Getaround Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.1
Sam Zaid

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Growth oriented, disruptive, and genuine startup with huge potential"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- brilliant, hardworking team
    - new product, new industry
    - growth mindset

Cons

- not a household name
    - risk of any startup

Advice to Management

Continue to advance tech innovations in hardware and software to be at the forefront of the changing automotive landscape. Launch new markets fast.

"Great team and interesting work"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very exciting and challenging projects as we continue to scale. Great perks like catered lunches, flexible work from home time and great leadership.

Cons

A lot of work and not enough people, however, our company is very focused on hiring the right people so we can continue to scale.

"Fast Paced Start Up, Great People!"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getaround is a fast growing company, which makes it a very exciting place to work. That being said, they also value their current employee and treat us well. They work very hard to make sure that employees are happy with initiatives such as Engagement Surveys, OKRs, plenty of snacks, and catered lunches. Managers are very understanding when you need to take a day for a doctor's appointment or other personal reasons, and there's an unlimited PTO policy which is really great. They provide you with the tools to do your job well and grow.

Cons

It would be great if we had more codified internal processes in place. We are growing so fast, sometimes it takes the processes longer to catch up.

"A very exciting (but still maturing) company"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Really smart, nice folks. People here strike a good balance of professionalism and collaboration. I see people tapping one another on the shoulder for conversation constantly, across functions and levels of experience.
    - They've figured out (and now push the frontiers of) a really interesting and complex business. Renting a cars peer-to-peer & in the real world is a challenging two-sided marketplace like Airbnb's (with some interesting differences I won't get into here).
    - Meaty technical challenges across consumer experiences (iOS, Android, Web), scaled/distributed infrastructure (services powering e.g. search & device telemetry run in containers on GKE), and the custom IoT device embedded in cars ( firmware and hardware)
    - Users have validated that the product makes sense
    - Investors have validated that Getaround's business makes sense
    - Getaround's mission is to empower people to carshare everywhere. This directly results in less need for cars, which makes cities better and reduces emissions (dramatically). If you care about these things, know that the central profit engine at Getaround directly aligns with making the world better. This is one of those rare companies where this impact is for real.

Cons

- Gaps in HR ability. E.g. people don't have clearly-documented paths for advancement in each role.
    - The company needs some more leadership capability. It only just hired a VP Marketing, and sorely needs a VP People (to address some of the items above)
    - While the mission is clear, particular projects that Getaround pursues are head- scratchers
    - Overwork is episodic, and has generally become much more stable as the company hires stronger managers. But there are a couple teams that get hit more often.

Advice to Management

- Take care of your people. You've increased perks and compensation across the board, and that's been really welcome. But all the other initiatives that a VP of People would pursue shouldn't be on hold.
    - Articulate a clearer strategy for the company. It should be a way to apply core strength of ours to a key opportunity in a way that others are ignoring or will have trouble copying. Getaround's strategy should be obvious when we hear it, and it should align everyone in a focused effort. Make the hard decision to say no to projects that do not serve our strategy.

5. "Fast moving, fun workplace culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getaround is a midstage startup. It feels like a midstage startup. It's filled with passionate hard working people who deeply believe in making the world a better place.

Getaround moves fast, real fast. Everyone believes in a fail fast mentality. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Iterate, improve, keep moving. I personally love that culture. It's the most fun I've ever had a company.

The benefits are surprisingly great considering it's a startup. Also Getaround pays for $30 of your lunches every week.

Cons

The speed and excitement are not for everyone though. Don't work for Getaround if you're looking for a cushy corporate job.

Advice to Management

Launch more markets!

"Great team with an amazing product and tons of growth potential"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with a so many creative and smart people. Everyone is very committed to make this car-sharing platform a successful reality. The new Uber partnership is huge, and I'm excited to see where things go from here!
    Upper management is building a strong foundation for future growth with regular checkins, engagement surveys, and the D&I committee.

Cons

The SF office is filling up so it can be tricky to find a meeting room, but I heard we should be expanding soon.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to take risks!

"Getaround is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator

I have been working at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture and amazing people to work with.
    Everyday is exciting and engaging.
    Working in a company that is promoting real change across the country is a great experience.
    Employees have autonomy on what they want to work on.

Cons

Change can happen rapidly without notice.
    Workload is not consistent.
    Benefits could be better.

"Growing fast, passionate team, combo of scrappy and process-driven"

I have been working at Getaround full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast growing company with lots of exciting partnerships/projects in the works
    - Colleagues who are very hardworking and passionate about fighting for growth
    - As an employee, Getaround doesn't have everything figured out. There is still lots of room to make changes, improve processes, etc at every level.
    - Being scrappy is still encouraged to test ideas, but once we are ready to roll out the tests in a larger way, we are very process-driven.
    - While the company is far from perfect, things have drastically improved over the past two years.

Cons

- There is a lot of overlap between departments. Not always clear who owns what projects.
    - We are working on a ton of different projects at once and we are resource constrained. We need to hire more people as we keep growing.

"Employee"

I worked at Getaround full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, if 0 stars was an option that's what I would have given Getaround.

The employees are hard working and great people
    Cool space
    Catered food
    The team leads and the VP of Product care deeply about the individuals on their teams

Cons

This is the worst company I've worked for so far. I don't even know where to start.

The company culture is horrible, and there is NO work-life balance. Be prepared to get pinged by management nights, weekends, holidays and don’t ever take any unplanned leave for emergencies. The C-level management is unprofessional and has no shame in sending employees a nasty message via flowdock aka slack. The CFO thinks he should be the CEO and the CEO could care less about the people.

When Executives are asked questions by employees during meetings where questions are encouraged the answers are dodged, dishonest, or just bad. They tell employees what they want them to hear so as not to get more attrition.

The company has been around since 2007 and can't even get a sign outside of their office that says Getaround. (pathetic)

Leads and managers need training but the CFO doesn't see value in a knowledgeable staff of leaders.

Advice to Management

Fix the toxic environment you've created before moving your product forward or get the company acquired. Maybe take some management classes because it's clear that the C-level executives have never scaled or run a startup before. And do yourself the favor of not boosing your own Glassdoor reviews with fake posts from management. You're not fooling anyone!

"Great people, I don't recommend working there"

I worked at Getaround full-time

Pros

The people who work there are mostly great. They work hard, are smart and care about the work they do.

Cons

Resource-constraint, no support from executive suite, stressful culture, employees are overworked and underpaid, and too many early stage startup problems for a Series C funded company.