate spends 10 hours of time. I interviewed last year and the position is still open. This tells me that they are just fishing for ideas and not serious about hiring. Stay away!

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Getaround.

Interview

2 phone interviews and a 2 hour in person interview. The employees interviewing me seemed genuinely uninterested. Their tone of voice was like someone was forcing them to do the interviews. Maybe they had been interviewing candidates all day? The front desk person was incredibly nice. Didn't strike me as a wonderful place to work. I could be wrong.

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Getaround.

Interview

tl;dr: Quite possibly one of the most ridiculous interview processes I've ever been through, where the company did full 180s for reasons beyond my understanding. The recruiter's tone was a full 180 from the engineer I spoke with initially and they did a full 180 on my candidacy and didn't even bother to explain why...

One of their engineers reached out to me over email and introduced me to the hiring manager, saying that they would love to talk with me and learn what I'm looking for. I expressed interest in one of their roles but also expressed concern over the poor Glassdoor reviews.
    He made some headway in alleviating those concerns over email, so I decided to give it a chance and hop on a phone call.

I appreciated his candor and honesty in answering my difficult questions. He felt the company was doing its best to listen to all employees and address their concerns and gave concrete examples of this. He said he really enjoyed talking to me and at the end of the call invited me to an on-site.

I get sent to an internal recruiter to handle coordination. The recruiter starts with the ever classic "what are you looking for?", except in this case, it makes absolutely no sense as the point of our call was supposed to be coordinating an on-site and I've already answered many of these questions in the previous interview... I tell the recruiter that it feels like we just took a step back, and instead of agreeing with me, he tells me I went way too fast through the process…
    (while I won't disagree that an on-site after one interview is on the faster side, it's not the first time I've experienced that, and faster is usually better)

It's pretty obvious that there's disorganization on their side, but the recruiter continues with his questions as if it were totally normal, nothing went wrong, and this were somehow the first phone screen I had with the company... The total lack of apology / lack of admission of any mistake was really striking to me, but the recruiter seemed to not care or remotely empathize that they're basically having me restart the process after having been invited to an on-site... I'm a getting a bad taste in my mouth already...

While the recruiter is repeating some of the questions that the engineer asked, his questions have a distinctly different wording and tone -- it feels like he's very skeptical of me. It felt like he had preconceived negative notions about me and didn't really care about any of my answers as a result... This is a pretty awful, biased interaction already, but it's doubly bad because it lays in **stark** contrast with the initial reach out and my initial conversation with the engineer. At the end of the call, he says he'll review my candidacy with the hiring manager and will get back to me after...

I express confusion / frustration because I had already been invited for an on-site. He responds that he wants to verify with the hiring manager before proceeding. His wording and tone makes it feel like he had already rejected me before the call even started and as if the recruiter is trying to right a wrong the engineer made by even talking to me (let alone inviting me to an on-site).

Unsurprisingly, I get a contextless, explanationless, generic rejection email from the recruiter the next day. Basically I got a "nevermind" on that on-site I was invited to. There's no apology about the confusion or disorganization, and it unironically says "we didn't find a strong fit", even though clearly the engineer thought otherwise...

A disorganized mess, complete with 180s, preconceived biases, and generic rejections. I can only imagine the kind of contradictions within the company...

Interview Questions

• Q: Why are you interested in Getaround? Have you ever used the app?   1 Answer
    • Q: What is your management philosophy? (x2)   Answer Question
    • Q: Tell me about your background (x2)   Answer Question

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Getaround in May 2018.

Interview

The current Getaround office manager reached out to me via email to schedule a phone interview. Overall the interview was very brief and easy. She didn't ask any difficult questions, the questions were simple operation questions. I felt like I asked her more difficult questions about the company, their values and their work than she asked me as a candidate. I asked her what are the next steps to the interview process and she said it'll be an in-office interview with two senior operations and that I would hear back within a week. I never heard back from her or even got an email regarding my status (rejection or moving forward).

Trust and Safety Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Getaround (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

3 to 4 hours of interviews and scenarios.

1. interview with senior manager
    2. interview with low level manager
    3. interview with other agents
    4. customer service phone scenarios
    5. spreadsheeting exercise

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Can you be on call on weekends?
      Tell us about yourself.
      How do you feel about an entry level job?   1 Answer

Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Getaround in March 2018.

Interview

It was a quick phone call with a person with the same title from another market. The guy sounded like I was bothering him from watching Netflix. He sounded so uninterested and the questions were basic questions as to why I applied. It was a quick 15 min boring chat. It was astonishing that they don't use actual recruiters and this guy was probably mad because it's not part of his job title, I don't blame him. This was a huge flag so I chose not to move forward

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply, why Getaround, what skills do you have from your current job that will in this role?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Getaround (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

I didn't officially apply but rather had been referred by an employee at Getaround. A recruiter reached out to me about a week later to set up a phone interview with one of their senior engineers. The interview question wasn't too hard – basically a graph problem (something like get dependencies for each folder). I almost solved it but ran out of time. Then I got an email to set up another tech interview over phone with another senior engineer at Getaround. This one was less algorithmic and more about you being resourceful and/or experienced in building APIs. I was asked to build a fake API in Python in three steps. I didn't have a lot of experience with Python but the interviewer was super nice and helpful.
    I had a response two business days after. I got rejected because they were looking for people with more industry experience.
    But overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Build an API in Python with a fake server.
      The API should:
      1. Let users create cars
      2. Let users get cars
      3. Have an auth-system (if enough time)   Answer Question

Operations Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Getaround in January 2018.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an operations coordinator from another city. Then spoke with a GM in another city via webcam. I felt both interviews went pretty well, outside of being a few minutes late for the webcam interview. It sounded like a pretty easy job that they were trying to make sound much more difficult than it needed to be.

Interview Questions

• Describe how your past roles prepared you for this type of work.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Getaround in January 2018.

Interview

Applied via the company website and heard back from the sales manager 2 weeks later requesting to have a phone interview. The phone interview took place and had a pleasant conversation with the sales manager regarding my work background, the specifics of the role, and expectations if hired. I had the opportunity to ask questions to which the sales manager answered very well. After asking about next steps, the sales manager informed that if they decided to proceed with my candidacy, I would be notified for a follow up phone call. I allowed 2 weeks to pass with no word from Getaround before I sent a quick email to follow up. 4 weeks since the interview sent a second follow up email and still have not heard back. Hey I get it, I ultimately did not fit the profile of the candidate you were looking for. However, a simple email informing me of the decision would have been appreciated and certainly appeared professional. If this is how the company treats candidates interested in working at the company I can't imagine how they treat they're actual employees, or customers for that matter.

Trust and Safety Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Getaround (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. Four interviews back to back.

All the interviewers were nice and welcoming The recruiting team on the other hand is subpar. They took weeks to update me on the status of my application.c Apparently the recruiter said 'she forgot', still very unprofessional. Also, zero feedback was provided. You would think that candidates who prepare for hours or days prior to an interview would receive some sort of minimal feedback.

Finally, none of the interviewers were able to justify Getaround's hefty 40 percent cut from the car rental. I wanted to understand the product but this may not been welcomed by the interviewers.